Extraordinary Member

Default Swamp Thing: Green Hell #2 Preview

Swamp Thing: Green Hell #2 Preview
    Writer: Jeff Lemire
    Artist: Doug Mahnke

This is very interesting, so they bought back Moore's Swamp Thing and not New 52's Alec? Sure, you could explain it by shared memories, but I think it would be cheating a bit in this case.

Also interesting that this is the second time we see Tefe fairly recently. Until now it was kinda implied that the story of Moore's Swamp Thing ended with Moore's run, but now at least Veitch's run should also be valid?

And yes, I know that this is Black Label, but Lemire mentioned that this a coda to his Animan Man run so I feel like it is a bit more relevant than jus another BL book.

Swampie never gets his true peace...

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Hey this is finally back, great. Man the delays were painful.

How many issues is this getting again?

This and one more next month.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Yeah, I’m def gonna have to re-read first issue before this since it’s been a bit. But yeah, nice to have it back!
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Good read, but too much Constantine and I'm a bit disappointed that this doesn't really seem to fit with anything else, but maybe last issue will connect it better with Lemire's Animal Man.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Good read, but too much Constantine and I'm a bit disappointed that this doesn't really seem to fit with anything else, but maybe last issue will connect it better with Lemire's Animal Man.
    Reading this I can see what you mean by that. Its a good book but its kinda annoying how Constantine is always the plot mover of the story. Swampy doesn't technically move the story forward, he's more holding the line until Constantine can enact the final step of his apparent grand plan.

Huh with the Rot, Red, and Green all working together, I wonder what happened to other nature forces like the Clear.

My guess would be that they don't exist in this story. He used just the main three in his Animal Man run and he is likely to stick with that here.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    That tends to happen...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Reading this I can see what you mean by that. Its a good book but its kinda annoying how Constantine is always the plot mover of the story. Swampy doesn't technically move the story forward, he's more holding the line until Constantine can enact the final step of his apparent grand plan.

Huh with the Rot, Red, and Green all working together, I wonder what happened to other nature forces like the Clear.
    Those elemental parts only existed in the Tynion JLD, PAD Aquaman and the Mark Millar ST run.

Lemire&Snyder was Rot, Green and Red and the Rot imo was clearly a connection to Blackest Night when Rotworld was suppose to be a Blackest Night related thning with AM/ST.

Soule added the Divided (micro-organisms) and Gray (from the original Vertigo Swamp Thing).

This is clearly an extension of stuff from Lemire's AM + his take on ST so Abbey isn't an avatar.

Soule also added Metal and imagination realm (don't remember what it was called exactly) towards the end of his run.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Well the art and action certainly did not disappoint. I re-read issue one, then this. What's nice is that finale is quickly coming next month. Overall, I am enjoying it. I don't necessarily mind that Constantine is the maguffin, but I see everyone's point for sure. Seems like he'll play an even bigger part in the finale. (although I did laugh when he dropped the "easy tiger" line)

Love the gore, glad its on black label. For such a large book (physically, that is), seemed like a pretty quick read.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog