Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default The Virgil Ovid Hawkins aka Static Appreciation Thread!

DC Forum Appreciation Thread rules:

1) No negative comments about the honoree of this thread. It's an appreciation thread, not a non-appreciation one.

2) No negative discussion about any competitors of the honoree of this thread (i.e. John Stewart in the Hal Jordan thread). No ifs, ands, or buts. Find another non-appreciation thread to do that, just not here.

3) No negative comments about other versions of the character. For example, if you like the DCU version of Cyborg, but hate the DCnU version (or visa versa), just appreciate the earlier version and keep your comments about the latter to yourself.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He's cool and he's awesome!

The most popular black character in DC Comics! Static!

Let's discuss and appreciate Static!
    Last edited by RLAAMJR.; 09-03-2014 at 10:51 AM.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Really wish DC would use him again.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Really wish DC would use him again.
    Me too. I want him to join the Justice League and be one of the main cast.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    Me too. I want him to join the Justice League and be one of the main cast.
    As much as i think that would be cool he is too young in my book. I do feel he should get his own book again (without the backdoor politics with the writers and what not). If not then a team up book (Static and Blue Beetle would be AWESOME), AT THE VERY LEAST put him on the teen titans as a permanent figure or make him start his own group
    Milestone 2.0 is happening and i am so excited. Looks like i know where my money is going.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    As much as i think that would be cool he is too young in my book. I do feel he should get his own book again (without the backdoor politics with the writers and what not). If not then a team up book (Static and Blue Beetle would be AWESOME), AT THE VERY LEAST put him on the teen titans as a permanent figure or make him start his own group
    The X-men has a t least a young member in the team. Statiuc would be the perfect addition.

I want Static to have his own ongoing again and at the same time being a member of JLA.

BANNED

I had "letter of the month" in an issue of Static once, but never received my signed copy. Might have had to do with me being in Germany, might have gotten lost in the mail.

When I mentioned that on Dwayne McDuffie's yahoo mailing group years later, he asked for my address and sent me an autographed copy of the Static trade paperback. That is the kind of guy Dwayne was.

Very jealous. I have every issue that static has appeared in the new 52. So much for using him in the Teen titans occasionally. Only showed up twice, once in the beginning, and in issue 6
    Milestone 2.0 is happening and i am so excited. Looks like i know where my money is going.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

I tend to hate teen characters, but I love Static. Probably because his first series was so good.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    I had "letter of the month" in an issue of Static once, but never received my signed copy. Might have had to do with me being in Germany, might have gotten lost in the mail.

When I mentioned that on Dwayne McDuffie's yahoo mailing group years later, he asked for my address and sent me an autographed copy of the Static trade paperback. That is the kind of guy Dwayne was.
    wow! That's awesome. I like Dwayne a lot too.

Static is the hero that got me INTO heroes, i started with his show and slowly started reading his older issues. I didnt read much else of milestone besides the static stuff. I also know that Dwayne did alot of work on the DCAU which alot of those shoes i loved as well as some of the animated movies.

He just won the game FYI.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Air Wave View Post
    He just won the game FYI.
    Indeed. Congratz to Static and to all his fans!

DC is totally gonna give him a book now.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    Static is the hero that got me INTO heroes, i started with his show and slowly started reading his older issues. I didnt read much else of milestone besides the static stuff. I also know that Dwayne did alot of work on the DCAU which alot of those shoes i loved as well as some of the animated movies.
    I'd recommend checking out the rest of the Milestone books. As good as Static was, it was kinda middle-tier compared to titles like Xombi, Blood Syndicate, and Icon. And that speaks to the overall quality of the Milestone line as Static was a great book.

We can hope. Seriously though The pros and cons for his recent series

Pros:
    New environment: This is obviously a new way to introduce the character. New big place for him to be so new enemies to face
    New equipment: They showed he got new equipment such as his flying disk that can break apart, a collapsable staff, the suit (although i think it looked hideous) Allowed for communication with hardware
    Newish powers: Although his powers didnt change much when his arm was shot/cut off, it came back together showing/IMPLYING that static in a way has some very good control/understanding (even if it is subconcious since he didnt know why it happened after) of molecules, electrons, and what not which i assume would work with his powers. This is sorta shown in teen titans since red robin went to static knowing he knows about molecules.
    New Job: The fact that he had a job at S.T.A.R. labs is perfect for any hero since they make new equipment and are usually involved in alot of things.

CONS:
    Location: Despite this being a pro it is also a con because it takes static away from the villians he faced. That would be like taking the joker away from batman or sinestro away from hal jordan.
    Suit: This may be a personal gripe but i think this was a bad move, it looked bad and half the other suits in the back of the Trade paper back looked so much cooler.
    Art: I personally feel the art was a big push away. The art from the teen titans would have worked but this art was just ugly
    Writer dispute: Clearly this is a bad thing. I feel they should have gone with Rozum who KNEW dwayne, read all the comics and watched the tv shows, someone who knew the character almost inside and out.
    The Story: I feel that a lot of the things could have had potential but the stupidest thing i think was the Sister clones. OMG SO DUMB. NOT REALLY EXPLAINED OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT

There are a bunch of other cons but personally i feel this book had elements to be great but it wasnt utilized properly which ultimately ended up hurting and damaging a truly awesome character. If his show is any indication of how he can do (granted this was 10 years ago) then he can have his own solo. His show has as many seasons as the justice league cartoon (both JL and JLU i believe)