Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post
    Who's that with Cassandra?
    it's a threshold that we see in the memories of the lupak, we also see another treshold in the last page of the preview when the marauders wear suits.

I don't know. I cannot really get excited for this book. Never cared for 2099 X-Men and I think this entire "mutant population from the past" angle is absolutely boring and unnecessary. Now X-Men villain will get retconned and be part of this mess also? ugh...Maybe Selene will be revealed to be one of those mutants?

If they wanted to tell a time travel story of a past mutant civilization from earth, why aren't they showing us the Arakki mutants led by Apocalypse and Genesis in the past? Shouldn't we start to care about this mutant civilization a lot more at this point? I think it is a wasted opportunity to show us more about the Arakki mutants and their rich past instead of introducing something new nobody will really care about in the x-line and who will be forgotten in 15 minutes...

I get the writer's argument and fascination for potential past civilizations but I really don't care about it...
    Last edited by Exodus; 10-04-2022 at 12:21 AM.

Astonishing Member

Oh god, their not actually going to play Threshold at face value are they?

That mutant superiority is so inherent they could spontaneously exist a billion years before multi-cellular life developed

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Really enjoyed the interview and love what Orlando had to say about pretty much everything and everyone... I just wish I could enjoy Marauders more, I feel like there's a lot of great ideas but the execution is too chaotic and not very compelling to me. I compare that to Ewing's X-Men Red which also has a ton of characters and different plotlines yet manages to keep everything engaging and relatively straightforward, whereas Marauders is all over the place.

The Threshold sounds like it could be an interesting concept but at this stage I probably wish the book was more character-driven rather than "big idea" driven.

With Orlando's talk about the future and what the X-Men line might be though, he made it sound like there's a new relaunch/retooling coming up, at least that's how I read it.

I feel like Orlando always does really engaging interviews, but like others have mentioned the concepts in this book are just not for me. IMO the only pro of introducing the Threshold is that the next time an event needs some fodder it can use them instead of the New X-Men or the Arrakki.

I’ll probably give at least the first issue of the SW series a try.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

In other news... is Bishop going back to his original uniform? I didn't mind the red but I think the original Whilce design still works very well. And is that a new costume for Psylocke? I'm not sure that bright blue is her colour, but at least she got out of that bathing suit.

Glad to see Jodi back and in a new costume! She’s right where she belongs.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I don't know. I cannot really get excited for this book. Never cared for 2099 X-Men and I think this entire "mutant population from the past" angle is absolutely boring and unnecessary. Now X-Men villain will get retconned and be part of this mess also? ugh...Maybe Selene will be revealed to be one of those mutants?

If they wanted to tell a time travel story of a past mutant civilization from earth, why aren't they showing us the Arakki mutants led by Apocalypse and Genesis in the past? Shouldn't we start to care about this mutant civilization a lot more at this point? I think it is a wasted opportunity to show us more about the Arakki mutants and their rich past instead of introducing something new nobody will really care about in the x-line and who will be forgotten in 15 minutes...

I get the writer's argument and fascination for potential past civilizations but I really don't care about it...
    Same. I'm ready for a deeper dive into the Arakki, and how their time in Amenth changed their culture, and how they're changing yet again, now that they are on Mars. Plus it seems like there are at least some mutants remaining in Amenth, not just Apocalypse, Genesis and the Horsemen, but also White Sword and his hundred followers, and I'm interested in seeing more of White Sword, in particular.

Introducing yet another population of mutants, to co-exist alongside the Arakki, Neo, Children of the Vault, Morlocks, etc. just seems kind of extra.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 10-04-2022 at 05:27 AM.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    None of this sounds interesting to me. I never cared for the 2099 line or characters and I don't want them in the 616 when there are hundreds of characters already here that aren't being used. The entire concept of Threshold irritates me and I hate time travel stories. It seems like Orlando is trying to make the book diverse, which I appreciate, but the plots he is interested in are my least favorite comic book tropes so now I just have pre-established dislike for these new characters because of the way they are being introduced. I hate that Cassandra is still here. And I still really don't like Carlini's art. Those costume designs in the preview pages are ugly, which again is unfortunate because Kwannon desperately needs a new costume. The reasoning behind the Fang name change doesn't really make sense to me, it's supposed to be something that is just his, but it was literally given to him by an alien with the same name and costume, which Logan has also worn. This whole book feels like the ultimate monkey's paw.
    I think a lot of this is really on point. They have so many great characters that don't even get to be wallpaper, but they keep introducing new characters...to then throw them into the pile of 'not using so we can put another Summers, Grey or Wolverine clone in a book'.

