Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Hahaha, nice. Looks like Taylor's crossed the line with his whole pacifistic hero bullshit there.

Gotta see some of this shit, it sounds hilarious.
    Maybe they should just make Teen Jon a Harley Quinn like character that's rarely taken seriously? He doesn't really work as a hero since he doesn't actually accomplish anything superheroic.

Well, now we know Jon's future:

spoilers:
    It has just been pretty much confirmed in a DC Blog interview with Tom Taylor: "The final page of Adventures of Superman: Jon Kent #6 is him showing up in Metropolis and hearing growls and cries and roaring and it’s because he’s landing right in the middle of “Beast World.” So, he has a cool part to play in that. He’s also going to be appearing in Nightwing. He’s going to be part of the Nightwing/Beast World crossover in a story that I absolutely love. It’s going to be really fun."

And in another interview in CBR about the Teen Titans: "One of the goals for Titans is to bring the protagonists, Nightwing, Raven, Jon Kent, Beast Boy, etc., a bit closer to being protectors of the world."
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Man View Post
    Well, now we know Jon's future:

spoilers:
    It has just been pretty much confirmed in a DC Blog interview with Tom Taylor: "The final page of Adventures of Superman: Jon Kent #6 is him showing up in Metropolis and hearing growls and cries and roaring and it’s because he’s landing right in the middle of “Beast World.” So, he has a cool part to play in that. He’s also going to be appearing in Nightwing. He’s going to be part of the Nightwing/Beast World crossover in a story that I absolutely love. It’s going to be really fun."

And in another interview in CBR about the Teen Titans: "One of the goals for Titans is to bring the protagonists, Nightwing, Raven, Jon Kent, Beast Boy, etc., a bit closer to being protectors of the world."
    end of spoilers
    Makes sense. After 2 failed series in under 5 years...they don't want to take the chance of giving him another ongoing anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    Makes sense. After 2 failed series in under 5 years...they don't want to take the chance of giving him another ongoing anytime soon.
    Failed based on what? Because no sales charts are published right now, aren't they? So we don't know the real sales numbers (nor digital sales).

Failed based on what? Because no sales charts are published right now, aren't they? So we don't know the real sales numbers (nor digital sales).
    They wouldn't have cancelled his book twice...especially after the massive amount of pushing they were doing for the character...if he was meeting whatever their internal sales metrics were. So whatever he was selling...it wasn't satisfactory.
    Last edited by Knightsilver; 08-02-2023 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightsilver View Post
    They wouldn't have cancelled his book twice if he was meeting whatever their internal sales metrics were. So whatever he was selling...it wasn't satisfactory.
    They havent. For example, Adventures of Superman: Jon Kent was announced as a 6-issue series from the very beginning.

They havent. For example, Adventures of Superman: Jon Kent was announced as a 6-issue series from the very beginning.
    Actually I was referring to the Legion series by Bendis. That was his first ongoing. After that there was SoKE.
    Last edited by Knightsilver; 08-02-2023 at 12:06 PM.

Wasn't the Legion series by Bendis a Legion series? I mean, you cannot blame the character of Jon Kent if it was cancelled because it was a series with a large group of heroes (with Jon among them). Wouldn't it be the same as saying that Teen Titans Academy was cancelled because of Red X? Or Suicide Squad because of Peacemaker? More if you keep in mind than Jon Kent was created in 2015 while the Legion has had at least 8 (canceled?) volumes since they were created in 1958.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I feel a bigger indictment is that they didn't immediately announce a new Jon series, like they did when Adventure was announced after SoK was announced to be cancelled.

Beast World is a Titans event, its not a Superman thing so if Jon's next appearance is in that then that to only join Nightwing or Titans, then that means they don't have another independent book lined up for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I feel a bigger indictment is that they didn't immediately announce a new Jon series, like they did when Adventure was announced after SoK was announced to be cancelled.

