Default Magneto vs Quasar

Magneto vs Quasar (Wendell Vaughn). 616 versions, Khazan arena.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quasar has auto shields and Magneto doesn't, which should skew a quick draw in his Wendell's favor. If Magneto gets the shields up, it becomes a difficult battle but I lean Wendall. His shields should block Esoteric attacks (like iron in the blood stuff) and he's probably got more raw power. I think he can probably drain Magneto's shields eventually too.

If nothing else, I suspect Wendell could surround Mags in a bubble and space-dump him somewhere a very long way away through hyperspace. Mags could survive for a short while, but ultimately he’ll die thousands of millennia before he returns to Khazan.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

You are all underestimating the power of MAGNETS!

All kidding aside, the Quantum Bands are made of metal, no?. This seems like a pure quickdraw.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Auto shields on Quasar.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Auto shields on Quasar.
    Of course, but Mags has manipulated metal across fields before. If Mags is quicker, and gets his thought of "No More Q Bands" off, Quasar isn't doing anything.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Magneto has manipulated metals through opponents' force fields that protect against more stuff than just 'damage'? Because this is getting into territory like 'Magneto can reach through Classic Strange's autoshields with his magnetic fields, despite the fact that Strange's autoshields basically say 'nope' to all kinds of stuff. Including gravity.'
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Extraordinary Member

During the run of his own comic, one of Quasar's main tricks was to absorb energy from his opponents. I'm not really seeing why he couldn't just do that against everything Magneto throws at him.

Big's argument here is that if Mags wins the quickdraw he'll just yoink the Quantum Bands through whatever autodefences Quasar and the bands have.

I'm still trying to figure out if that's possible - I've never seen Magneto manipulate stuff through fields that block esoterics (this is similar to saying he could do it to Classic Strange's Eye of Agamotto or Green Lantern Rings), but maybe he has feats for that. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of both Magneto and Quasar could weigh in.
    Why are we here?

Magneto has manipulated metals through opponents' force fields that protect against more stuff than just 'damage'? Because this is getting into territory like 'Magneto can reach through Classic Strange's autoshields with his magnetic fields, despite the fact that Strange's autoshields basically say 'nope' to all kinds of stuff. Including gravity.'
    Fair point. I think generally "high-end" Quasar is on a somewhat higher level than Mags, and has even more versatility. Even so, those autoshields need to show resistance to esoterics, and I don't recall if they do or not. Iron Man specifically uses force fields and shields, and specifically designs resistances to all kinds of attacks, yet he won't challenge Mags in armor without extensive specific prep and minimalist armor because Mags will rip him to shreds straight through all of that. The Quantum Bands are, of course, a tier above most of Tony's stuff, so it's not exactly apples-to-apples.

Classic Strange, well, he's still a tier above Wendall, and he specifically faces esoterics almost every issue for his shields to bounce, so it's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison either. Even then, it wouldn't surprise me to see Magneto capable of manipulating metal on Strange's person to some effect through autoshields. Mags is no joke.

Basically, I'm saying that I don't know. I would say that perhaps Mags can directly attack the bands, in which case, if he wins the quickdraw, he wins the fight. It's also possible that he can't, in which case Quasar has the upper hand to a massive degree. I don't recall Quasar specifically bouncing a magnetic attack on the bands themselves, but there aren't that many masters of magnetism out there to test against. Annihilus sucked Quasar and the bands dry straight through his shields, so at least some esoterics can bypass the protection the bands afford.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quasar does stuff like fly into suns. If the radiation doesn't get through to him, I see no reason magnetism would.

I myself have had it pointed out recently that Iron Man's force field is often just something that is used to buttress his armor - ie, originally it was used to 'stiffen' (yes, haha) the flexible parts of the armor that were made from metal mesh. And given the kind of different powers Magneto can do (EMP's, for example, powerful enough to shut down parts of the planet), him needing to get specialized armor ready for Mags may not be simply because Magneto can manipulate his armor through his shields.

Also, there's the fact that Magneto can just brute-force penetrate his shields with his power. Tony's shields aren't exactly Class 100 level, when he has actual force fields. In fact, they pretty much cave immediately when dealing with Class 100 force (Thor hits Tony 'for realz', Tony is downed and getting all kinds of screaming 'Overload!' messages from his armor). Against Magneto? That's literally what what his shields are now dealing with - Class 100 magnetic forces capable of repelling Thor's hammer or operating on *wiggles hand* getting into a planetary region, all trying to get through those shields. I would be astounded if Tony's shields would protect him from getting grabbed and ripped apart in those circumstances, any more than they would protect him from getting grabbed and ripped apart by Thor. Ie, Tony's shields protect him against damaging energy to a point, then they get broken through, and this would be no different (except it's less 'laser burning hole through shields and then Tony' and more 'Magneto's magical magnetic "force" pushing through the shields and whoops, Tony is now a puppet or possibly naked').

Here, Quasar's shields are most definitely Class 100 level, and not something Magneto can just immediately power through.

And Captain Morgan makes a good point, above.

Edit: I see Shellhead is on, perhaps we'll get more info about Iron Man and force fields.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 10-06-2022 at 06:50 AM.
    Why are we here?

Doctor Strange and Magneto clashed in Defenders #15-16. Unfortunately, it was a low showing for both characters. Magneto's powers were at a relatively low ebb at this point, his last appearance before he was rejuvenated in X-Men #103 by Eric the Red. And Strange was perpetually under-powered in Defenders, to keep him from overshadowing most of the team.

Well, that's pretty sad.

I mean, if we have Magneto somehow using the Eye to strangle Strange through his autoshields (explicitly, and not the writer forgetting he has them), then at least we'd have a place to start arguing. PIS? SMvsFL? Or consistent? But this doesn't sound awesome.
    Why are we here?

The whole two-parter was overshadowed by a one-shot character called Alpha the Ultimate Mutant:

https://earthsmightiestblog.com/defe...-evil-mutants/