Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    They should instead keep further aging up Jon to differentiate him from Clark and Conner. Old man Jon.
    You know what? At this point, go for it. This character is so fucked, there's not really a lot of ways you can make him even more of a mess.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Ahhh, I forgot about those kids. I don't know much about them, are they twins? Just asking because I get revamped Wonder Twins vibes from them

I do think you're right though that since this is just a mini, Taylor's on the way out, which I also consider a good thing.
    I don't think this will be the end of him with Jon, unless he leaving DC soon after his contract ends.

I'll bet Taylor will be one of the writer rotating with PKJ in Action Comics with his stories being focus on Jon, he has be hinting the he and PKJ have been working on future plans for AC.

I'll also bet after this mini he'll be writing Jon in a team book, unless it only a mini because after Waid's event things in the DC universe changes again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Apparently so, dude go read PKJ’s Action run lol, I know you refused to read it because of changes Rebirth/Bendis made but
    1. It’s really good and the twins are from there
    2. The changes don’t matter because Clark is out in space on Warworld for the majority of it, so him having a secret identity or being married or being a dad aren’t things that would affect the story anyway
    You know at this point, being a little positive now about the future, this is probably a story that I could now pick up and enjoy it much much more on its own merits. That's part of the reason I avoided it, I knew I wouldn't be judging it fairly on its own because of my other hang ups.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-08-2022 at 12:56 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

All things considered, I'm surprised this is not a Revolutionaries book. Granted they might appear but with how much Taylor has been using them, I was seriously expecting Taylor to eventually announce a "Superman and the Revs" book or whatever.

Though hey Val-Zod's back, the benefit of having the Michael B. Jordan making a movie for you. Wonder if this means the New 52 Earth-2 is coming back or if Val is gonna get a version of himself in the JSA Earth-2.

I personally have wondered what the hell they were going to do with him power wise because of all the things they have printed stating or showing how powerful he is,going blue is a good path to take for a answer to all that .

Val zod is a great character ,and he is a pacifist-Ish like Jon is ,so they both can not want to ,but punch each other lol.

Kon should be atrlast a few years older than Jon,told thst he has been doing the hero thing much longer and is a young veteran.plis he should have full kryptonian powers plus the TTK/TK ,like his evil older titans of tomorrow counterpart ,now thst Jon is going ultra now and nobody will be in his league anymore
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

This quote from Tom Taylor in the press release has me curious: "what we're going to reveal at the end of issue #2 will have everyone talking and issue #3 launches us in a direction that no one will see coming!"

I'm guessing there is more that happened during Jon's time on the volcano than we know, maybe they are going to bring back kid Jon in a way while keeping the young adult one around.

Incredible Member

Honestly, this whole deal with Blue Jon reminds me of Superlad's old theory that all the blue energy from the Genesis fragment or the Necropolis in Action Comics was going to be related to Jon somehow. This appears to be radically different from Superlad's theories, but I find it an interesting coincidence.

Anyway, mostly I'm intrigued by the idea of the Supermen from Earths 1, 2 and 3 are going to be featured in a single mini, and by Taylor's assertion that Ultraman is "Jon's nemesis". I've thought for a good long while that actually dealing with that volcano imprisonment was a more interesting path than just ignoring everything and writing a standard Superman book but with Jon instead of Clark, and it feels weird to be vindicated like this... even if with Taylor still at the helm, I doubt I'll like it much.

I'm still not sure how I feel about Jon's ongoing getting demoted to a mini. On the one hand, I dropped Son of Kal-El, so it's not as if I was invested in Jon's career as Superman... but on the other hand, this was the "next step" in the Superman story, and it appears to for all intents and purposes have failed. On a purely abstract level, detached of the actual quality of the Jon book... that's disappointing.

Interview with Taylor about the upcoming mini

He claims DC is happy with the sales of the SOKE HC so who knows what's coming I guess.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I see this as either a steppingstone to a new series or more likely a stealth ongoing. Similar to how DC has increased Swamp Thing and Poison Ivy lately. It may be a way to gage interest in the electric look, which I really like for Jon as a way to differentiate him from his dad, Kara and most importantly Connor. Although I really want to see him and Connor working together.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

He claims DC is happy with the sales of the SOKE HC so who knows what's coming I guess.
    And he also says the book isn't dwelling too much on the past, so I guess any theories of kid Jon should be thrown out of the window again..I really wonder what he keeps hyping up about issue 2's ending and issue 3.

I geniunely think this could be a good change of pace for Taylor and Jon though, a tightly contained 6 issue arc dealing with a multiverse threat should be right in his wheelbox given all the alternate DC's earths he plays with like dceased and injustice.

It could be just Taylor doing PR but I'm inclined to believe him. His monthly sales in the inaccurate ICV2 rankings were seemingly not bad (at least compared to other DC characters) and the trades were also seemingly selling well on Amazon when I checked.

If I had to guess, it's ending because DC knows Clark will sell better and thinks two Superman ongoings at the same time would cannibalize each other. Williamson has said he already knew he was the Superman writer after Dark Crisis back when he was writing Batman #118 (so around mid-2021) so that isn't a new decision.

DC also probably wants Taylor to relaunch one of their missing team books like Justice League or Titans.

Mighty Member

I don't think Jon's Superman was selling enough to be the main Superman book but it was selling well, however I feel like DC wants to change the direction with their legacy characters both Jon's and Damian's books were canceled even though sales were okay by DC standards and doing a lot better than some books that are continuing.

At the same time Waid is writing both characters if he is in charge of the future direction of DC, he probably has plans for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Reddead View Post
    It could be just Taylor doing PR but I'm inclined to believe him. His monthly sales in the inaccurate ICV2 rankings were seemingly not bad (at least compared to other DC characters) and the trades were also seemingly selling well on Amazon when I checked.

If I had to guess, it's ending because DC knows Clark will sell better and thinks two Superman ongoings at the same time would cannibalize each other. Williamson has said he already knew he was the Superman writer after Dark Crisis back when he was writing Batman #118 (so around mid-2021) so that isn't a new decision.

DC also probably wants Taylor to relaunch one of their missing team books like Justice League or Titans.
    If he’s leaving to go do Titans then so much the better. He’d be a good fit for that team and I’d rather have him over there then here. My ideal is that this mini clears the slate for someone new to take Jon over and actually deliver on Jon’s potential.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZuLuLu View Post
    I don't think Jon's Superman was selling enough to be the main Superman book but it was selling well, however I feel like DC wants to change the direction with their legacy characters both Jon's and Damian's books were canceled even though sales were okay by DC standards and doing a lot better than some books that are continuing.

At the same time Waid is writing both characters if he is in charge of the future direction of DC, he probably has plans for them.
    It is interesting that Waid is the one giving Jon a big change in status quo via Lazarus Planet, and he is using both Damian and Jon in that. Perhaps he does have plans for the two of them.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Unless jon punches jor el or his parents for being shitty and getting him stuck on a volcano..it ain't really gonna have any "closure"...
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Unless jon punches jor el or his parents for being shitty and getting him stuck on a volcano..it ain't really gonna have any "closure"...
    Pretty much. They've still yet to touch on how absolutely idiotic both Clark and Lois were in that scenario. Lois especially.

Seriously, the last time they saw Jor-El, he was definitely not a good guy. Why would they trust him alone with their kid? Because the he cried about the big kids not wanting to play with him? (And...again...The Titans were very clear about it not being through any fault of his own)

All they had to do was be parents and tell their child no, and they would have saved themselves a lot of grief lol