Beast World is a Titans event, its not a Superman thing so if Jon's next appearance is in that then that to only join Nightwing or Titans, then that means they don't have another independent book lined up for him.
    Yep. He went from being a character that they were willing to push his famous father out of the way for...to likely being a supporting character in Titans books.

So he will be in all the Super books,Titans,beast world,and Nightwing,seems more like his face will be everywhere,no matter how much vanilla savior he is.

Now can you imagine DC pushing Conner as much as Jon?
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Wasn't the Legion series by Bendis a Legion series? I mean, you cannot blame the character of Jon Kent if it was cancelled because it was a series with a large group of heroes (with Jon among them). Wouldn't it be the same as saying that Teen Titans Academy was cancelled because of Red X? Or Suicide Squad because of Peacemaker? More if you keep in mind than Jon Kent was created in 2015 while the Legion has had at least 8 (canceled?) volumes since they were created in 1958.
    The Legion series by Bendis wasn't a Legion series, was a Bendis series. And it was an excuse to have Jon Kent doing something. But I don't put the blame on Jon Kent on that.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Twitter and reddit are dragging this one though I do feel vindicated as I knew once Taylor started talking about Injustice in what was initially pitched as a story about Jon confronting Ultraman would be underwhelming, I saw someone put it best that Taylor more invested in Jon as a symbol of what he feel's Superman should be and less so as an actual character, what should've been a story about Jon's own past trauma see's him instead become a mouthpiece so Taylor can address criticisms of his older much more popular work.

Weirdly enough I think the idea of an arc where Jon ask's why his dad doesn't do more and set's out to be more active only to ultimately fail and comes to realisation his dad's more restrained methodology is right could work but the problem is Taylor doesn't allow Jon the agency to have flaws or make genuine mistakes, he has no growth so the conclusion comes off that if you try do more to better the world you risk becoming a dictator like Injustice Superman so it's better to not rock the boat and do nothing which is where I feel a lot of the criticisms coming from as that's a pretty wild swing to make.

I'm just grateful Conner current mini didn't turn out like this as while I was initially worried Porter was more invested in trying to push his OC's the Cosmoteers it's clear they're designed to be narrative foils to help reflect and expand on Conner's own character and story.
    Last edited by walk; 08-02-2023 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post
    Twitter and reddit are dragging this one though I do feel vindicated as I knew once Taylor started talking about Injustice in what was initially pitched as a story about Jon confronting Ultraman would be underwhelming, I saw someone put it best that Taylor more invested in Jon as a symbol of what he feel's Superman should be and less so as an actual character, what should've been a story about Jon's own past trauma see's him instead become a mouthpiece so Taylor can address criticisms of his older much more popular work.

Weirdly enough I think the idea of an arc where Jon ask's why his dad doesn't do more and set's out to be more active only to ultimately fail and comes to realisation his dad's more restrained methodology is right could work but the problem is Taylor doesn't allow Jon the agency to have flaws or make genuine mistakes, he has no growth so the conclusion comes off that if you try do more to better the world you risk becoming a dictator like Injustice Superman so it's better to not rock the boat and do nothing which is where I feel a lot of the criticisms coming from as that's a pretty wild swing to make.

I'm just grateful Conner current mini didn't turn out like this as while I was initially worried Porter was more invested in trying to push his OC's the Cosmoteers it's clear they're designed to be narrative foils to help reflect and expand on Conner's own character and story.
    Honestly I'm taking this whole story as a big L for Jon because we know he made virtually no impact until the "adults" from the Prime universe showed up and cleaned up the mess themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by walk View Post

If Jon's story was allowed to go to it's logical direction...Jon would end up causing massive deaths due to his inaction...and wind up facing condemnation worldwide for his abdication of his responsibilities. He would then have to either step up as a worthy bearer of the shield...or expose himself to gold kryptonite and live his life as a social worker before he creates another catastrophe. But as you pointed out...Taylor won't allow Jon any flaws...so we're supposed to view him as right...even though he's objectively failed in his approach as a "superhero".