Default Spaghetti Western Film Recommendations not by Sergio Leone

Huge fan of Sergio Leone's work and the genre has always fascinated me. What are some recommended films that are not by Sergio Leone?

I've browsed various lists but would like to hear from some of you.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

This one tops a lot of the lists, so it's kind of obvious, but the Grand Silence is really good.

An odd thing about Spaghetti westerns is that the lists are dominated by Sergios. Obviously, there's Leone with his five films. But then there's Sergio Corbucci and Sergio Solima.

On one top twenty, the three Sergios have 12 1/2 films (Leone co-directed one, which I didn't know about.)

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/in...l_Top_20_Films
    Last edited by Mister Mets; 10-08-2022 at 07:11 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Obviously not everything was gold or even silver like Leones'. But there are plenty that can still be enjoyed despite lack of polish (or even because of it).

I would suggest starting with the three most famous multi-movie examples of the genre (as far as i'm aware):

The Sabata Trilogy (Sabata, Adios Sabata, Return of Sabata) staring Lee Van Cleef in the first and third movie and Yul Brynner in the second.
    The Django movies staring Franco Nero (Django, Django Strikes again).
    The Satarna movies staring Gianni Garko in the lead role (except in the third movie).

All three also open up the way to the infamous derivatives of the genre, which were unrelated movies given their names for international releases to confuse the audience into watching them expecting sequels or higher quality products. Several of them are still enjoyable spagetti western in their own rights.

One such movie was "Django, Prepare a Coffin" which stars Terrence Hill in the lead role, who was a rather prominent figure in the mid to late era of Spagetti Western including staring in Leone's own homage to the genre "My Name is Nobody" and "A Genius, Two Partners and a Dupe"

A notable Terrence Hill spagetti western is "God Forgives... I Don't" which would start his long movie partnership with Bud Spencer (also a notable actor of the genre) which had a sequel in "Aces High" also staring Eli Wallach.

They would also star in the very successfull, albeit much more light hearted Trinity movies "They Call me Trinity" and "Trinity Is Still My Name", which neverless had all the classic elements of the genre.

Spencer himself also stared in a movie named "A Reason to Live, A Reason to Die", staring James Coburn and Terry Savalas.

"My Name is Nobody", Terrence Hill and Henry Fonda.

Also "Kill Me Quick Ringo, Said The Gringo", starring Rick Dalton

Last edited by Kirby101; 10-08-2022 at 11:36 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Death Rides A Horse/Man To Man featuring John Phillip Law and Lee Van Cleef.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

This list is definitely the best on the net. Can't go wrong with these.

Django
    Death Rides A Horse
    The Great Silence
    The Big Gundown (I prefer the italian version cut, which has no English dubbing)
    Companeros
    Face to Face
    Day of Anger
    A Bullet for the General

The Price of Power (1969) is an interesting good one the list leaves off that I recommend, but they do review it on the site:
    https://www.spaghetti-western.net/in...f_Power_Review
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 10-10-2022 at 11:30 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

The Great Silence.

Great recommendations! Since October I’ve viewed:

Death Rides A Horse- 5/5 highly entertaining and great story.
    Day of Anger - 5/5
    The Big Gundown- 4/5 a bit cheesy in some places but overall really enjoyed.
    Texas , Adios with Franco Nero- 4/5 cheesy but Nero was fantastic wish I could have found a non dubbed version.
    Django……still thinking on this one. Lots of action and good visuals, the song was pretty bad and it just kind of ends? 3/5
    The Great Silence- 1/5 While I loved the snow, it was very long and very depressing. I mean I get what he was going for in this but it wasn’t for me.

Going to check out Sabata next.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

Just finished, God Forgives I don’t. 6/5
    This has been the best film outside of the Leone films that I’ve watched.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I figure Corbucci is the second best director in genre, after Leone. Corbucci just directed so many greats of the genre and his films had such memorable musical scores. And I like my westerns, and spaghetti westerns, to be darker (with less comedy). Would be tough for me to rank Corbucci's best (Great Silence might the best, but I'm really not certain, be tough, require rewatching).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-27-2023 at 01:52 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”