Page 79 of 207 FirstFirst ... 296975767778798081828389129179 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 3091

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Yes.

Fling chains to Crater.

Crater chains to Thunderclap.

Potential Visual: Arx grabs opponent (inflicts normal damage for attack type), leaps into the air, and hurls them toward the ground, far away (possibly into the middle of other enemies!) FLING. Opponent flies like a bullet and slams into the ground, creating an immense explosion that damages the area around their impact point CRATER THUNDERCLAP.

Done.
    Now the bigger question, does Arx have the strength for a crater or a thunderclap.

Also. If she were to grab someone, would she also inflict LACERATE, because of her trait?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Small correction to the multi-slot techniques, involving Epic & Epic.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Now the bigger question, does Arx have the strength for a crater or a thunderclap.

Also. If she were to grab someone, would she also inflict LACERATE, because of her trait?
    1) Crater and Thunderclap are effects generated by a Technique, they are not tied to prerequisite STR score but their effect is intensified the more STR you have.

2) No, the Lacerate effect is on normal attacks only, it does not apply to her Techniques unless Lacerate is duly applied to a suitable Technique.

Neat!

Thank you for make brain think easy.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post

Okay, so let's look at this and I'll give my opinion.

1. If you have a Strength above a certain level, you can automatically choose to inflict FLING on someone, I believe. That is completely independent of a technique. If you have a technique with a number of things added to it, you might want to wait to inflict your free fling to another time, to keep from throwing the guy away before you can 'grapple' (if that is part of the tech!).

2. If it's part of the tech, you need to see if it works. For example, if you want to start up a chain that leads with a FLING, FLING works on a contest of Attack STR versus AGL. If you beat their agility, your combo starts up. Hooray! Clearly you want a high strength to start this combo. And this continues for each of the parts of the chain. Next one is CRATER, which compares STR versus SPD + SKL/2. If you win that, great, you add a crater effect to this poor guy. If you fail, I imagine the Chain stops. Let's say you get CRATER, and want to continue. Next is THUNDERCLAP. THUNDERCLAP is STR versus RES. If you also beat his RES with your strength, boom, the THUNDERCLAP goes off.

Clearly it would be wise to have this Technique get a STR bonus so you can overcome like...four different stats to get the entire chain combo. ^_^ More strong you are, better chances you'll win the contest of stats (STR versus AGL, STR versus SPD+SKL/2, STR versus RES).

3. If your basic attacks inflict LACERATE, I would say 'no, you don't get a LACERATE'. Why? This is a Technique attack, not a Basic one. HOWEVER, if Nik allows people to just 'grapple' as a basic attack, and works out a system for it, then sure, why not?

Alternately, if Arx develops a new TRAIT that allows her to 'Choose GRAPPLE when doing a basic attack' (obviously she wouldn't want that all the time, she'd rather have choice), and then uses GRAPPLE with a Basic attack...I don't see why it wouldn't inflict LACERATE. It's a basic attack, after all.

Also, if Arx IS strong enough to get 'Free FLING with every basic attack', then yeah, her basic attacks will inflict 'FLING and LACERATE' both, should she choose.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Nik replied more quickly, I gave options.

I guess you could also chain the free FLING from your strength into a Chain Combo from a technique. Start with FLING, then add the three techniques from the, say, Epic Technique.

Nik, does failing to win a test on a Chain Combo obviate the rest of the combo?
    Why are we here?

Multi-Slot Techniques have to be permanently declared as such, I assume. You can't choose to use these technique slots with and without each other.
    Chief Curmudgeon

Absolutely horrifying thought: can, for example, Arx use a trait to increase her free basic LACERATE to free basic RUPTURE?

Yeesh.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Multi-Slot Techniques have to be permanently declared as such, I assume. You can't choose to use these technique slots with and without each other.
    Best of my knowledge, yes. It becomes one technique.

I have an example of one on Krys's sheet: "Perfection Does Not Exist"
    Why are we here?

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Nik, does failing to win a test on a Chain Combo obviate the rest of the combo?
    Broadly yes, but it slightly depends on the link you're trying to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Broadly yes, but it slightly depends on the link you're trying to make.
    Thanks! Was definitely curious, and figured that's what it would be, but it's always good to check.
    Why are we here?

Hmm... this will affect my thinking.
    Chief Curmudgeon

Since we're on the topic, would applying Lacerate to all techniques (like how Arx has them on normal attacks) automatically if you made it a trait be allowed as is?
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    Since we're on the topic, would applying Lacerate to all techniques (like how Arx has them on normal attacks) automatically if you made it a trait be allowed as is?
    I'm not sure THAT would be allowed. But maybe? I mean, I've applied DIZZY to all counters, and...counters can be Techniques as well.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    - Persistent Techniques cannot receive additional Status Effects. They can only gain the benefit of the halved numerical boost and any Status Effects must be provided by the primary Technique Slot. This includes Epic Persistent Techniques, the exception above does not apply in this case.
    They don't get one-time (i.e. non-persistent) status effects? So you couldn't (for example) have a persistent effect primary slot with a secondary slot that does a one-and-done CONCUSS effect?
    Chief Curmudgeon