I stopped caring about new characters because they get in one run and then they disappear forever.
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Quote Originally Posted by PotniaTheron View Post
    I don't understand what Orlando's Scarlet Witch has to do with the X-Men? Why spend a lot of time talking about this in XMM? X-fans have been urged to forgive her. Wow. I don't want to see her at all. She's not an X character at all, and some of her fanatical fans are getting on my nerves.
    HOM:She became the judge of mutants.
    AVX:She became the savior.
    TOM:She becomes the redeemer.

She's not an X character at all, not even one mutant. Why make her such a powerful influence on mutants so often?

And don't tell me what she's done for mutants in TOM. For me, the really touching thing she did was in Empyre. Although she failed that time, she showed enough sincerity. Nor does she show any ambition to 'become the mutant queen again.'In TOM, I think the point of the story is not so much that she's atoning for mutants, but that she's using them again to show how powerful she is.
    Wanda was first introduced in X-Men, but Wolverine was also first introduced in Hulk.

And is Wanda's "family connection" to Magneto really important in all of her stories over the course of her decades? At least I've seen a lot of Wanda fans who think Magneto means nothing to Wanda, or even has a negative effect. They were more willing to give Wanda access to Avenger - Line or Magic-Line than X-Line. If they think that, then X-Line readers shouldn't think Wanda is one of them. Because there are so many popular characters in the X-Men, their fans fight every day to get their favorite characters to appear. There are simply no spare resources left over for non-X-line characters.

Her connection to X-Line is simply that: 1. She hurts mutants and 2. She uses them to show how powerful she is. (HOM, AVX and TOM are all the same) The only meaning of the Waiting Room is to give Wanda a chance to perform. But it's for Wanda's own good, not the mutants. Shaw has long floated the idea of using time travel to bring back more mutants, but to make way for Wanda, a non-X-Men character, the Council has been made to look like non-thinking idiots.
    Empyre has made me think differently about her, and that Marvel has finally changed its strategy of using this character to provoke hatred from its fan base. But TOM totally let me down. Now I just want her as far away from the X-line as possible

She sure seems to rustle your jimmies. That's certain.

D to Z-list mutants won't suddenly be in the spotlight no matter if she is around or not. She literally made it possible that anyone could appear thanks to resurrection and an entire island is dedicated to mutants. It's still not the focus of the X-Line and will probably never be. Evil Wanda isn't taking the spot of your favorite *insert character of choice*
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    https://aiptcomics.com/2022/10/03/x-...ndo-interview/

A really good XMM interview. With lots of very interesting things said. Especially pertaining to Cerebra, the 2099 books and when and how and why they were written at the time. And what we can expect from this team. But...as always, it will come down to the execution.

I now want an arc where the Treshold mutants, the 2099 mutants and the 2022 mutants all meet each other and are just hanging out.

Definitely getting the Scarlet Witch.

I must say Carlini's preview art pages (for issue 08) look way better than anything she's done before. It's still very digital-looking and Kate's hair is bordering even more on anime-ridiculous but...very clean, crisp and clear.

*I will leave it to someone else with the skill to add the preview art here. If they feel so inclined.
    Thanks for posting, Sibling! And I agree about the art, it's looking much better.

"I hope you give us a try. I mean, if anything, Sara Pichelli is doing amazing interior work. Russell Dauterman is doing incredible cover work. You might see some of Wanda’s Krakoan family in the book. And by might, I mean you will. So there’s a reason."

Woohoo Lorna!
    Last edited by JB; 10-04-2022 at 07:56 AM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Ah...mixed bathing...and Kitty's hair getting more and more ridiculous by the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post

If the whole Threshold thing is one of Hickman's elements, I'm guessing it's an editorially mandated storyline and Orlando is just doing his best to sell it.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

And now I'm wondering if the mutant rescue premise had nothing to do with Earth mutants as I initially thought and everything to do with the Thresholders... considering the amount of time Orlando is devoting to their story. By the way....he still hasn't given me a reason to actually care about them or why Kate is so adamant.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member

Wait….wait. They’re playing the idea that human like mutants predate fish or even life capable of going on land straight?

If anything this implies humanity evolved from mutants, not the other way around. I don’t care if it’s Hickman’s idea, if they aren’t time travelers this screws over the entire initial premise.