Page 51 of 79 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast

Oh hey, it is another series of posts about how Didio hated Dick so much that he published multiple all-time great runs featuring him. And I'm not even sure what this has to do with Superman.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

We were talking about the historical context of events including or built around Superman, how the latest Crisis writer is not only writing Superman and heading into the Knight Terrors coming soon, but calls his upcoming story an event unto itself. I'm really fascinated by a contrast because both Didio and Williamson have been explaining their perspectives with these same things within the past week, but fair enough.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I don't usually read interviews, what're they saying?

And "all time great runs" my ass. Morrison's Batman and King/Seely's Grayson, sure, but nobody ever claimed there weren't a few highlights. But that's getting away from the conversation, which is about editorial influences on Events.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I don't usually read interviews, what're they saying?

And "all time great runs" my ass. Morrison's Batman and King/Seely's Grayson, sure, but nobody ever claimed there weren't a few highlights. But that's getting away from the conversation, which is about editorial influences on Events.
    I meant Didio did a retrospective podcast interview around the time of my first post and Vordan linked the Williamson one. I tend to read interviews and never listen, actually, but because they're on YouTube I can use the transcript as a guide to skip around to what I wanna know

Since I was the one who was initially optimistic about Williamson & PKJ building towards an event, I’ll throw in a word of caution by saying I was envisioning an event restricted to just the Superbooks. Something like the upcoming Gotham War crossover. A line wide event isn’t what I want to see, at least not from Williamson. He’s already done two of them relatively close to each other, and Dark Crisis sucked, a third one would almost guarantee the Superbooks would be negatively impacted from people getting sick of Williamson events unless he hit a home run.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

https://twitter.com/glebmelnikov8/st...487sLx_4UoiJsQ

Missed this, not sure if it’s still connected to Superman or not. Looks like a frog in chains lol.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    https://twitter.com/glebmelnikov8/st...487sLx_4UoiJsQ

Missed this, not sure if it’s still connected to Superman or not. Looks like a frog in chains lol.
    My first thought was some version of Brainiac.

I do not post over here in the Superman forums enough. I love everything about the current Superman run and everything that is going on in the Superman books. Superman: Lost is simply amazing. Have not been this excited about Superman comics since the early 1990's.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Since I was the one who was initially optimistic about Williamson & PKJ building towards an event, I’ll throw in a word of caution by saying I was envisioning an event restricted to just the Superbooks.
    I'd love a quality "Sinestro Corps War" style Super Event. Honestly, franchise-only events are damn near the only ones I have any interest in these days, and then only if they're fairly rare.

I don't think anyone here is against the idea of a Superman focused Event, we're just discussing the pro's and con's of it.

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    I do not post over here in the Superman forums enough. I love everything about the current Superman run and everything that is going on in the Superman books. Superman: Lost is simply amazing. Have not been this excited about Superman comics since the early 1990's.
    Right? We're living in glorious times. I'm pulling, I think, every Super book on the shelf and enjoying the hell out of them. Last time I did that was indeed the triangle era.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'd love a quality "Sinestro Corps War" style Super Event. Honestly, franchise-only events are damn near the only ones I have any interest in these days, and then only if they're fairly rare.

I don't think anyone here is against the idea of a Superman focused Event, we're just discussing the pro's and con's of it.

Right? We're living in glorious times. I'm pulling, I think, every Super book on the shelf and enjoying the hell out of them. Last time I did that was indeed the triangle era.
    Who’s the current editor of the super franchise?

Paul Kaminski, the Rebirth editor. They left him behind during Bendis but thankfully he's back.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Right on! While I happen to like everything Super these days, what’s great about this current period is that there’s certainly no shortage of top notch material that there’s something for everyone right now it would seem. So even if you don’t love every book, there’s something that will suit one’s fancy.

IMG_1887.jpg
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Incredible Member

I'm a guy that goes back to the early 90's reading Superman . And yes I agree that Superman : Lost is very interesting and different and I'm really enjoying it a lot . I wish that it was 12 issues and it's cool to see what a guy like Priest with his experience brings to the table .
    Already I would hope that he would be up for another Superman story once Lost is completed .

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Paul Kaminski, the Rebirth editor. They left him behind during Bendis but thankfully he's back.
    I wasn't terribly impressed by Rebirth. Had I been in charge I likely wouldn't have brought Kaminski back. At least based on the comics, I know nothing of the guy and he might be a real clever editor with ideas I'd consider more profitable. But yeah, if I'd been in charge, Kaminski wouldn't have come back unless he had a good view and pitch for the line. And I'd have been wrong. The guy has worked magic since returning.

And to be fair, the folks in charge of WB (both Discovery and AT&T before them) deserve some credit too. Say what we will about Didio or any other high ranking DC manager/editor/administrator, end of the day the suits at WB can probably force an idea through, or kill one, at their leisure, if/when they bother to look at something as small potatoes as comics.

So we have those guys to thank too. Both claimed that Superman was a high priority for them, and while AT&T didn't keep WB long enough to prove it in larger media, they definitely put their money where their mouth was in print, and Discovery/Zaslav has built on what they started. Or rather, stayed out of the way and allowed that success to continue and build. And "staying out of the way" is actually a skill more managers need to master. No lie, it's a legit skill; a talent for knowing when you're not gonna be adding anything of merit to the process, and knowing when to trust your employees.

I don't think we've ever had this many Elseworlds and miniseries running at one time, nor such an uninterrupted string of them, which has provided tons of options for anyone who isn't enjoying the main titles.

Really, the only weak link right now is Jon's book, and while I find his solo relatively bland, it's not 'bad,' and it's still selling decently from what I hear. When "average" is your low point, it's a good day to be a Super fan.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-02-2023 at 12:05 PM.

~ Black Panther.

Kaminski was in the Superman editorial during Rebirth, but he wasn’t the head like he is now, Berganza still was in charge iirc. Actually I believe he was fairly low on the totem pole. Kaminski was Yang’s editor for NSM during Rebirth, and that was the best Super book of the line at that time.