Page 146 of 161 FirstFirst ... 4696136142143144145146147148149150156 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,190 of 2407

Thread: Fall of X

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Ah crap I was sure it was in sumerian.
    Thanks Grunty for the presentation anyways XD
    Selene was born during the "Hyborian age"(IE fictional pre-history)... and is so old she actually knew Kulan Gath back when Gath was annoying Conan.

No, this is Sumerian.

Which means that presumably Selene knows how to read that actually.

Ultimate Member

I don't usually listen to Ted Talks, but when it's Grunty on Sumeria, babble on.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    No, this is Sumerian.
    Which means that presumably Selene knows how to read that actually.
    Do we know if she can read at all ?

Do we know if she can read at all ?
    Hmm.... I mean, we have reasons to believe she knows at least 3 languages.... other than her native Hyborian language. She's been seen speaking Latin, and one of the Central American languages as well as English. Oh... right.. that's a weird twist to her powers. When she does the psionic vampire thing... she now has that person's memories. Which probably includes their memory of how to read/write. So anyone who knew how to read or write any language that she vampirized she now knows that language.

Astonishing Member

Hmm.... I mean, we have reasons to believe she knows at least 3 languages.... other than her native Hyborian language. She's been seen speaking Latin, and one of the Central American languages as well as English. Oh... right.. that's a weird twist to her powers. When she does the psionic vampire thing... she now has that person's memories. Which probably includes their memory of how to read/write. So anyone who knew how to read or write any language that she vampirized she now knows that language.
    She can likely read and freely translate several dead written and spoken languages but refuses to do so because she enjoys the frustration of academics.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    She can likely read and freely translate several dead written and spoken languages but refuses to do so because she enjoys the frustration of academics.
    That sounds 100% on point. Indeed, she might even keep translations of 'untranslatable' stuff around, just for the giggles. But, of course, all the translations are just terribly deliberately wrong.

Astonishing Member

My headcannon is Apocalypse, possibly the reason several of those languages are dead, has threatened her into silence.

Thanks for that very serious answer.

She's also an emotional vampire, feeding on the frustration of others. (See : What we do in the Shadows)

She's also an emotional vampire, feeding on the frustration of others. (See : What we do in the Shadows)
    Lmao!! It totally fits her especially the latest episode which was hilarious about Collin running for comp controller. Lol.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

BANNED

I hope I am not the only one who is anxiously waiting for next Immortal Issue. It's wild

Also does anyone think Logan is still on the island after fighting Orchis? Immortal X-Men #15 is showing him on cover.
    Last edited by Vishop; 07-30-2023 at 08:10 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    I hope I am not the only one who is anxiously waiting for next Immortal Issue. It's wild

Also does anyone think Logan is still on the island after fighting Orchis? Immortal X-Men #15 is showing him on cover.
    That’s not Logan. That’s one of his previous dead bodies that Orchis captured and transformed into a Wolverine-sentinel. They’ve been doing that for a while now.

Man, I want to like this. But I'm kinda over utant persecution at this point. There are so many ways they could have gone.

Pondering this more, and realized that there's a difference between reading and understanding. One example that came up a lot years ago is from the story of Beowulf. Classic story from Norse mythology. The writing system is easily transliterated, the language is easy to translate in general. But... there's this one word.... "aglęcwif" whose meaning is unclear. different translators have come to different conclusions, and the connotation of it is hard to understand. It's obvious that it's talking about how Grendel's mothers a terrifying fighter, but.... what is the implication? 'cause this story is the only literature anyone can find using the word "aglęca" or the female form "aglęcwif". Yeah the MALE form gets used for Beowulf himself... and... he's the HERO of the story, and it also gets used for Beowulf's most powerful enemy. Why? opinions vary. The only sort of consensus is that it means someone superhumanly powerful as a warrior. IE someone ordinary people should NOT fight.

Some have gone so far as to suggest she might have been one of the valkyries! Yeah the story also calls her a "dis". That's very similar to the word "disir". Yeah.... that's a funny twist... but it makes more sense when you realize.... Beowulf didn't actually fight her to the death. they fought, but he made a deal with her.... why?

Anyways, point is being able to READ a book is not the same as understanding it. But... being able to READ a book... is more than we can say of several ancient texts. So, I guess Selene could just make an English version and let the real scholars go nuts wondering what any of it means.