Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Is Spidey's supporting cast too involved in the superhero side of things?

It used to be that Spidey's supporting cast were all civilians who couldn't imagine their mild-mannered cohort, classmate, friend, rival or loved one was a superhero. Nowadays, you have everyone from MJ to Flash getting directly involved in his battles and being heroes (or villains) of their own. Has this trend gone too far? Not only does it somewhat diminish the uniqueness of Peter secretly being an extraordinary superhero in a world of ordinary people, but when they get taken out by non-powered friends of Peter it makes it seem like the villains are pushovers. If no one in his civilian cast (besides maybe JJJ and Aunt May) are still strictly on the sidelines, then what's the point of Peter even donning a mask when everyone can defend themselves?

To be honest that's a problem across the board for the Big Two.

Extraordinary Member

Yes...for a lot of characters...they need to be seen to have lives outside the costumes.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Yes...for a lot of characters...they need to be seen to have lives outside the costumes.
    I mean we have flash doing his thing as Ant Venom and Felecia had a run with Jed, but all it takes is a bad decision to ruin any progress she's had for years, MJ it's nice to see her interact with other heroes. Like I loved that she had a moment playing poker years ago with a bunch of female heroes. Just having them interact with other heroes as a casual thing is very much missed

Yeah of course how many times did Spiderman need to save Mj or Aunt may throughout the years? Mj goes to film a movie away from Peter and it gets attacked by his villains. Pretty pointless to have a secret identity if they are still being attack by your enemies
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    Yeah of course how many times did Spiderman need to save Mj or Aunt may throughout the years? Mj goes to film a movie away from Peter and it gets attacked by his villains. Pretty pointless to have a secret identity if they are still being attack by your enemies
    But also MJ is capable of taking down villain's as well. It's the character is being resourceful. But issue is with Peter's supporting cast is who really is his supporting cast. Bare bones now that you need to any run?

When you talk about supporting cast you mean his friends as Peter Parker right?
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    I mean we have flash doing his thing as Ant Venom and Felecia had a run with Jed, but all it takes is a bad decision to ruin any progress she's had for years, MJ it's nice to see her interact with other heroes. Like I loved that she had a moment playing poker years ago with a bunch of female heroes. Just having them interact with other heroes as a casual thing is very much missed
    Felecia was always on that side of Peter's life. And I have no issue with MJ knowing and interacting with Peter's 'other' friends. But they should keep her out of the superheroing.

BANNED

But also MJ is capable of taking down villain's as well. It's the character is being resourceful. But issue is with Peter's supporting cast is who really is his supporting cast. Bare bones now that you need to any run?
    No she shouldnt, its bad writting and PIS riddled non sense for enemies as strong as as smart as Peter to be haltrd by normal people and their so called resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Felecia was always on that side of Peter's life. And I have no issue with MJ knowing and interacting with Peter's 'other' friends. But they should keep her out of the superheroing.
    Well you're not getting your wish there, she gets powers in Dark Web.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Not a fan of it. It’s one of the main reasons why I didn’t like the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon either. Everyone in Peter’s personal life was a superhero/had powers by the end of the show. There was no need for him to have a private life.

When was this? I want to see it .
    Quote Originally Posted by hoth82 View Post
    Not a fan of it. It’s one of the main reasons why I didn’t like the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon either. Everyone in Peter’s personal life was a superhero/had powers by the end of the show. There was no need for him to have a private life.
    We barely got to see him out of the suit or unmasked in the later seasons.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I would say this is something that has definitely bled over from Superhero shows and movies getting more popular; the idea of hiding your superhero identity from your close friends & family have become really antiquated.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I would say this is something that has definitely bled over from Superhero shows and movies getting more popular; the idea of hiding your superhero identity from your close friends & family have become really antiquated.
    The only time I’ve ever seen an ID reveal done right, is Daredevil in the 2000s-2010s when there was an “is he, isn’t he?” question towards the end. Then it was unfortunately retconned like every ID reveal is in the MU.

Extraordinary Member

It only ever really bugs me when every member of a hero's supporting cast is either a superhero themselves or just has super powers. That's a main reason that with every season of Arrow I disliked it more and more. To use another show as an example, I really liked the way the DD show handled it's supporting cast. Each contributed to the plot and taking down the bad guy (usually Kingpin), but none of them were as capable and key as Matt.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 10-07-2022 at 12:52 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.