Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Slade View Post
    How would we feel if geoff johns took static and made a new book?
    Someone made a joke earlier about johns making a "war of the bang babys" or whatever but i would actually really like to see that. I think Johns (with rozums guiding hand with the character) could do AMAZING
    Milestone 2.0 is happening and i am so excited. Looks like i know where my money is going.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    Someone made a joke earlier about johns making a "war of the bang babys" or whatever but i would actually really like to see that. I think Johns (with rozums guiding hand with the character) could do AMAZING
    I am worried that Static's past would gain tons of tragedy added to his family history under Johns. He'd become all grim and dark.

BANNED

I still remember when the original Milestone line went away.

This was a couple of months before I went on the Internet and I had no warning. So for a while, I just figured the books had gotten harder to find in Germany. I remember going to the UK for a concert event and looking up half a dozen comic book stores in London to find Static, Icon and Hardware. It had been hard enough doing without Blood Syndicate ... But to have it all go away without fanfare was really depressing. Those were my favorite comic books at the time.

I would LOVE to know what the official deal is with DC and the Milestone properties. In an era where comic book companies are scrambling to find marketable minority superheroes DC has totally shelved Static one of the most popular black superheroes of all time. They have a marketable character who may not be able to sustain his own book (very few characters without Bat, Super, X, or Lantern in their title can) but still has a large following and would work well in a team book but yet they refuse to use him. There has to be some legal issue with Milestone that they refuse to talk about. There's really no other explaination.
    Instead of changing the ethnicities of existing characters how about using the already great characters you have.

BANNED

So I guess everybody agrees that Static is the most popular black character in DC comics since nobody commented about it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    I still remember when the original Milestone line went away.

This was a couple of months before I went on the Internet and I had no warning. So for a while, I just figured the books had gotten harder to find in Germany. I remember going to the UK for a concert event and looking up half a dozen comic book stores in London to find Static, Icon and Hardware. It had been hard enough doing without Blood Syndicate ... But to have it all go away without fanfare was really depressing. Those were my favorite comic books at the time.
    The original plan or plans was to have all those books end. Static actually ended 2 issues earlier and part of that cliffhanger was used to make the Static Shock episode Jimmy. Milestone books were like the Vertigo books-with a beginning, middle and end.

Also at the time MARVEL and Milestone were in talks of moving Static and friends over there. However Marvel's bankruptcy issues axed that.

Also there were talks of toys WAY back in 1994 and sketches of them including Kobalt were sold on Ebay.

An Icon prototype figure actually did make it to tv on a Disney (now Disney/Marvel) network ABC. AN unsold pilot about a black kid thinking he was going to die and pretty showed him trying to get the Icon figure back from either a dog or bully.

The Last Days of Earnest Green-I think that was the name-I have to dig around my old tv guide clippings. It also aired with what I would call the black version of Touched By An Angel/Beetlejuice/Teen Angel that starred a pre Martin-Gina Campbell and post Cosby Show Desmond Richmond.

So I guess everybody agrees that Static is the most popular black character in DC comics since nobody commented about it.
    He might not be number 1 but you have a character that can be your Ms Marvel and that bridge to get new readers.

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    No disrespect to Static, but that position is easily John Stewart's.

Astonishing Member

well on the one hand, you'd get increased sales (through both johns' own following, pre-exisiting fans, people brought in etc), increased spotlight in the dcu, team-ups, CN and CW getting off their asses on the adaptation front etc

on the other hand; more grimderp, more dismemberment, more angst. constant crisis' and crossovers; hollowed out characterization (even hal and barry fans have noted that problem) and of course, the possibility that the book would become more of a showcase for whichever of static's villains catches the attention of johns' "shiny shiny" habit

I dunno, as much as i love static i think the most popular black character is either Cyborg or John Stewert
    Milestone 2.0 is happening and i am so excited. Looks like i know where my money is going.

Astonishing Member

I dunno, as much as i love static i think the most popular black character is either Cyborg or John Stewert
    cyborg may be more known, but that doesn't necessarily translate to popularity (eg, everyone knows superman, but everyone prefers batman)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RLAAMJR. View Post
    I think Static is more known as Static Shock than just Static
    That's because more people watch TV than read comics.

