Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 452
  1. #31
    Astonishing Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    4,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Unless jon punches jor el or his parents for being shitty and getting him stuck on a volcano..it ain't really gonna have any "closure"...
    Well he could yell at his mom.

    In defense of his father, Clark was completely against the whole thing and only resigned on it because his wife and son brow-beat him on it. Plus he trusted his wife to watch their son only for her to abandon him after only a day.

    Lois was an abysmal mom there. Absolutely awful.

  2. #32
    Just Call Me Gar garazza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It is interesting that Waid is the one giving Jon a big change in status quo via Lazarus Planet, and he is using both Damian and Jon in that. Perhaps he does have plans for the two of them.
    Were Waid and Tomasi ever contemporaries? I know he was an editor before he transitioned to writing and I don't know the years Waid was active at DC before he became persona non grata under Didio. I've seen many people on this forum claim that Waid is an old fogy that only cares about a more "classical" Superman (however that is defined), but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that he saw the true value in Superman Rebirth that readers saw but editorial didn't. I can imagine he approved of Tomasi's depiction of Superman in Rebirth as Clark was more in line with how Waid would see Superman as but also saw how giving him a son didn't take away from what Waid likes about Superman.

  3. #33
    Ultimate Member Robotman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    11,950

    Default

    Never thought Iíd be happy to see Superman Blue return but here we are. Itís a good direction for Jon as he really just became a pale imitation of Clark.

    So happy to see Val Zod back! Seems like heíll still be the Superman of Earth 2. An amalgam Earth 2?

    I would love to see Taylor launch a Titans book. Iím sure he would bring Jon along. Heís already established a friendship between him and Nightwing.

  4. #34
    Astonishing Member Blue22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    2,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Well he could yell at his mom.

    In defense of his father, Clark was completely against the whole thing and only resigned on it because his wife and son brow-beat him on it. Plus he trusted his wife to watch their son only for her to abandon him after only a day.

    Lois was an abysmal mom there. Absolutely awful.
    I'm not cutting Clark any slack on this one. Strong as he is and yet he was too weak to tell his kid no. What Lois did was fucked up, but he's still the one who ultimately decided to let him go. And then proceeded to not have any problem with what Lois did.

    I've said it before and I'll say it again, it would have been better if Jon had just left without his parents' permission.

  5. #35
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    9,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    Were Waid and Tomasi ever contemporaries? I know he was an editor before he transitioned to writing and I don't know the years Waid was active at DC before he became persona non grata under Didio. I've seen many people on this forum claim that Waid is an old fogy that only cares about a more "classical" Superman (however that is defined), but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that he saw the true value in Superman Rebirth that readers saw but editorial didn't. I can imagine he approved of Tomasi's depiction of Superman in Rebirth as Clark was more in line with how Waid would see Superman as but also saw how giving him a son didn't take away from what Waid likes about Superman.
    Waid's superman is silver and bronze age guy,less donner.. That's what he means by classic.Tomasi's superman did have silverage adventure vibes.But,it was more nostalgia,farmlands..etc.I don't think waid is into that stuff.
    "Peopleís Dreams... Have No Ends"

  6. #36
    The Superior One Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Pretty much. They've still yet to touch on how absolutely idiotic both Clark and Lois were in that scenario. Lois especially....
    I blame Bendis for this horrible OOC story more than anyone else. Taylor did a far better job with Jon & co. than Bendis ever did. Bendis caused a huge mess and contributed nothing of value to the Superman Mythos aside from aging up Jon and it was Taylor who ran with that aspect. I'm elated that Bendis is history in DC.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  7. #37
    Astonishing Member Blue22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    2,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I blame Bendis for this horrible OOC story more than anyone else. Taylor did a far better job with Jon & co. than Bendis ever did. Bendis caused a huge mess and contributed nothing of value to the Superman Mythos aside from aging up Jon and it was Taylor who ran with that aspect. I'm elated that Bendis is history in DC.
    I honestly kinda struggle to figure out whose Jon I hate more. Though...despite me liking his other work, I might be leaning more towards Taylor. But that's just me always preferring bad over boring.

  8. #38
    Invincible Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    25,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garazza View Post
    Were Waid and Tomasi ever contemporaries? I know he was an editor before he transitioned to writing and I don't know the years Waid was active at DC before he became persona non grata under Didio. I've seen many people on this forum claim that Waid is an old fogy that only cares about a more "classical" Superman (however that is defined), but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that he saw the true value in Superman Rebirth that readers saw but editorial didn't. I can imagine he approved of Tomasi's depiction of Superman in Rebirth as Clark was more in line with how Waid would see Superman as but also saw how giving him a son didn't take away from what Waid likes about Superman.
    Lol no. Waid wanted to break Clark and Lois up marriage wise, he prefers the Kents dead, he and Jurgens actually had bad blood between each other in the past (which makes it all the funnier they’re working together on something coming up). In Waid’s ideal take, Jon does not exist because Clark and Lois would never get married. The Rebirth status quo would be anathema to him.

