Page 11 of 161 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Fall of X

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Give us Krakoan Hollywood, but with mutant powers so make it Hollyweird. Shapeshifters and illusionists and teleporters all using their powers in ways CGI could only dream of, and catching the attention of non-Krakoans just by sheer spectacle, interest piqued at all the things mutant powers can do to create movies that look and feel like real life......and then use those movies to tell mutant stories about mutant lives, in ways most humans who don't have mutant friends or families never thought to think about. Use media they share with the rest of the world to humanize mutants and show that being pyrokinetic doesn't make any difference when you're the protagonist of a rom-com desperately longing for love. Reframe mutant tragedies through stories told by mutants about mutants and forcing human audiences to confront what they might have assumed or been told by their own media about those tragedies and whether or not they actually were even all that tragic to begin with.

Make Krakoan 'reality TV' focused around mutant stars whose only power is to bend spoons with their mind but ONLY spoons, its a highly selective version of telekinesis that could make them a punchline....but when they end up winning Krakoan Bachelor even over mutants with alpha level telepathy, it plants a seed in the minds of human viewers....makes them consider the fact that a spoon-bending mutant is barely any different from any of them, has no real advantage thanks to their power, and if there's angles from which that mutant is considered no different from any other member of their mutant society, regardless of power level.....what's the transitive property suggest about how much the average human and even an alpha level mutant might actually be able to relate to each other, once they stop focusing on that mutant's power and JUST their power, at the expense of everything else about that mutant as a person and individual?

Invent mutant sports, skyball aka football for flying mutants, teleporting tag, shapeshifting MMA. Broadcast those around the world and make people think about the fact that 90% of humans can't do the things that professional human athletes they watch on TV can do, but they watch them anyway because being able to do those things themselves has nothing to do with the appeal. Emphasize that even among mutants, when it comes to these new mutant sports, 90% of mutants can't do them either because the teleporting powerset needed for one doesn't make a teleporter anymore capable of playing the sport that requires a flight ability, let alone the telepathic gaming that takes place entirely on the Astral Plane, etc. The average mutant and average human are in the exact same boat when it comes to watching maybe all but one of those particular mutant sports that maybe that mutant is naturally gifted at in ways a human never could be....but then, could be that mutant is 5'2" and is still never gonna be anywhere near the basketball player that ANY human basketball player is.

Etc, etc. Again, SO many possibilities.

3) Show me mutant schools. And not just a school for mutant kids or War College or mutant magic.....show me ALL of that and more. Name-drop half a dozen new mutant universities across Krakoa and Arakko. Talk about Atlantean exchange students attending a Krakoan college to learn new hydrokinetic techniques invented by mutant elementalists and that are compatible with some powersets and magic native to Atlanteans. Have the Quiet Council or its replacement-body discussing new discoveries from grad students in the recently established field of Mutant Circuitry, pioneering technological innovations and exploring all the endless ways mutant powers can be combined in all sorts of arrangements to all sorts of ends. Give me Bishop talking to a couple of promising War Captain candidates and recommending they take a couple classes in combat-telepathy even though they're not telepaths themselves, so they're familiar with the ways telepathy can be used by mutants under their command or as a weapon against them. Have Dani and Xi'an unveil a new breakthrough in telepathic therapy that they've been working with a number of psychics to develop. There's so much more to education than just 'have a school for mutant kids' and its kinda maddening to me, seeing them talk about all the new concepts with mutant technology and circuits and boost fruits and psychic therapy and shared group/uni-minds.....

And then just....stopping at that. Never even mentioning anywhere, the mere possibility....that mutants in general are like, looking into all of that and BUILDING upon it. That they're just like oh hey, totally new things about mutant powers and being a mutant, that in all the decades of X-books have never even been theorized about before, and we're all just....hey that's cool, the end? This isn't awakening any innovative desires or imaginative drive in any mutants beyond that? Everybody's just....content to let a couple new concepts dribble out here and there but there are no mutants on Krakoa who want to take those dribbles and run with them and see what else they can mine out of all that?