And the only reason they added "Shock" to the title is because it would have looked weird in TV Guide to have "5:00 pm to 5:30 pm: Static."
    U r both ryt...but if "Static" AND "Static Shock" can BOTH b his title/s. We/SZ hv nvr undrstud y many kp getting their nikers(hehehe) in a twist ovr dat.

QUESTION 4 D THRD:

If Static did get anothr anim8d series, wat title/name wud u gv it?

U mean lyk hw Geoff startd Vibe's solo & den quickly dumpd & 4got abt d xcter?

Wasnt Vibe supposed 2 b in JL United?

We/SZ wudnt mind Geoff doing a Static solo but he has 2 b involved 4 d long-haul & actively support d xcter/Static shwing up in othr titles & mk him/Static b part of d team-buk @ d same tym as Static's solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    So many missed opportunities. At least give some digital releases, geez.

Of the three costumes, I like the second one the best. First is too yellow and the third looks better on that cosplay than it did in the comic.
    Hehehe...true.

But perhps it was b4 of d bad art.

Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    Cool a Static Thread!

Always loved the character and he was the only book that I picked up from the new 52. But it was terrible and I couldn't stomach it for very long. So I dropped DC altogether.

I really wish DC would sell the rights to another company.
    DC does nt own Static or any of d Milestone properties but its Milestone runners/owners(esp Davis) r soooo stuck-up on DC instead othr trying their properties with othr publishrs.

They clearly don't want him and Static deserves better.
    ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hunter_peterson View Post
    So, it sucks that there isn't a Static book. But something I think could actually fill the void AND make it simple enough for DC to be comfortable using would be to reboot the character as part of the Earth One franchise.
    Gd idea! Cosignd!

He would be kept self-contained, people would get their Static fix, job done.
    D buk myt suffer 2 kp sales numbrs if d buk is 2 self-containd, Static fans also want 2 c Static interacting with several DC xcters as much as sum DC fans also want 2 c their DC xcters interacting with Static.

That or Milestone could leave DC...
    Posters hv bn bangin' dat drum 4 ages & Milestone fellas dont gv-a-damn.

but that won't happen any time soon...
    Seems lyk it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    cyborg may be more known, but that doesn't necessarily translate to popularity (eg, everyone knows superman, but everyone prefers batman)
    U r very wrng abt "evry1".

BANNED

I am worried that Static's past would gain tons of tragedy added to his family history under Johns. He'd become all grim and dark.
    We/SZ wudnt mind grim-n-dark just as long as Static still gets 2 b funny, smart & kickin serious @$$.

OH...& it shud b used as an opportunity 2 intro & expand d Milestone xcters.

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    No disrespect to Static, but that position is easily John Stewart's.
    Well dats true...if nt 4 d JL/JLU toons den d GL movie really helpd prop-up Stewart during d prodctn of d movie & whn it faild horribly many were saying it wud hv bn betta if John playd GL & all d publicity dat came with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I would LOVE to know what the official deal is with DC and the Milestone properties. In an era where comic book companies are scrambling to find marketable minority superheroes DC has totally shelved Static one of the most popular black superheroes of all time. They have a marketable character who may not be able to sustain his own book (very few characters without Bat, Super, X, or Lantern in their title can) but still has a large following and would work well in a team book but yet they refuse to use him. There has to be some legal issue with Milestone that they refuse to talk about. There's really no other explaination.

Instead of changing the ethnicities of existing characters how about using the already great characters you have.
    Very well said, agrd & cosignd!

BANNED

Hmmmm.... You have a good point.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    well on the one hand, you'd get increased sales (through both johns' own following, pre-exisiting fans, people brought in etc), increased spotlight in the dcu, team-ups, CN and CW getting off their asses on the adaptation front etc

on the other hand; more grimderp, more dismemberment, more angst. constant crisis' and crossovers; hollowed out characterization (even hal and barry fans have noted that problem) and of course, the possibility that the book would become more of a showcase for whichever of static's villains catches the attention of johns' "shiny shiny" habit

http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowand...s-in-the-comic

Or Static could just become wallpaper like John Stewart and Jakeem Thunder.