Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Correction. CAPTAIN MARVEL is the lead.
    Yeah I wish they could call him that too. Hell they should have just called him Captain Marvelous instead of calling him Shazam. It really grinds my gears.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Yeah I wish they could call him that too. Hell they should have just called him Captain Marvelous instead of calling him Shazam. It really grinds my gears.
    I feel ya man. Hell Captain Thunder would have been a better name than Shazam

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    I feel ya man. Hell Captain Thunder would have been a better name than Shazam
    And, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he go by that name sometimes, when he was Captain Marvel?

Wouldn't have come out of nowhere or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    Correction: Captain Marvel will be the lead in her own movie.

Brought to you by Marvel Studios in the next 2 years.

DC legally surrendered the name to Marvel. It's over.
    Never. I will never except that name. Shazam is his magic word, always will be.
    Life is but a dream

BANNED

Put it this way. Say the name out loud and imagine how ridiculous that name is going to sound on live action..

Ultimate Member

No more ridiculous than "Captain Marvel" or "Captain Thunder." They're textbook examples of "ridiculous comic book names."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    No more ridiculous than "Captain Marvel" or "Captain Thunder." They're textbook examples of "ridiculous comic book names."
    Whatever you say.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    I've seen people on various boards over the years fan-cast the Rock as Namor as well as Black Adam. It's interesting that he seems to be immune to the usual backlash when a non-white actor plays white comic book characters. I haven't seen any of the usual hatred directed toward Momoa, either.
    Because he doesn't look black. He reads as "ambiguously ethnic" to the average white guy.

BANNED

Also, Black Adam, ancient Egyptian, isn't exactly white, definitely not in most modern depictions.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Also, Black Adam, ancient Egyptian, isn't exactly white, definitely not in most modern depictions.
    Interestingly he has already played an egyptian before...
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I am very angry. The Rock has spent more time now as a face than he has as a heel (to use his wrestling parlance). Setting him up as a villain is the wrong move. I don't care about the "sometimes anti-hero" angle with Adam. Johnson was better suited to be the adult version of Billy Batson- who could have easily been made into a child of color (Samoan, Arab, Hispanic, black, etc.). But hey-- folks can now say that they will get their "racially pure" Captain Marvel now. "Kudos", DC...
    Whoa... who has said that... at all?

The Rock could have made a great Captain Marvel, not denying that at all. Personally, I think Captain Marvel is a bit too "Gee Golly Wiz Mister" in his character, so I don't think he's nearly as interesting as Black Adam who is, when portrayed right, a complex character who toes the line between Villain and Anti-Hero. I think The Rock is better suited to a more multifaceted role like Black Adam vs playing Captain Marvel, but hey, he could have done well on it.

I'm just saying, the point of Captain Marvel is the whole bit about him being a kid's mind in an adult body. Basically, Captain Marvel is "What if Big were a Superhero movie". My thoughts on Patrick Warburton being in the role was based entirely on the notion of who would be the funnest to see playing out that "Big imposing guy with the mind of a kid" idea, and I think Patrick Warburton would be hysterical like that. Especially because we KINDA already got to see (well, hear) that with his role as Kronk in the Emperor's New Groove.

Sorry... but I agree. I'll never call the character "Shazam". He's DC/Fawcett's Captain Marvel as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by DemonRin; 09-03-2014 at 04:02 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I am very angry. The Rock has spent more time now as a face than he has as a heel (to use his wrestling parlance). Setting him up as a villain is the wrong move. I don't care about the "sometimes anti-hero" angle with Adam. Johnson was better suited to be the adult version of Billy Batson- who could have easily been made into a child of color (Samoan, Arab, Hispanic, black, etc.). But hey-- folks can now say that they will get their "racially pure" Captain Marvel now. "Kudos", DC...
    Man people get angry over anything these days. Lighten up guys

This is good. I just couldn't picture the Rock as Shazam.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    This is good. I just couldn't picture the Rock as Shazam.
    I figured Black Adam was the role he was going to play. Be a completely missed opportunity otherwise

Spectacular Member The New Black's Avatar

I dig it.

You could say this was the easy part of the casting though. I agree with the sentiment that it's going to be challenging to find someone to play Marvel/Shazam who can match what Johnson brings to the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by G. Boney View Post
    I've seen people on various boards over the years fan-cast the Rock as Namor as well as Black Adam. It's interesting that he seems to be immune to the usual backlash when a non-white actor plays white comic book characters. I haven't seen any of the usual hatred directed toward Momoa, either.
    As far as I'm concerned, Johnson and Momoa have the charisma and talent to handle the roles. And it also doesn't hurt that they're already built like comic book superheroes.