Page 29 of 79 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Not Parasite. There is another screen (with Superman screaming) devoted to him/them.
    And you forget spoilers:
    the weird-looking jacket + bowtie.
    end of spoilers

Now I have realized what it is spoilers:
    - it's the jacket worn by Frenzy, one of the members of the Brotherhood of Dada. Doom patrol/Superman crossover incoming.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Mark Waid foreshadowing it with that issue where Batman and Superman fought Nobody .
    end of spoilers

I just remembered Mercy Graves got powers in Lazarus Planet - Assault on Krypton

Lazarus Planet - Assault on Krypton 001 (2023) (Webrip) (The Last Kryptonian-DCP)-031.jpgLazarus Planet - Assault on Krypton 001 (2023) (Webrip) (The Last Kryptonian-DCP)-032.jpg

I wonder how this will play into the story?

Quote Originally Posted by CosmeticSkull View Post
    I just remembered Mercy Graves got powers in Lazarus Planet - Assault on Krypton

Lazarus Planet - Assault on Krypton 001 (2023) (Webrip) (The Last Kryptonian-DCP)-031.jpgLazarus Planet - Assault on Krypton 001 (2023) (Webrip) (The Last Kryptonian-DCP)-032.jpg

I wonder how this will play into the story?
    She might try and keep it a secret while she goes after other victims of the Lazarus rain.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I had good laugh with this one..i liked the laid back head phone thing..The best thing i liked was Clark's size..The guy is pretty biiiiig.I still wish manchester wasn't dead.Lex is refreshing..
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-22-2023 at 10:00 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Alright let’s pour over the teasers:

Here’s all the screens (and poor Bizarro getting taken apart):

Given the return of DCAU Toyman, I’m wondering if Zdarsky is going to kill off “classic” Toyman in his backup? Or that Toyman will be left on another Earth, freeing up the space for a revamped Toyman inspired by the DCAU to take his place.

The panel under the Kryptonite Klaw is the one I’m unsure of still. I can see how it could be Solaris but it’s vague enough that it could be an OC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    So far, so good, but after the weak tea that was Infinite Frontier and Dark Crisis, Williamson has an uphill battle to win me over now.

But, dear lord, that's some great art.

Lex as Jimminy Cricket is a great idea. Not too sure about the new Police Cheif. I'll wait and see on this one. I don't want another Ronald Troupe situation wherein they create a new POC then do absolutely nothing interesting with them, but keep them around in the background to check a diversity box. What happened to Inspector (Commissioner?) Henderson?
    I fully believed Williamson wanted to use Maggie Sawyer, but Taylor swiped her for his Nightwing book first. That forced him to create an OC. He could’ve used Henderson I suppose, but I think Henderson is still white on the main Earth? Only non-white Henderson I know of is the black one in Superman Smashes The Klan.
    Last edited by Vordan; 02-22-2023 at 10:28 AM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I had good laugh with this one..i liked the laid back head phone thing..The best thing i liked was Clark's size..The guy is pretty biiiiig.I still wish manchester wasn't dead.Lex is refreshing..
    Me too, although I think a lot of people suspect he’ll be back. Thought I saw that PKJ even admitted as much. Here’s to hoping for a triumphant (or maybe more appropriately, a not so triumphant ) return.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Williamson and Campbell’s first issue has held onto the #1 spot on Amazon for over a day. Impressive considering the X-Men and Nightwing usually hold that spot.

Maybe we might achieve the impossible and actually have both Superman and Action Comics sell out. Can’t remember the last time both of them achieved that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Me too, although I think a lot of people suspect he’ll be back. Thought I saw that PKJ even admitted as much. Here’s to hoping for a triumphant (or maybe more appropriately, a not so triumphant ) return.
    PKJ basically said we didn’t see a body so you never know. I fully expect Manchester will be back by the end of his Action run.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Probably the least meaningful thing in those previews but what automatically jumps out to me: once again trying out a take on the old Superman font, with the angled corners instead of rounded. I remember they were using this in the Bendis run hype too. Although it looks like this time they've kinda combined the two, as the edges are sharper but softened compared to the original.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

I fully believed Williamson wanted to use Maggie Sawyer, but Taylor swiped her for his Nightwing book first. That forced him to create an OC. He could’ve used Henderson I suppose, but I think Henderson is still white on the main Earth? Only non-white Henderson I know of is the black one in Superman Smashes The Klan.
    I actually think that the new chief police may turn out to be a villain.
    Williamson said some time ago that there were clues to three villains on the cover, and I see the two mad scientists and the moon. If we assume that the villain isn't Marylin whatever (who could actually be a villain, all things considered), there's only Mercy and the new chief police left.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Always thought the new chief character had a Satanus vibe, tbh.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    I actually think that the new chief police may turn out to be a villain.
    Williamson said some time ago that there were clues to three villains on the cover, and I see the two mad scientists and the moon. If we assume that the villain isn't Marylin whatever (who could actually be a villain, all things considered), there's only Mercy and the new chief police left.
    Moonlight was included on a variant cover with Superman fighting his Rogues. I think while she’s not an outright evil person, her brand of “anti-heroism” might be too close to the Red Hood for Supes to condone. She does seem to use guns too. The new police contact was on the “heroic” side of the Campbell cover with Lois and Jimmy, so my guess is that he will start out as an ally for now. Maybe if Williamson can swipe Maggie Sawyer back from Taylor he’ll have the new guy go bad, but I’m assuming that Chief Kekoa is Williamson’s attempt to create a Gordon for Superman.

Astonishing Member

The new police contact was on the “heroic” side of the Campbell cover with Lois and Jimmy, so my guess is that he will start out as an ally for now.
    Yes, but so was Mercy and Lex's undeniably evil hologram.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Hah I was just saying in the Superman Rogues thread how it sucks that DC doesn’t use TAS version of Toyman. And now Williamson and Campbell are gonna seemingly deliver.

Also the orbs in Brainiac’s ship are reminiscent of how TAS version collected cities. He didn’t shrink the physical cities, he just downloaded the information before destroying them.

Is that Lobo chained up in the top left image?
    Last edited by Robotman; 02-22-2023 at 02:00 PM.

Incredible Member

I kind of wish Kon had importance and plots in this comic, I feel he has a lot of potential with the Williamson's ideas

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Hah I was just saying in the Superman Rogues thread how it sucks that DC doesn’t use TAS version of Toyman. And now Williamson and Campbell are gonna seemingly deliver.

Also the orbs in Brainiac’s ship are reminiscent of how TAS version collected cities. He didn’t shrink the physical cities, he just downloaded the information before destroying them.

Is that Lobo chained up in the top left image?
    Yes. The screens shown in the issue show the same images shown in this variant cover (with some variations on the theme, of course - including Toyman):
    https://ashavecomics.com/wp-content/.../0223DC023.jpg

But yes, this series looks very reminiscent of Superman TAS mixed with some of Superman's greatest hits. Nothing huge in All-Star Superman style, but an excellent and relatively stable basis for a long term Superman saga. My only regret is that I am a bit too old and wearied out as far as superhero books are concerned to fully enjoy it. But if I had read it when I was 16, I'd have adored this and Action Comics as well. Maybe a bit decompressed, now that I think of it.

By the way, if you compare Brainiac's profile in the final page with Gary Frank's version you'll notice that some details are vaguely different. He isn't exactly like the Brainiac-thug introduced by Gary Frank and I suspect that they are making a version of Brainiac more similar to the one created for TAS (just three dots on the forehead, and a neck-collar, but even the boots remind of Brainiac TAS).