Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Okay, so I read Orlando’s explanation and first off, while some kind of advanced technological race could have existed two billion year ago we guess, if they had spacefaring technology there’s a good chance they would have left evidence, but more importantly, does not track with what evidence of the past we do have. For one thing that mutants from that time should not look as human like as the issue four hints said, second I hope they get brought back with their biology changed otherwise they are going to die to Oxygen which was toxic to life on earth back then and lead to the first mass extinction when oxygen levels rose.

We do have an idea of what existed at the time. Single cells organisms. I don’t know what this Atlantic article they read is talking about but I think it has some really weird and off ideas about how much science does know about the time period.

Never mind just trying to square this with the central premise….one ancient civilization of humanity’s next stage of evolution was already pushing it, now they want one predating multicellular life on earth. Does this actually add anything to the mutant storyline? Are we going to venture into some story where humanity is some evolution of mutantkind’a ancient ancestors who stole the earth from its rightful owners?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

To be clear....I hate the Threshold premise. From the perspectives that
    1: It really adds nothing to the x-mythos other than making it unnecessarily convoluted.
    2: It changes absolutely nothing about the present time and what mutants are facing now.
    3: it's introducing a whole slew of new characters that quite frankly, I don't think Orlando is capable of making me feel invested.
    4: Aaron already did that "look who existed billions of years in the past" crap...and I hate it with every fibre of my being.

Like Spurrier's LoX...the concept sounds interesting but too over my head for me to care.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    1: It really adds nothing to the x-mythos other than making it unnecessarily convoluted.
    2: It changes absolutely nothing about the present time and what mutants are facing now.
    3: it's introducing a whole slew of new characters that quite frankly, I don't think Orlando is capable of making me feel invested.
    4: Aaron already did that "look who existed billions of years in the past" crap...and I hate it with every fibre of my being.

Like Spurrier's LoX...the concept sounds interesting but too over my head for me to care.
    I have to agree with the latter, I'm all for writers introducing new concepts but not everyone is Jonathan Hickman or Al Ewing and capable of making them truly interesting. The Threshold is TBD I guess but stuff like "the Spark" and "Mutant Magic" sounds cool but when the execution is lacking it just comes off as terribly pretentious.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post

Aaron’s thing is pretty bad as well but he only did it a million years in the past. Not great, but humans are least existed then and he didn’t try to tie the entire avengers line origins around it. This somehow has managed to top Jason Aaron for ideas that just do not work.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I have to agree with the latter, I'm all for writers introducing new concepts but not everyone is Jonathan Hickman or Al Ewing and capable of making them truly interesting. The Threshold is TBD I guess but stuff like "the Spark" and "Mutant Magic" sounds cool but when the execution is lacking it just comes off as terribly pretentious.
    Not on these boards but I had a lot of arguments with people over mutant magic when Excalibur was in its early days. The idea that going from a circle to an X somehow makes magic better because…I forget the exact reason why but in the end the only character it’s really relevant to these days is Rictor anyway.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Exactatiously
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

To be honest the only way I think I would be interested in the origin of the Threshold is if BobbysWorld's well thought-out theory is close to or on the money. Where they are a civilization (possibly Krakoa) that traveled to the so very distant past in hopes of escaping a humanity that was on the verge of killing them. How far back? To before humans were on the earth.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    To be honest the only way I think I would be interested in the origin of the Threshold is if BobbysWorld's well thought-out theory is close to or on the money. Where they are a civilization (possibly Krakoa) that traveled to the so very distant past in hopes of escaping a humanity that was on the verge of killing them. How far back? To before humans were on the earth.
    I think it would be more reasonable if the Marauders weren’t talking as if these people were their actual ancestors when even a high school level of biology or history to realize how bupkiss that all is.

Or hell, just one of them having caught Walking with Monsters when that program aired. Did Charles put up internet blockers to keep Krako from accessing Flatscan propaganda and now no one can get onto Wikipedia.

I wanna check our Marauders but I can't get past that terrible Manga art. Yuck.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    I think it would be more reasonable if the Marauders weren’t talking as if these people were their actual ancestors when even a high school level of biology or history to realize how bupkiss that all is.

Or hell, just one of them having caught Walking with Monsters when that program aired. Did Charles put up internet blockers to keep Krako from accessing Flatscan propaganda and now no one can get onto Wikipedia.
    Judging by the attitude of the Krakoans and the habit of the writers putting any and all criticism into the mouths of straw men; it’ll be that it’s all a baseline plot to justify ‘stealing’ the earth out from its rightful mutant inhabitants

FOr heavens sake the X-books unironically hold that the invention of agriculture was a baseline plot

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Yeah, that is an interesting theory, and since I kind of expect that Krakoa is going away eventually, at least Threshold being time travellers from the Age of Krakoa would be an alternative to all the Arakki and Krakoans being killed off to establish the badass-cred of some villain we've never heard of before (like Uranos or this new Celestial) or rebooted out of existence.

The way Orlando talked and made some comments seems like Marauders not be lasting long or getting ready for another reboot. Which is crazy because fans are literally saying what they would like to read but they arent giving it to us.

I also agree that some of these concepts are not landing. The Spark, Threshold, and mutant magic are just going over my head or just not interesting at all when does by certain writers.
    Last edited by CGAR; 10-04-2022 at 01:52 PM.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Billyonthesheets View Post
    Looks like Negasonic Teenage Warhead
    Thank you.
    My flag is bacon.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    Judging by the attitude of the Krakoans and the habit of the writers putting any and all criticism into the mouths of straw men; it’ll be that it’s all a baseline plot to justify ‘stealing’ the earth out from its rightful mutant inhabitants

FOr heavens sake the X-books unironically hold that the invention of agriculture was a baseline plot
    Wasn’t that just Selene whining about how it made it harder for her to devour people’s souls for a living after theIce Age?

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    The way Orlando talked and made some comments seems like Marauders not be lasting long or getting ready for another reboot. Which is crazy because fans are literally saying what they would like to read but they arent giving it to us.

I also agree that some of these concepts are not landing. The Spark, Threshold, and mutant magic are just going over my head or just not interesting at all when does by certain writers.
    It's going to at least issue 10, so it'll probably get the standard 12 issue/2-arc run.

All of these high concepts are mostly just interesting on paper. When they're executed, it's a lot of character in service of story instead of the other way around.