Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I think this was my favourite issue in this run so far: the narrative was relatively straightforward and the Threshold's backstory seems interesting so far, especially with that Arkea/Sublime final twist.

Am I the only one noticing how much the current X-Men era owes to the early naughties Battlestar Galactica reboot? An ancient civilization where humans and mutants/cylons lived together in prosperity, only to vanish without a trace? Orlando even explicitly mentions "the final three" in this issue! Resurrection technology with people emerging from goo? All this happened before and will happen again as per Moira/Caprica Six? I can clearly see all the parallels.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Wonder what role Dirtnap is playing in this. We saw him on one panel before in the previous issue.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Marvel's 40th attempt to make any non-Miguel Ohara 2099 character a thing

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    I believe that rat with the smiley face on its back that was near Lockheed is Dirtnap, an obscure 90s mutant that can absorb bodies into his own and take over their form.
    That is a really cool deep cut.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

Urrgh. I know they did their best for explain this, but I just cannot accept the entire human-like mutants existing two billion years ago and that they justify squaring it with actual science via the sentient bacteria characters.

Because of the box Kitty sent herself I still think this is time travel shenanigans and possibly a Cassandra Nova plot.

So, I found this book to be... kinda awkward. I have a hard time with mutants being around 2 billion years ago. I just don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    Urrgh. I know they did their best for explain this, but I just cannot accept the entire human-like mutants existing two billion years ago and that they justify squaring it with actual science via the sentient bacteria characters.

Because of the box Kitty sent herself I still think this is time travel shenanigans and possibly a Cassandra Nova plot.
    I hope you're right. Time will tell I guess.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I think this was my favourite issue in this run so far: the narrative was relatively straightforward and the Threshold's backstory seems interesting so far, especially with that Arkea/Sublime final twist.

Am I the only one noticing how much the current X-Men era owes to the early naughties Battlestar Galactica reboot? An ancient civilization where humans and mutants/cylons lived together in prosperity, only to vanish without a trace? Orlando even explicitly mentions "the final three" in this issue! Resurrection technology with people emerging from goo? All this happened before and will happen again as per Moira/Caprica Six? I can clearly see all the parallels.
    Eternal recurrence? Yeah, that does sound familiar, though in retrospect, it could be incredibly depressing and bleak, insofar as mutants (and humans) being doomed to repeat the same vicious cycles no matter how much time has passed or how advanced technologically and otherwise civilization becomes.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Marvel's 40th attempt to make any non-Miguel Ohara 2099 character a thing
    Well, 2099 has a lot more to offer than just Miguel O'Hara/Spider-Man, and I say that as a diehard Spider-Man fan, so good on Marvel for trying.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Oh I've literally been thinking Hickman is a huge Battlestar Galactica 2003 fan ever since HoX so I'm glad I'm not the only one. Yeah, resurrection technology is literally just Cylon tech and the continued focus on past lives and time loops, absolutely mirrors the importance of the whole thematic focus BsG had on 'all of this has happened before and will happen again.'

There is just something so nice everytime Connecticut is mentioned in media. especially comics, i take personal pride in the fact that lucy and ricky moved to wesport and though filmed elsewhere Bewitched was suppose to also be set in Westport Ct. It's kind of funny with how big the world is we still have these home state or town pride thing but also kind of personally grinningly exciting and personally exhilarating in a way. we humans really are vain. lol.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    There is just something so nice everytime Connecticut is mentioned in media. especially comics, i take personal pride in the fact that lucy and ricky moved to wesport and though filmed elsewhere Bewitched was suppose to also be set in Westport Ct. It's kind of funny with how big the world is we still have these home state or town pride thing but also kind of personally grinningly exciting and personally exhilarating in a way. we humans really are vain. lol.
    Connecticut was the launching pad for Marvel’s Civil War in the comics. Terrible storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Connecticut was the launching pad for Marvel’s Civil War in the comics. Terrible storyline.
    Stamford? Yeah, after Nitro blew up a neighborhood there in the middle of a fight with the New Warriors. Indeed. It was terrible.

Agreed. This was the first issue I truly enjoyed. I’m interested in the Threshold and their backstory. Though I worry the book is getting crazy crowded.
    Art was just fine. I get it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but I like how energetic it looks.
    Hope Orlando can turn this book around because I do think his ideas have potential. I’d hate to see the book go prematurely.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Eternal recurrence? Yeah, that does sound familiar, though in retrospect, it could be incredibly depressing and bleak, insofar as mutants (and humans) being doomed to repeat the same vicious cycles no matter how much time has passed or how advanced technologically and otherwise civilization becomes.

Well, 2099 has a lot more to offer than just Miguel O'Hara/Spider-Man, and I say that as a diehard Spider-Man fan, so good on Marvel for trying.
    Oh I'm not saying it's a bad idea to try to make 2099 stick beyond Miguel, just that it's basically not ever worked.
    Last edited by gonnagiveittoya; 10-08-2022 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Oh I'm not saying it's a bad idea to try to make 2099 stick beyond Miguel, just that it's basically not ever worked.
    All right, then. I understand what you're saying, though just because something hasn't worked before, doesn't mean it'll never work. I think it's just a matter of finding the right combo of things to make it work.

A random question: has the reason that Kate can't use the Krakoan gates ever been explained/resolved?