Nope. Not buying it. Sounds fake. Unrealistic. Blocked.

So yeah. In conclusion, that's what any kind of 'new Krakoa' really needs, IMO, beyond just a better government than what the Quiet Council currently offers and a better whatever the hell Kurt's whole thing is that's better and more clearly defined than whatever the hell Kurt's whole thing is.

Mutant families having mutant babies with intent, and adopting and raising the mutant babies that are already there, not to mention all the older orphans and runaways that are still kids deserving of personal attention and guidance from adults beyond just "here are some New Mutants, if you have any questions, they can handle it but beyond that its sink or swim."

Mutants making art with their powers and based on their experiences.

And mutants founding and attending not just elementary and high schools, but college level schools that offer curriculums devoted to entirely new fields of study that only up upon deep exploration of various powersets and all that can be accomplished or learned through them, once powers stop being looked at as JUST being about martial applications.

Even just adding and expanding on those three relatively simple things could do so, so much to deepen and diversify Krakoan society from what we've seen of it so far.

(Oh and I'm exhausted after going into all of this and just Not Doing It when it comes to expanding on this other last thought.....but beyond these three things, the other big thing I think Krakoa's still lacking and needs after a shake-up is its own fourth estate. Journalism. We need pesky, intrepid mutant reporters digging into the dirt and getting the deets on all the stuff the Quiet Council and X-Force DON'T think they need to share but that most readers agree they probably really should be sharing. We need Krakoa's version of Jessica Jones kicking down doors and taking names as they investigate hey why DID literally no precog mutants start getting resurrected until just a few months ago and what was all that about and should we be worried about that or the precedent it possibly sets, as well as demanding accountability for whomever theoretically said No More Precogs at the start of Krakoa, when we're all very clear that we object to the words 'No More x' in general? Mutant telepaths and psychometrics and time-travelers and spirit mediums who get asked to look into the disappearance of that very nice Third Eye fellow that used to come by the Green Lagoon and also that Oya girl and whatever happened to Mr. Jeffries hmm? Oh no I've started expanding anyway when I said I'm just Not Doing It quick somebody take my keyboard away before I collapse and maybe die oh wait I can literally just stop
    Bobby your mind works on a whole different level and I get a lot of joy and insight when reading your posts. I truly mean this that I wish you were Head of X and could help guide this franchise.
    Last edited by Steroid; 10-11-2022 at 04:36 AM.

BobbysWorld you make me dream with those kind of post
    Sadly we will never see that in the comics

None of the laws make sense and especially when it comes to the ‘make more mutants’, the X-office screwed up. I heard in an interview a few years ago that Hickman meant for it to be play on ‘no more mutants’ and that was it. Which if that’s true, is also a stupid thing to do for a long term storyline.

The laws are too broad to have a any specific definition. “Make more mutants’ can be interpreted by both citizens and council in any way they desire and it still wouldn’t be breaking a law. You can assume the law applies to the resurrection protocols (therefore no need for you to make babies) or you could assume you can make babies but not have to raise them (Stacy X telling Kurt couples give babies away with a smile on their face) or assume you have no choice but to procreate and all three assumptions would be correct.

Likewise each member of the council will have their own definition. I’m going to put aside for now that it is widely out of character for Nightcrawler (sex positive and open minded throughout his history) to question Stacy at all and say that while he challenged her about the ‘law’, once she explained her decision/actions he did not enforce any punishment or correction and therefore gave council approval. The plot then moved on without addressing Krakoa’s messed up social structure once again. I imagine that most of the council couldn’t care less how mutants choose to have families and would have left Stacy X to carry on as she saw fit.