    “Classic” for Waid means Clark is single, has the secret identity, Ma and Pa are dead, and Lois is in a love triangle with Clark and Superman. Now I don’t know exactly how Waid feels about Jon, that he’s using him in Lazarus Planet may mean he’s more open to the idea of Jon, but if you’re looking for Waid to send Clark and Lois back to the farm for wholesome adventures with kid Jon, look elsewhere.
    Last edited by Vordan; 10-08-2022 at 09:34 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just arenít enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

  9. #39
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    7,986

    Default

    Groaned a bit when I saw Val, but I can't fault Taylor for wanting to bring back his own alternate Superman. Hopefully he's not going to stay on the main Earth. We just got Kenan back and I don't know that we can sustain four Supermen.

    But I'll be glad to be rid of Taylor if that's the plan when this is over.
    May we never forget:

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

  10. #40
    The Superior One Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I honestly kinda struggle to figure out whose Jon I hate more. Though...despite me liking his other work, I might be leaning more towards Taylor. But that's just me always preferring bad over boring.
    Well, at least we agree that Bendis' work was boring. I also think it was awful too but to each their own.

    And I do agree that Taylor's Jon became not so good later in the run. Taylor seemed obsessed with making Jay the star and Jay is super bland. Literally, everyone else in the story (including his friends/fellow adventurers) are far more interesting and compelling characters than Jay. I swear Jay is the modern Classic Gwen Stacy of love interests.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  11. #41
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    114,075

    Default

    Huh, going from an ongoing to a six-issue mini usually spells disaster, but it doesn't seem like they're treating it as a demotion...but maybe they know they need Clark more than Jon.

    I think having Superman Blue powers will definitely help distinguish Jon from his dad.

    Seeing Val-Zod will be nice, although I think we're at peak Superfamily on Earth-1.

    Jon vs. Ultraman sounds like a fight that needs to happen, but I don't trust Taylor to do it justice.

  12. #42
    Astonishing Member Blue22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    2,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Well, at least we agree that Bendis' work was boring. I also think it was awful too but to each their own.

    And I do agree that Taylor's Jon became not so good later in the run. Taylor seemed obsessed with making Jay the star and Jay is super bland. Literally, everyone else in the story (including his friends/fellow adventurers) are far more interesting and compelling characters than Jay. I swear Jay is the modern Classic Gwen Stacy of love interests.
    Nah. I was calling Taylor the boring one. Bendis is bad. Taylor is boring. lol

    And yeah, most of Jon's series seems like it was spent less on Jon and more on hyping up his OCs. Especially the leftovers from his Suicide Squad run.

  13. #43
    The Superior One Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    11,758

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Nah. I was calling Taylor the boring one. Bendis is bad. Taylor is boring. lol
    Ah, so we do I agree (at least on that lol).

    And, yeah, I hate Jay. He is a classic Gary Stu type a one-dimensional boring goody-goody nearly "perfect" in every way. They need to get Jon away from him ASAP, IMHO....

    Edit - Give Jon is own Mary Jane (male or female) or Black Cat (male or female) and push Jay aside now lol.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  14. #44
    Astonishing Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    4,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Huh, going from an ongoing to a six-issue mini usually spells disaster, but it doesn't seem like they're treating it as a demotion...but maybe they know they need Clark more than Jon.

    I think having Superman Blue powers will definitely help distinguish Jon from his dad.

    Seeing Val-Zod will be nice, although I think we're at peak Superfamily on Earth-1.

    Jon vs. Ultraman sounds like a fight that needs to happen, but I don't trust Taylor to do it justice.
    Considering Taylor's been writing Jon as a guy who solves problems without violence, I'm kinda curious how Ultraman is gonna be dealt with.

    Taylor's Son of Kal run was written so that Jon was never in any sort of situation that necessitated violence........ because absolutely no one in that book was a threat to him.

    Meanwhile Ultraman can strangle Jon if he wants.

  15. #45
    Invincible Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    25,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Groaned a bit when I saw Val, but I can't fault Taylor for wanting to bring back his own alternate Superman. Hopefully he's not going to stay on the main Earth. We just got Kenan back and I don't know that we can sustain four Supermen.

    But I'll be glad to be rid of Taylor if that's the plan when this is over.
    We can’t. I’m hoping DC isn’t dumb enough to try to add yet another Superfamily member, even though I’m sure Taylor wants to. We already have Jon and Kenan as “Superman”, Conner is still “Superboy” (dumb as that is), there’s no room for Val. The only possible expansion to the Superfamily I’d support is Kara becoming Superwoman and a Latina becoming Supergirl (really Othul and Osul should be “brown” since that would let them fill that niche). But given this is a 6 issue mini with a third rate book, I don’t think the plan is to try to add Val to the main family, just Taylor spotlighting his OC while he can.
    For when my rants on the forums just arenít enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •