Spectacular Member

Default Any advice on starting your own comic series?

I was thinking about trying to create indie comics, but I'm not really sure how to go about it. For starters, I imagine it would be kind of expensive to hire an artist, as I cannot draw well enough to create what I want. I'm also not sure if my idea would be marketable; right now, it's a lot like Batman fan fiction, only different character names and slightly different goals and focuses. I'm not sure I'm not too close with what I've imagined so far, and I certainly don't want to get over the hurdle of creating this to get copy claimed.

Any advice?

I suppose that, if you don’t draw well, you write interesting stories…

I think that you should first test your ideas in small formats, to see how people react… Internet should give these opportunities. If you already write interesting stories, it may catch attention of artists…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

In addition, you could use the internet to post shorter material (2-10 pages.) Sometimes it goes viral. I'm thinking of one particular Batman fanfic.

https://www.cbr.com/fan-comic-brings...-a-bloody-end/

You might be able to raise the money to pay an artist to do shorter material, and it's not as major a commitment on their end.

You could also look into various online communities with aspiring comic book artists, or see if there are any meetups in your area. If there are comic conventions, get to know people in artist alley. Maybe you'll find an aspiring artists who wants shorter stories to show publishers as a calling card.

As Zelena said, there are ways to do stories online first. On these projects, it's okay to have weirder art, so you could try copying and pasting public domain work, and repurposing it, or using clipart, or even AI art.

Ryan North's Dinosaur comics led to work on Squirrel Girl, Jughead and Adventure Time comics.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets