Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I'll post my response from Jean's thread in this thread for those who don't keep up with that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I agree, and while I wanted a more concrete and definitive explanation...
    If I may ask, what explanation would be more "concrete and definitive" than "You are the Phoenix, now and forever"? It seems some fans—and this is not aimed at you specifically—wanted or expected Jean to turn into Phoenix in this issue, or for the Progenitor to explain the intricacies of Jean's identity as Phoenix or even White Phoenix, even though such an identity—such a dynamic—is far beyond a Celestial's purview and perception.
    Last edited by Mercury; 10-05-2022 at 08:43 PM.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Sounds like a good issue. Definitely buying it for the Jean and Logan interactions which sound great.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Great issue. Even better character work. Loved how Jean's response to being called out on her usual bully tactics was to, huh, threaten to beat the crap out of her accuser. Also loved how she's still blaming the Phoenix for everything even though the Phoenix's been, huh, holding her back all along or something? Not that I object with Taylor's laughable run being retconned out of existence, but Editorial needs to *inform* the readership of stuff like that. Oh well, it's complicated, I guess.

On a side note, Gillen somehow finding yet another way to shove Sinister down the readership's throat was just too funny. I mean... there's practically no good will left from Hickman's soft reboot and SINISTER is the hill the X-Office is choosing to die on? Bonkers.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I'll post my response from Jean's thread in this thread for those who don't keep up with that thread.

If I may ask, what explanation would be more "concrete and definitive" than "You are the Phoenix, now and forever"? It seems some fans—and this is not aimed at you specifically—wanted or expected Jean to turn into Phoenix in this issue, or for the Progenitor to explain the intricacies of Jean's identity as Phoenix or even White Phoenix, even though such that identity—that dynamic—is far beyond a Celestial's purview and perception.
    What I loved about this issue — easily the best Jean Grey issue beside Mark Waid’s lead-in to Onslaught so long ago — was how “now and ferever’ was originally poetic. The point the Progenitor made was “now and forever” has become more concretely an indictment.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalChicken View Post
    What I loved about this issue — easily the best Jean Grey issue beside Mark Waid’s lead-in to Onslaught so long ago — was how “now and ferever’ was originally poetic. The point the Progenitor made was “now and forever” has become more concretely an indictment.
    Not just "indictment," but more so damnation, in the Biblical sense of "there is no salvation from, no absolution for your greatest sin." That said, for all the Celestial's judgment of Jean, she did raise a point that the Celestial, whatever its justifications, would also be annihilating a world and all of its people, so . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    I loved this issue. It was so good. It was a great character piece for Jean. Gillen understands her. Some of us were nervous about this issue because of how it was billed. We were told that it was going to address the complex relationship between Jean and Phoenix and burn away that mystery. It delivered but just not in the way we expected. It wasn't that explicit but the message (thus far) is clear.

Some fans were worried that Jean would lost the guilt over Dark Phoenix, and I think some fans wanted Jean to shed the guilt. But the DPS experience is a defining experience. You don't just get over trauma. It stays with you. It will stay with Jean. It helps make her a complex character. I love that her history was respected.

Jean will always try to atone for the actions of DP and while she will never make it right. She will keep trying. Even with the retcon we know a part of Jean was with the Phoenix (afterall by the retcon it copied her mind/body and a portion of her soul - not too different from the current resurrection process via Cerebro imo) so Jean bears responsibility - and other times Jean has taken responsibility by acknowledging she called out to Phoenix and allowed them to merge. Jean has been judged for DP before - when the last D'Bari came after her and as a teen in the Trial of Jean Grey. In Duggan's current X-men run we see that she still has Phoenix related nightmares. Again the trauma remains. It isn't something she will get over.

I love that Jean strives to be a hero. That has been her arc in the Hickman Era. She was uncomfortable with the actions of X-force and she became uncomfortable with the actions of the QC. She wanted to do more. I like that she was judged for leaving the quiet counsel.

I liked how they referenced how powerful she is and that she is aware of her power. I like the line about not using to failing tests (I love it when they acknowledge that she was Xavier's star student - often times Cyke gets the focus but Xavier will always be close to Jean since they share similar gifts).

The art was great. Jean's characterization was great. I love how she was described by other characters like the Celestial, Wolverine, Ajack, etc. I liked that we get to see Jean's temper. I've always liked that aspect of her. She is a nice and warm character, but everyone has limits. The part where Jean is described as a saint and sometimes a bully does remind me of how she's often characterized by fans (but I think the bully part was a callback to her fight with Emma where Emma calls her a playground bully).

