Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Wait the villain is named King Fire Bull? Seriously? Did they even try with giving him a good name

Maybe I got some wires crossed, but the story I'm thinking of didn't have Captain Atom in it that I recall, and came out somewhere in the late 00's I think, after Karen's proper Kryptonian origins were put back in place. I wanna say it was Waid's Brave and the Bold series, but might've been Diana's solo? If you were talking about another story I don't think I ever read it. 90's? Was this around the time of Sovereign Seven or after?

But yeah, Diana has been screwed over more than any of DC's other big names. It's driven me away from her book time and time again, only for me to return with new creative teams in the vain hope that things will be better, longer, this time. But that doesn't mean she needs to dominate every battle and scene she's ever in. Even Clark loses sometimes (quite often, actually; for a guy who's supposed to be the strongest man alive he pulls a lot of 'come from behind' victories out of his ass). Hell, he lost to Diana during Sacrifice, though she took one hell of a beating along the way.

And yes, Billy used a "magic punch" to take Clark down. Which works as an excuse until you remember all the times Clark has taken a powerful magic attack to the face and didn't fall down, much less get knocked out.
    Last edited by Ascended; 12-03-2022 at 02:21 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Maybe I got some wires crossed, but the story I'm thinking of didn't have Captain Atom in it that I recall, and came out somewhere in the late 00's I think, after Karen's proper Kryptonian origins were put back in place. I wanna say it was Waid's Brave and the Bold series, but might've been Diana's solo? If you were talking about another story I don't think I ever read it. 90's? Was this around the time of Sovereign Seven or after?

But yeah, Diana has been screwed over more than any of DC's other big names. It's driven me away from her book time and time again, only for me to return with new creative teams in the vain hope that things will be better, longer, this time. But that doesn't mean she needs to dominate every battle and scene she's ever in. Even Clark loses sometimes (quite often, actually; for a guy who's supposed to be the strongest man alive he pulls a lot of 'come from behind' victories out of his ass). Hell, he lost to Diana during Sacrifice, though she took one hell of a beating along the way.

And yes, Billy used a "magic punch" to take Clark down. Which works as an excuse until you remember all the times Clark has taken a powerful magic attack to the face and didn't fall down, much less get knocked out.
    It was a 90s comics. Around the time powergirl was an atlantean. And restrained Diana. Not a good look for Di.

At least shazam was a better excuse. A magic lightning boosted suckerpunch is better than what Diana got in brave and the bold.

And Superman doesn't come close to have the massive anti and low end feats that Diana has at this point. She takes the cake easily. These days, Diana struggles and loses most fights against any super human stats character. What is the point? At this rate what is so impressive about beating her? We have reached that state with Diana. why would anybody think that getting the best of her is a big deal, when she is no longer impressive power wise and has been like this for years. DC has no excuse. They would never treat any of the men like this.

Astonishing Member

I was right about about JL disbanding. And I was right nothing bad would happen to Hal.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    Simone had Diana fight PG and took full powered hits from PG without getting one shotted. While waid had Diana one shotted by PG. Massive difference. So yes, waid portrays Diana as weak. Disrespecting her.
    But Diana mostly fought her by having to use her warrior training and skills rather than a full contest of strength. And it's not like she was totally down with one hit in Waid's story.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But Diana mostly fought her by having to use her warrior training and skills rather than a full contest of strength. And it's not like she was totally down with one hit in Waid's story.
    Simone run had PG hitting Diana multiple times, even punching Diana to Canada without getting KO. The comic literally stated they were both in the same power class. simone has also said on Twitter that Diana is in the same strength class as Powergirl and Shazam. And that Diana didn't want to fight at first. You can see that she starts to get the upper hand when she starts to fight back more seriously. While waid had Diana down in one hit. Huge difference. waid portrays WW as weak. He disrespected her.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Wait the villain is named King Fire Bull? Seriously? Did they even try with giving him a good name
    King Fire Bull is a demon from Chinese mythology which ties into Nezha, who's also tied to China's myths.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    King Fire Bull is a demon from Chinese mythology which ties into Nezha, who's also tied to China's myths.
    You mean the Bull Demon King? I dont see any reference to him being called King Fire Bull though either way....should give him a more enticing name.

It was a 90s comics.
    Then I don't think I've read it, and I'm thinking of a different story.

And I'm not arguing that DC has done Diana dirty and she's the worst treated member of the Big 7. I agree that she is, though DC has certainly enjoyed making a habit of screwing over some of the others too. What I was saying is that under normal (ie; kryptonian) circumstances there's no shame in Diana losing a round to Power Girl.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Simone run had PG hitting Diana multiple times, even punching Diana to Canada without getting KO. The comic literally stated they were both in the same power class. simone has also said on Twitter that Diana is in the same strength class as Powergirl and Shazam. And that Diana didn't want to fight at first. You can see that she starts to get the upper hand when she starts to fight back more seriously. While waid had Diana down in one hit. Huge difference. waid portrays WW as weak. He disrespected her.
    But I don't think Simone depicted it as if Diana would absolutely win against Karen and when she got "serious" it was with her Amazon training and not pure raw power, and I don't think Diana came off anywhere near as weak under Waids' pen because she didn't stay down and resolved the situation in the end.

It’s what his name in Chinese means translated to English.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Dammit. I hate ignore lists but that's enough. Half of every thread now is one person making the same inane argument over and over again. Unfortunately I'll still have to see the posts of all the people responding to them. Y'all could really help me out by not feeding the trolls.

You mean the Bull Demon King? I dont see any reference to him being called King Fire Bull though either way....should give him a more enticing name.
    I can’t remember if they actually named him that in Monkey Prince. I know they’ve shown him but I’m a bit behind
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Don't worry, we are still extreme far away from Wonder Woman dominating every serious battle she is in, on the contrary back then Superman and Batman were the only definitive red flags, now it looks more like a growing list of characters she likely jobs to. And Superman is a terrible counter-example, because Sacrifice is the exception not the rule, and they even watered it down with later context for no good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But I don't think Simone depicted it as if Diana would absolutely win against Karen and when she got "serious" it was with her Amazon training and not pure raw power, and I don't think Diana came off anywhere near as weak under Waids' pen because she didn't stay down and resolved the situation in the end.
    The Simone battle showed them Physical peers. Diana took many full powered hits without being KO. And if you want to know what Simone thinks about how the battle would go between them.

https://twitter.com/GailSimone/statu...01211001589762

The waid battle had Diana down after one hit. Huge difference. waid disrespected her.