Default Quasar vs Mandarin

Quasar (Wendell Vaughn) vs Mandarin. 616 versions of both. Khazan Arena, etc.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

I believe Quazar operates well-into the Class 100 range with various stuff from his Quantum Bands (including auto-shields), while Mandarin...does not.

I could be wrong, but if I'm not, Quazar takes it simply because he can tank everything Mandarin throws while the opposite cannot be said.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quasar has superior energy output, but Mandarin might have faster reflexes, allowing him a slight edge in the quickdraw department. Do either of them have auto-shields? Mandarin seems 50/50 in past appearances as to whether or not he even has a force field. Anyway, if Mandarin does shoot first, he has some attacks that might not be readily stopped by Quasar's defenses: blinding light, mental paralysis, and darkforce.

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Quasar has superior energy output, but Mandarin might have faster reflexes, allowing him a slight edge in the quickdraw department. Do either of them have auto-shields? Mandarin seems 50/50 in past appearances as to whether or not he even has a force field. Anyway, if Mandarin does shoot first, he has some attacks that might not be readily stopped by Quasar's defenses: blinding light, mental paralysis, and darkforce.
    Quasar does explicitly have an always on personal defense aura, or should. His main problems of those would be darkforce, the perma psychic shields he created against mind crap should hold off the mental paralysis stuff, and being blind doesn't really matter to a guy who can AoE the arena.

So the big question would be, what does the Darkforce do when Mandarin uses it? Because there’s a whole lot of times when the Darkforce doesn’t do anything that a force field won’t stop.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    So the big question would be, what does the Darkforce do when Mandarin uses it? Because there’s a whole lot of times when the Darkforce doesn’t do anything that a force field won’t stop.
    Mostly it just blocks vision long enough for Mandarin to get in a sucker-punch with the superhuman martial arts abilities. Lots of stuff boils down to that with him: create illusions, sucker-punch(or sucker-karate-chop) while the other guy doesn't know who to dodge. Trap someone in a tornado, and as soon as they break out, sucker-punch them while they are dizzy. Create a giant hand out of the earth with the matter-rearranger ring, and sucker-punch the guy with his superhuman martial arts abilities while they are trapped. Trap someone's feet in ice, and sucker-punch them while they are trapped. Basically he has seven or eight ways of setting up a sucker-punch, and a couple of direct attacks.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Mostly it just blocks vision long enough for Mandarin to get in a sucker-punch with the superhuman martial arts abilities. Lots of stuff boils down to that with him: create illusions, sucker-punch(or sucker-karate-chop) while the other guy doesn't know who to dodge. Trap someone in a tornado, and as soon as they break out, sucker-punch them while they are dizzy. Create a giant hand out of the earth with the matter-rearranger ring, and sucker-punch the guy with his superhuman martial arts abilities while they are trapped. Trap someone's feet in ice, and sucker-punch them while they are trapped. Basically he has seven or eight ways of setting up a sucker-punch, and a couple of direct attacks.
    I don't think any of Mandarin's sucker-punches, or direct attacks for that matter, have the oomph required to break through Quasar's shields.

Odds are that Wendell just traps Mandarin in a golden bubble or something, and keeps him there without Mandy being able to do anything to get out.

I'm with Dark Soul on this.

Mandarin is a guy who needs to work to get through Iron Man's defenses. He gets through them, sure, but he doesn't completely wreck Stark's better suits in one go. I don't really see him blinding Quasar then KOing him through a defensive field that manages against legit class 100's.

Also don't see him getting to Wendell before Quasar, as noted, does something to either take out everything in the arena or (at the least) banish the Darkforce and proceed with the capturing.
    Why are we here?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    Quasar's mental autodefenses are superlatively good. Mandarin's TP feats are as far I remember kind of crap. Don't expect the mento intensifier to do much, unless we are talking about the later Mandarin revisions that I am far less familiar with.

It mostly just creates psionic illusions. Even if they work, I'm not sure it would matter. The Mandarin creates a bunch of psionic illusions of himself, cheapshots Quasar with chi-amped karate-chops(we're probably talking about a Wonderman level attack, give or take) while Quasar doesn't know who to dodge, and then? From what I hear about Quasar's shield-level, not much.