Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Default X-Men Monday #174 - Steve Orlando Talks...and says quite a lot.

https://aiptcomics.com/2022/10/03/x-...ndo-interview/

A really good XMM interview. With lots of very interesting things said. Especially pertaining to Cerebra, the 2099 books and when and how and why they were written at the time. And what we can expect from this team. But...as always, it will come down to the execution.

I now want an arc where the Treshold mutants, the 2099 mutants and the 2022 mutants all meet each other and are just hanging out.

Definitely getting the Scarlet Witch.

I must say Carlini's preview art pages (for issue 08) look way better than anything she's done before. It's still very digital-looking and Kate's hair is bordering even more on anime-ridiculous but...very clean, crisp and clear.

*I will leave it to someone else with the skill to add the preview art here. If they feel so inclined.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 10-03-2022 at 06:21 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

Who's that with Cassandra?
    My flag is bacon.

Spectacular Member

I don't understand what Orlando's Scarlet Witch has to do with the X-Men? Why spend a lot of time talking about this in XMM? X-fans have been urged to forgive her. Wow. I don't want to see her at all. She's not an X character at all, and some of her fanatical fans are getting on my nerves.

Spectacular Member

HOM:She became the judge of mutants.
    AVX:She became the savior.
    TOM:She becomes the redeemer.

She's not an X character at all, not even one mutant. Why make her such a powerful influence on mutants so often?

And don't tell me what she's done for mutants in TOM. For me, the really touching thing she did was in Empyre. Although she failed that time, she showed enough sincerity. Nor does she show any ambition to 'become the mutant queen again.'In TOM, I think the point of the story is not so much that she's atoning for mutants, but that she's using them again to show how powerful she is.

Mighty Member

I like Psylocke’s costume in that preview panel.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I'm not quite sure how I feel about it...yet. The X on top reminds me of her/Betsy's Anka's X-Women design which I loved but the blue thigh pieces are throwing me off.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post
    Looks like Negasonic Teenage Warhead

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

None of this sounds interesting to me. I never cared for the 2099 line or characters and I don't want them in the 616 when there are hundreds of characters already here that aren't being used. The entire concept of Threshold irritates me and I hate time travel stories. It seems like Orlando is trying to make the book diverse, which I appreciate, but the plots he is interested in are my least favorite comic book tropes so now I just have pre-established dislike for these new characters because of the way they are being introduced. I hate that Cassandra is still here. And I still really don't like Carlini's art. Those costume designs in the preview pages are ugly, which again is unfortunate because Kwannon desperately needs a new costume. The reasoning behind the Fang name change doesn't really make sense to me, it's supposed to be something that is just his, but it was literally given to him by an alien with the same name and costume, which Logan has also worn. This whole book feels like the ultimate monkey's paw.

Quote Originally Posted by PotniaTheron View Post
    HOM:She became the judge of mutants.
    AVX:She became the savior.
    TOM:She becomes the redeemer.

She's not an X character at all, not even one mutant. Why make her such a powerful influence on mutants so often?

And don't tell me what she's done for mutants in TOM. For me, the really touching thing she did was in Empyre. Although she failed that time, she showed enough sincerity. Nor does she show any ambition to 'become the mutant queen again.'In TOM, I think the point of the story is not so much that she's atoning for mutants, but that she's using them again to show how powerful she is.
    Trial of Magneto is best treated as if it never happened.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PotniaTheron View Post
    She's not an X character at all, not even one mutant.
    Although her status as a mutant was retconned away, she still has deep connections to the X-line. She was introduced as an X-character as a founding member of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. For decades she was believed to be a mutant and was one of the most prominent mutants outside of an X-team as a mainstay Avenger. Although she is no longer a relative of Magneto and Polaris by blood, they still have a family bond between them for the years they believed they were family, pre-retcon.

There is history there that didn't just disappear because her x-gene was retconned away. She certainly isn't a core part of the X-line or anything like that, but she does have history and connections that make her an "x-relevant' character.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post
    Warbird. She was part of Aaron's Wolverine and the X-men cast. A warlike Shi'ar bodyguard. She was much more interesting in Liu's Astonishing, where we discover she is a deviant in her society. I was waiting for her to reappear now that the Shi'ar look so important in the X-books.

The symbiote is a good way to get away from that awful Bachalo design.

Edit : oh I just realized you were talking about the short-haired girl. Probably Negasonic yes.
    Last edited by Nicoclaws; 10-03-2022 at 11:20 PM.

Good to know that the Threshold is actually a Hickman idea. IT ties up nicely with the Krakoa/Arakko separation and Hickman's theme : "Mutants always lose."

I still wished we had at least one arc of them saving mutants on Earth before going in space and time.

I have to say I'm retracting a bit of my comments about the art now that I have read the actual issues thanks to Unlimited. It looks way better on page than in previews.

Are they bringing DRYAD in X-men Green ?
    Last edited by Nicoclaws; 10-03-2022 at 11:19 PM.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dermie View Post
    Although her status as a mutant was retconned away, she still has deep connections to the X-line. She was introduced as an X-character as a founding member of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. For decades she was believed to be a mutant and was one of the most prominent mutants outside of an X-team as a mainstay Avenger. Although she is no longer a relative of Magneto and Polaris by blood, they still have a family bond between them for the years they believed they were family, pre-retcon.

There is history there that didn't just disappear because her x-gene was retconned away. She certainly isn't a core part of the X-line or anything like that, but she does have history and connections that make her an "x-relevant' character.
    Wanda was first introduced in X-Men, but Wolverine was also first introduced in Hulk.

And is Wanda's "family connection" to Magneto really important in all of her stories over the course of her decades? At least I've seen a lot of Wanda fans who think Magneto means nothing to Wanda, or even has a negative effect. They were more willing to give Wanda access to Avenger - Line or Magic-Line than X-Line. If they think that, then X-Line readers shouldn't think Wanda is one of them. Because there are so many popular characters in the X-Men, their fans fight every day to get their favorite characters to appear. There are simply no spare resources left over for non-X-line characters.

Her connection to X-Line is simply that: 1. She hurts mutants and 2. She uses them to show how powerful she is. (HOM, AVX and TOM are all the same) The only meaning of the Waiting Room is to give Wanda a chance to perform. But it's for Wanda's own good, not the mutants. Shaw has long floated the idea of using time travel to bring back more mutants, but to make way for Wanda, a non-X-Men character, the Council has been made to look like non-thinking idiots.
    Last edited by PotniaTheron; 10-04-2022 at 12:00 AM.

Lots of talk about theme and plot, relatively little about character. So I guess this book is going to stay dropped. And X-Men Green sounds like a train wreck of the extremely un-fun variety. "Yeah, Nature Girl's a hypocrite, liar, and kind of an idiot. It's tragic." Um. No. I appreciate the attempt, but no.

It's just kind of depressing. Every time I get excited about a writer whose work I've previously liked coming onto the X-Books, the books themselves turn out to be a disappointment.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Trial of Magneto is best treated as if it never happened.
    Empyre has made me think differently about her, and that Marvel has finally changed its strategy of using this character to provoke hatred from its fan base. But TOM totally let me down. Now I just want her as far away from the X-line as possible