All-New Member Gary Alexander Stott's Avatar

Default The Punisher: Dirty Laundry

How many of you have seen this 'fan-made' short film produced by and starring Thomas Jane (the 2004 Punisher & comics writer) and Ron Perlman?

I think it may just be the best on-screen adaptation of the character to date. There's a surprising amount of artistic merit in the short, too.

Shame about the visual effects, but for a fan film it's a great piece.

I only have two problems with it:

1) Why doesn't Frank interfere as soon as he sees the criminals? Surely that would be more in-character? He's obviously trying to keep his head down, but I don't feel like the Punisher would see something like that happening and not take action straight away.

2) I can't quite figure out the answer to Frank's question. What is the difference? What is the film trying to suggest about justice and punishment?

What do you guys think about this film?

BANNED

It got posted here when it first came out, back before the whole forum was wiped.

I wouldn't really call it a fan film. It's a short made by a director that's already done Hollywood movies and music videos.

Last edited by simbob4000; 09-03-2014 at 04:16 PM.

Hopefully Tom Jane can be brought back into the MCU, possibly in the NetFlix series that are coming up. Hopefully he'll get his own spinoff show.

Fantastic Member

Man the Punisher roaming around the "Netflix MCU" would be triumphant.

I think what he meant was that simply getting killed by the Punisher would have been punishment. But what he ultimately got in the end was justice. Great short film.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Alexander Stott View Post
    How many of you have seen this 'fan-made' short film produced by and starring Thomas Jane (the 2004 Punisher & comics writer) and Ron Perlman?

I think it may just be the best on-screen adaptation of the character to date. There's a surprising amount of artistic merit in the short, too.

Shame about the visual effects, but for a fan film it's a great piece.

I only have two problems with it:

1) Why doesn't Frank interfere as soon as he sees the criminals? Surely that would be more in-character? He's obviously trying to keep his head down, but I don't feel like the Punisher would see something like that happening and not take action straight away.

2) I can't quite figure out the answer to Frank's question. What is the difference? What is the film trying to suggest about justice and punishment?

What do you guys think about this film?
    1) I think the element of surprise that this was a Punisher short film had a lot to do with Jane's Punisher not acting immediately. It would also play into a tactical interpretation of the character, holding back until you understand the situation and your potential targets/adversaries.

2) I agree with Muramasa.

It is very faithful to Frank, very brutal and hard for me to watch (that's a compliment.) As much as I liked Ray Stevenson as Castle, as a Punisher movie, War Zone stunk. I wasn't much of a fan of Jane's Punisher either until I saw this. If they're going to go full on violence and grit, premium cable would be the way to go. For me, this feels a little too dark for Netflix (despite what they're doing with some of their own shows now.)
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Alexander (not)Luthor Jr AlexG.'s Avatar
    Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground (My house)

Even though I'm not familiar with the character, I found that short film very good. I'd love to see a movie like that on the big screen. (It wouldn't fit with Marvel's happy, joke-y movie universe, however. Let's hope the Netflix shows are a bit darker and grittier in their approach, so that it's possible to see something like Dirty Laundry there.)