Yet Xavier deemed discouraging mutants having children punishable. Like the laws, the council has no established system. Each council member appears to be kings/queens of the realm being able to deem what is punishable and what isn’t at a whim without the requirement of consultation or vote. Even when voting takes place, the matter is simplistic, half the council could be missing and the majority vote is valid. The majority always win with no compromise or consideration for the oppositions valid objections; no amendments, no do-overs, very all or nothing.

The only specifics we’ve been given to the laws is Spurriers attempt at damage control after the readers did not respond well to the abandoning babies shock tactic; and even then it’s unclear if that is Kurt’s mandate for the legionaries or an actual amendment to Krakoan law.

My conclusion: the whole law system and Krakoan society is a mess and largely ignored by writers until these things become relevant/convenient to the plot to do whatever the hell they want. Arrako has had more consideration to the world building than Krakoa.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
    None of the laws make sense and especially when it comes to the ‘make more mutants’, the X-office screwed up. I heard in an interview a few years ago that Hickman meant for it to be play on ‘no more mutants’ and that was it. Which if that’s true, is also a stupid thing to do for a long term storyline.

The laws are too broad to have a any specific definition. “Make more mutants’ can be interpreted by both citizens and council in any way they desire and it still wouldn’t be breaking a law. You can assume the law applies to the resurrection protocols (therefore no need for you to make babies) or you could assume you can make babies but not have to raise them (Stacy X telling Kurt couples give babies away with a smile on their face) or assume you have no choice but to procreate and all three assumptions would be correct.

Likewise each member of the council will have their own definition. I’m going to put aside for now that it is widely out of character for Nightcrawler (sex positive and open minded throughout his history) to question Stacy at all and say that while he challenged her about the ‘law’, once she explained her decision/actions he did not enforce any punishment or correction and therefore gave council approval. The plot then moved on without addressing Krakoa’s messed up social structure once again. I imagine that most of the council couldn’t care less how mutants choose to have families and would have left Stacy X to carry on as she saw fit.

Yet Xavier deemed discouraging mutants having children punishable. Like the laws, the council has no established system. Each council member appears to be kings/queens of the realm being able to deem what is punishable and what isn’t at a whim without the requirement of consultation or vote. Even when voting takes place, the matter is simplistic, half the council could be missing and the majority vote is valid. The majority always win with no compromise or consideration for the oppositions valid objections; no amendments, no do-overs, very all or nothing.

The only specifics we’ve been given to the laws is Spurriers attempt at damage control after the readers did not respond well to the abandoning babies shock tactic; and even then it’s unclear if that is Kurt’s mandate for the legionaries or an actual amendment to Krakoan law.

My conclusion: the whole law system and Krakoan society is a mess and largely ignored by writers until these things become relevant/convenient to the plot to do whatever the hell they want. Arrako has had more consideration to the world building than Krakoa.
    It’s almost like they took what was meant to be a small part of a much larger story and stretched that part out until it broke. I absolutely believed that Hickman wanted krakoa to be destroyed within the first 2 years of the status quo with the X-men moving to mars. Krakoa was absolutely not meant to last this long and it has worn out it’s welcome.

The Quiet Council sucks.

Ultimate Member

In a truly sinister Krakoa, 'Make More Mutants' combined with Krakoa distributing drugs to a large population of humans outside Krakoa, drugs with effects that human science still hasn't exactly pinned down, let alone been able to replicate in a lab, had me speculating that these drugs were retroviral, and inserting an X-gene into anyone that didn't already have it, so that even if the drugs weren't specifically 'making more mutants,' they were guaranteeing that everyone who took Krakoan drugs would be passing on X-genes to the next generation of humanity, and, in the long-term, 'making more mutants...'

That seemed like a scary plot, and, per the Krakoan 'laws,' 100% legal.

I could see them doing a Mutant exodus, where after a devastating attack by Orchis and the other anti-mutant forces the collective mutant race decides to leave Earth and find a home elsewhere while being guided by the Phoenix to abandon the Earth.

Then...

