Page 95 of 207 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105145195 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 3091
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Postmania View Post
    So, buffs.

If you use a technique to do something like add STR to yourself that basically lasts until the next turn right, but ends before your next action. But I see that with Debuffs at least some of these things last multiple turns. So do CHR based buffs also last multiple turns if its Honed and up?
    As noted in the Mind Techniques Guide duration of effects, either up or down, are dictated by RES check, Mastered ENR burning and Technique level. As buffs are considered consensual, the RES check component is not applicable.

The relevant passage:

Mundane: 1 Turn Full Effect / 1 Turn Reduced
    Honed: 4 Turns Full Effect / 2 Turn Reduced
    Epic: 6 Turns Full Effect / 3 Turns Reduced

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    As noted in the Mind Techniques Guide duration of effects, either up or down, are dictated by RES check, Mastered ENR burning and Technique level. As buffs are considered consensual, the RES check component is not applicable.

The relevant passage:
    I see. So any honed CHR buff would be 4 turns
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

I see. So any honed CHR buff would be 4 turns
    Correct.

Mind is actually really good.

Been working on Siriel's character but also found time to make a couple of small adjustments made to a few core systems.

> Changed how passive ENR regeneration works.

Mastered ENR does recover on its own per round. If a player takes zero action outside of movement on their turn, they will gain +30 Mastered ENR at the start of their next turn. If they only use Basic ATK Actions, they will gain +10 Mastered ENR. If they use Technique Actions or have a Persistent Technique running, they will gain 0 Mastered ENR.
    Made it so using a Technique or running a Persistent Technique stops any ENR recovery. Also lowered the recovery for ENR when using basic attacks. Taking no action stays the same.

> Altered combat rubrics so that Imperfect Dodges/Counters will cost Mastered ENR rather than Latent ENR

i. Dodge: Should the target choose to dodge, they spend 1 RAC point.

[Target's AGI] - [ATK SPD (Derived from ATK Value + SPD/2)] = A positive or negative number.

> If the number is positive, then they can dodge the attack with no damage.
    > If the number is negative, then they can spend that amount of Mastered ENR to dodge.
    > If they have insufficient Mastered ENR, they cover the costs with Latent ENR/HP instead
    > Negative Number or "Imperfect" Counters: In addition to taking the negative damage to their Mastered ENR, the defender will attack with their chosen damage type, hitting for 75% of their normal attack power. They will also have to subtract the negative number from their attack. As with Dodge, if the defender lacks sufficient Mastered ENR to cover the negative, they will spend Latent ENR/HP instead.
    This makes Dodging and Countering, even badly, stronger as a defensive option as it prevents the attacker from effecting the target's HP. This also reinforces the value of RAC points and passing Hit Checks. Previously, there was no real distinction between Soak and other defensive options other than allowing players to decide how much damage they take rather than being able to meaningfully avoid it.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Correct.

Mind is actually really good.
    I'm looking at this and seeing it makes MORE sense for me to use a Mind Technique for my speed buff than it does for me to use a mundane technique.

Likely going to do that.

Interesting changes to the system, Nik. The Energy Recovery thing makes perfect sense to me. I mean, it hurts a little, but no worries, I've got that covered as well.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Something similar to this - back in the day when I was on the Anima Forum, there was discussion about the Flight Ki ability and Ki recovery. Someone pointed out that someone with the best Gift for Ki recovery could recover Ki as fast as they lost it, flying. Or something along those lines. And thus could fly forever without draining their Ki reserves.

The game writer eventually had to come on and say 'No, you cannot recover Ki while you are using it' (similar to here, with Nik's change of ENR recovery) as a 'clarification' that was nowhere to be found in the written rules. ^_^
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Have fiddled about a little with some of my Techs, in such a way that liberates a total of 4 mundane techniques. Which means I could make another Epic.

Will need to wait and see as to how my techniques play out in-game and decide which ones need bolstering.

Also still have that Epic Mind technique, which could boost a stat for a whopping 6 turns. By a fair chunk, as well. Hm.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Have fiddled about a little with some of my Techs, in such a way that liberates a total of 4 mundane techniques. Which means I could make another Epic.

Will need to wait and see as to how my techniques play out in-game and decide which ones need bolstering.

Also still have that Epic Mind technique, which could boost a stat for a whopping 6 turns. By a fair chunk, as well. Hm.
    This prompted me to look at your Techniques and I wanted to check what's going on with the stat allocations on "There Are Many Roads To A Destination"?

Honed Spirit Technique + Mundane Body Technique +20 PRE (Primary), +30 SPD, DIZZY
    ENE 25

It should be +40 PRE (Honed Spirit), +10 SPD (Mundane Body), surely? You've not taken a Body ability so the stat boost isn't quartered, but it shouldn't be higher than +20. Or is that you've reallocated 20 points from the PRE to go toward SPD?

If so, that isn't actually possible in the rules. You can subdivide stat boost allocations from slots between stats held in the same Affinity type but you can't cross those Affinity boundaries.

This prompted me to look at your Techniques and I wanted to check what's going on with the stat allocations on "There Are Many Roads To A Destination"?

Honed Spirit Technique + Mundane Body Technique +20 PRE (Primary), +30 SPD, DIZZY
    ENE 25

It should be +40 PRE (Honed Spirit), +10 SPD (Mundane Body), surely? You've not taken a Body ability so the stat boost isn't quartered, but it shouldn't be higher than +20. Or is that you've reallocated 20 points from the PRE to go toward SPD?

If so, that isn't actually possible in the rules. You can subdivide stat boost allocations from slots between stats held in the same Affinity type but you can't cross those Affinity boundaries.
    Aha. You cannot cross affinity boundaries. Ooookay.

Will go futz around with that one, then. Thank you!
    Why are we here?

Fixed. Ate up another mundane technique, but fixed.
    Why are we here?

Wait wait wait.

Question. Someone wants to dodge Krys. The formula is as follows:

[Target's AGI] - [ATK SPD (Derived from ATK Value + SPD/2)] = A positive or negative number.

ATK VALUE? So Krys's attack speed - if she's using a PRE attack - is equal to their SKI + SPD/2?

Just checking for a friend.
    Why are we here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Wait wait wait.

Question. Someone wants to dodge Krys. The formula is as follows:

ATK VALUE? So Krys's attack speed - if she's using a PRE attack - is equal to their SKI + SPD/2?

Just checking for a friend.
    Ah, a typo in my work which I have now amended. Should be [Target AGI] - ([SPD] + [ATK VALUE/2]). Wrong way round from how it was written in the Patch Notes.

SKI doesn't play into Dodge mechanics. For Krys attacking normally with no Stack applied the rubric would be:

[Target AGI] - (Krys SPD [10] + Krys PRE [30/2=15])

So, with an AGI of over 25 would allow for a Perfect Dodge against her attack. Under 25 and they pay the difference with Mastered ENR.

However, as the target can only attempt to execute a Dodge if they make their HIT check, Krys' high SKI score comes into play there.

Which would be:

[Target BRA+SPD+SKI] - [Krys SKI (100)]

If those three stats combined are less 100 then they don't get to react and it becomes Soak and Krys' PRE versus their DUR.

Ah, a typo in my work which I have now amended. Should be [Target AGI] - ([SPD] + [ATK VALUE/2]). Wrong way round from how it was written in the Patch Notes.

SKI doesn't play into Dodge mechanics. For Krys attacking normally the rubric would be:

[Target AGI] - (Krys SPD [10] + Krys PRE [30/2=15])

So, with an AGI of over 25 would allow for a Perfect Dodge against her attack. Under 25 and they pay the difference with Mastered ENR.

However, as the target can only attempt to execute a Dodge if they make their HIT check, Krys' high SKI score comes into play there.

Which would be:

[Target BRA+SPD+SKI] - [Krys SKI (100)]

If those three stats combined are less 100 then they don't get to react and it becomes Soak and Krys' PRE versus their DUR.
    Okay, that works.

All right, then. Giving that technique a +20 SKI/PRE/SPD does actually make sense then. SKI adds to the Hit Check mess-up, PRE adds +10 to attack speed and +20 to damage, SPD adds to 'mess up dodges'.

Ends up being (with stacks):

130 SKI Hit Check, 70 check for dodge (SPD 40, PRE 60/2), 60 Damage + Dizzy.

Given there are FOUR different stats involved in 'Did I Hit Them?', it actually improves my odds - if they have SKI/BRA/SPD high enough to beat my SKI, they might not also have AGL high enough to beat the ATK for a perfect dodge.

Fun.

Edit: Might just keep jacking up SKI, instead.
    Why are we here?

Wait that’s how it works?

So SPD plays into dodging basically any attack with the attack damage value coming in second for whichever damage type you use, whereas before I thought it came into play mainly for STR characters.

But SKI can help you beat reaction scores so they can’t dodge, for any character? Or only PRE? Or only melee?
    “The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
    -Stephen McCranie

Wait that’s how it works?

So SPD plays into dodging basically any attack with the attack damage value coming in second for whichever damage type you use, whereas before I thought it came into play mainly for STR characters.

But SKI can help you beat reaction scores so they can’t dodge, for any character? Or only PRE? Or only melee?
    For PRE attacks.

But both are important.

The hit check is tricky for PRE attacks, because it's the SKILL versus the sum of THREE stats: SPD, SKI, and BRA. If all three of those together add up to more than your skill (and let's face it, it's three stats, chances are not bad that they will add together and be > your SKI), they can try to react to your attack (by spending a RAC point). With, say, a Dodge.

THEN we check your SPD + PRE/2 against their AGL. <-- this is where speed is important for you - since your PRE is probably pretty decent already (for damage), add a bunch of SPD to that and your attack becomes EXTREMELY difficult for them to dodge. And it doesn't matter any more if they've passed the first check and can react to your shot. Granted, they don't take health damage any more, but they DO take ENR damage, and once that is depleted, they're taking health damage.

Or if they've run out of RAC points, it doesn't matter how good their AGL is, they're getting hit.

Point is, to beat BOTH of those checks they need to be decent in a whack of different stats. Now, losing the second test means they're not taking health damage until their energy is depleted, but they should still have the potential to suffer status effects, etc.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 01-09-2023 at 08:25 AM.
    Why are we here?