All in all, it was an awesome issue and I genuinely hope they have a plan going forward with Jean. I'm not sure where it will lead, but hopefully we will be done with the Phoenix denials. She's been the Phoenix too many times after the DPS to still be in denial to her connection. As much as I would have loved a definitive explanation I am beyond pleased with how the issue turned out.
    I miss your insight posts, Mecha. Another great one.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

BANNED

Because I'm currently sober I just thumbed thru A.X.E.: X-Men #1 and my takeaway is this issue made it firmly clear that Jean Grey is and always has been the Phoenix regardless of her not manifesting the Phoenix Effect in the here and now... Hence, from this point on when someone says, Jean Grey and Phoenix were two separate beings or that wasn't her I will now and forever tell them that is not what the Progenitor said

Last edited by Micabe; 10-05-2022 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Pic(s) added.

Please Jean go Phoenix.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

I just checked, and this issue is currently Amazon’s #1 New Release in Kindle Short Reads, #1 in 45-Minute Comic & Graphic Novel Short Reads, #3 in Superhero Graphic Novels, and #3 in Superhero Comics & Graphic Novels. #BESTSELLER

Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Because I'm currently sober I just thumbed thru A.X.E.: X-Men #1 and my takeaway is this issue made it firmly clear that Jean Grey is and always has been the Phoenix regardless of her not manifesting the Phoenix Effect in the here and now... Hence, from this point on when someone says, Jean Grey and Phoenix were two separate beings or that wasn't her I will now and forever tell them that is not what the Progenitor said

Exactly. As I said to another person who tried making the Progenitor's declarative observation more complicated than it is: Occam's razor. Marvel promised that this issue would "examine Jean Grey’s intricate relationship with the Phoenix Force, burning away the mystery behind their connection once and for all." And that's what this issue did: It burned away the mystery behind their connection by reestablishing that Jean is Phoenix, "now and forever."

However, to those who want to see her manifest Phoenix, or who doubt she ever will again, I only have this to say:

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Please Jean go Phoenix.
    See i adore jean but i still think the force host role should have never left rachel even moreso than her mom.

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalChicken View Post
    See i adore jean but i still think the force host role should have never left rachel even moreso than her mom.
    That's the thing; Jean isn't nor has she ever been simply a host or avatar. She is Phoenix. Even now, as the current Phoenix host or avatar, Echo, lies dead, Jean is Phoenix..."now and forever." They are extremes of the same spectrum, bound together as tightly as heat is to fire and by the variations in between, i.e., other hosts and avatars. Phoenix has an inversely proportional relationship to herself, as Jean has an inversely proportional relationship to herself. To paraphrase Britannica's definition, "as [Jean] becomes larger, [Phoenix] becomes smaller," and "as [Phoenix] becomes larger, [Jean] becomes smaller." This is reflected in Claremont's dialogue for Jean below.

Rachel is Jean-Phoenix's daughter and is intrinsically connected to her mother's force, which she gradually manifested after her mother saved her and continued her work as White Phoenix. However, even while Rachel manifested and identified as Phoenix, her mother remained the White Phoenix of the Crown. Claremont made this clear in UXM #140.5 (2021).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Sounds like a good issue. Definitely buying it for the Jean and Logan interactions which sound great.
    Yea this and X-Men Red(#7) are perhaps the best issues throughout the event

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Not just "indictment," but more so damnation, in the Biblical sense of "there is no salvation from, no absolution for your greatest sin." That said, for all the Celestial's judgment of Jean, she did raise a point that the Celestial, whatever its justifications, would also be annihilating a world and all of its people, so . . .
    ...and as Dark Phoenix, she did it by accident, although DP didn't feel any remorse after the realisation. Zombie Celestial is deliberately choosing to annihilate an entire world, for **** reasons and faulty programming.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I said in the Jean thread that this was one of the best single Jean issue ever. Top 5 material. I love how strong, powerful, confident and competent she was potrayed. I love her firey passion and the nods to her distant and recent history. Also love seeing Scott reaffirmed as her husband again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Best Jean focused issue in years. Respected/reconfirmed her history while showing her recent thoughts on her actions while setting up more for future stories to delve into. Plus great art and wonderful character moments is a win win.
    ^ 100%

I got done with this issue and exclaimed to my partner that I'd just read the best Jean-focused issue in a decade, maybe more. I truly loved it. So much was done right. I'm excited yet nervous about where they take Jean next.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.