After the mutants leave the Earth, the Phalanx begins their invasion and the assimilation of the planet Earth and all life on Earth. The humans become desperate because only people with the X-Gene are capable of resisting Phalanx assimilation, and that was why mutants were originally seeded on Earth as a way of stopping the advance of the Phalanx and Dominions.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I could see them doing a Mutant exodus, where after a devastating attack by Orchis and the other anti-mutant forces the collective mutant race decides to leave Earth and find a home elsewhere while being guided by the Phoenix to abandon the Earth.

Then...

After the mutants leave the Earth, the Phalanx begins their invasion and the assimilation of the planet Earth and all life on Earth. The humans become desperate because only people with the X-Gene are capable of resisting Phalanx assimilation, and that was why mutants were originally seeded on Earth as a way of stopping the advance of the Phalanx and Dominions.
    I like this. They can hang out in Otherworld while the Phalanx lick their chops and target Earth.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

concepts like "forever' are out the door. Krakoa is an era of surplus permanence as well as colonization in world building. the density of what it means to inhabit an era means that the concept of "forever" on a specifically philosophical level will probably be ascribed to the readers as a kind of tenet Krakoans live by, amidst a very real decentralization of the concept metaphorically in some intense game changing tie-in.
    Last edited by ohsnapulon5000; 10-11-2022 at 05:30 PM.

Ultimate Member

Then...

Kind of always been a nagging question for me. It was established back in the eighties that the X-gene was seeded into humanity aeons ago by the Celestials, when they created the Eternals and Deviants, but the question is, 'why?' There has to be a reason for the Celestials to have created mutants in the first place, on so many worlds.

Playing on the MCU version, the more mutants exist and the more Omegas exist, might signal that the Earth is finally ready to crack like an egg and release a newborn Celestial, and that all that Omega (and merely Alpha and whatever) mutant power is just the growing power of the gestating Celestial, which will all be absorbed into it (killing the entire human race, and all the mutants) to kickstart it to life.

But this ain't the MCU, so something else should be the answer. And a threat to life, as old as time, that the Celestials are seeding mutants into various races to protect against, would be a logical way to go. Doesn't have to be the Phalanx either. Could be the Ngarai or something we haven't even seen yet.

Something that an active X-gene makes one resistant to, preferably, so that the existence of mutants on a world serves as a sort of built-in immunity system to the eventual threat's arrival.

Then...

Something like Rise and Return of X.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    In a truly sinister Krakoa, 'Make More Mutants' combined with Krakoa distributing drugs to a large population of humans outside Krakoa, drugs with effects that human science still hasn't exactly pinned down, let alone been able to replicate in a lab, had me speculating that these drugs were retroviral, and inserting an X-gene into anyone that didn't already have it, so that even if the drugs weren't specifically 'making more mutants,' they were guaranteeing that everyone who took Krakoan drugs would be passing on X-genes to the next generation of humanity, and, in the long-term, 'making more mutants...'

That seemed like a scary plot, and, per the Krakoan 'laws,' 100% legal.
    I was very surprised that the drugs didn't have some kind of sinister ulterior function, because they definitely hinted at it more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I was very surprised that the drugs didn't have some kind of sinister ulterior function, because they definitely hinted at it more than once.
    The drugs have to be what they seem, as the human nations would already be hyper suspicious of them. A lot of humans would refuse to take them even after extensive trials - beware Greeks bearing gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    The drugs have to be what they seem, as the human nations would already be hyper suspicious of them. A lot of humans would refuse to take them even after extensive trials - beware Greeks bearing gifts.
    Very early on there were mentions of side effects, but that's since been completely ignored. All in all the drugs have gotten almost zero attention and largely don't matter. Its like any of the hundreds of Reed Richards/Tony Stark/etc. inventions that should change the world but don't.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I definitely recall a data page implying the plants were grown with like corpses or something. I definitely think at some point they were going to factor into some kind of plan, whether it was Beasts, Krakoas or Moira's.