Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Default Leonide the Vampyr

Written by Mike Mignola
    Art by Rachele Aragno

With the slightly cutesy art I didn't really know what to expect, thinking that perhaps this book would have more of a young adult fantasy feel than Mignola's usual fare...but that just goes to show that one should never judge a book by its cover as this was Mignola in all his glory! Playing both off of Dracula with a crashed ship delivering a ghoulish guest to a small village and also the Monkey's Paw with the wishes that Leonide grants come with a mortal cost. It's a dark story with a beguiling sweet exterior, much like it's protagonist Leonide, as although she looks like a sweet young girl she is a predator of the first degree. This book was dripping with that pulpy, gothic mood that originally drew me to Mignola's writing and after being disappointed by a lot of his output of late I was glad to have a Mignola book that was a clear home run.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I didn't enjoy it as much as you, but I am intrigued enough to see where it is going.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I didn't enjoy it as much as you, but I am intrigued enough to see where it is going.
    With the souls coming out as flies and being stored in a casket, and the nature of the town itself it reminded me a lot of Hellboy in Hell
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

It did have that vibe. The figures didn't, but the backgrounds had a very Mignola feel.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

It did have that vibe. The figures didn't, but the backgrounds had a very Mignola feel.
    Leonide was definitely more cartoony, but I think that was intentional as the others weren't nearly in that same style.

Issue 2. I had to read it twice. For some reason I could not follow the story the first time (happens when you read late at night), but on my second read, it was a sweet Xmas story. And the bonus art at the end was a real gift.

Issue 2. I had to read it twice. For some reason I could not follow the story the first time (happens when you read late at night), but on my second read, it was a sweet Xmas story. And the bonus art at the end was a real gift.
    Yeah, it was a nice slightly spooky christmas special.