Page 152 of 161 FirstFirst ... 52102142148149150151152153154155156 ... LastLast
Results 2,266 to 2,280 of 2407

Thread: Fall of X

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Now that most of the first issues of the Fall of X books have been released (Nightcrawler's book launches in a few weeks), what are your overall thoughts about the event so far?

I feel like it has started strong and I'm committed to sticking with some titles until their end (Children and Dark) while giving most of the second issues a chance. I'm also all in with the 3 core books. So far so good imo!
    X-Men Red remains #1. Children of the Vault was a standout. Dark X-Men has a ton of potential. Uncanny Avengers was surprisingly mediocre. The solo series (Iceman, Jean Grey, and Ms. Marvel) were all varying levels of ok-good. Realm of X was kinda bad IMO. The rest I didn’t pick up or haven’t come out.

Immortal & X-Men are both good writing wise, but I don’t really like their directions so I’m not that invested in either.

Ranking the ongoing titles:

Immortal X-Men: I love Gillen’s writing. Truly love it. This is a standout for me. His Shaw is superb.

X-Men: I love what Duggan is doing to Kate, even though I think they could have kept the old spelling of Shadowcat. Sometimes there is too much tell and not enough show with Duggan. But still a solid read. Really hoping that Scott won’t be a prisoner for too long.

X-Men Red: Is usually my favorite, tied with Immortal. Ewing has made me love Sunspot. It is still a good read, I am just not a fan of the civil war story.

X-Force: Decent read, even though it felt strange that the team waited for Colossus’s orders for so long, in the middle of that attack.

Wolverine: I am skipping the Ghost Rider crossover.

Not reading Invincible Iron Man.

Ranking the limited series:

Ms Marvel: The New Mutant: my favorite of all Fall of X titles!!! Loved it. But I am a sucker for college stories, so I am probably not very objective. The lab beneath the campus gave me Buffy season 4 vibes. Can’t wait for the next issue. The art is amazing!

Children of the Vault: Loved it. Loved it. Loved it. What more is there to say?

Alpha Flight: Really liked it. Felt like I was reading a classic Marvel comic from the 1980s.

Jean Grey: Jean Grey is my favorite comic book character of all time. I love her! I really liked this fast paced read. I don’t think Simonson got teen Jean right. She behaved like she did in the first half of Bendis’s run. She grew so much after that. But it is always nice to see Jean be powerful and scary. Am not looking forward to Wolverine as Phoenix in #2. And as someone who is hoping that they will explain away the Phoenix force and just have it be Jean at her ultimate potential (as it was originally), I am not fond of the focus on the Phoenix force. Here’s hoping that Simonson will prove me wrong.

Dark X-Men: love Maddie and Alex. Might be a bit too dark (!) for my taste. But I am intrigued by the story.

Uncanny Avengers: liked it! I honestly have no idea who Captain Krakoa is.

Astonishing Iceman: I love Bobby. I love the focus on a queer character. I don’t get why he has to rely on Romeo and I hope they will explain that. A decent, entertaining read, but also easily forgotten.

Realm of X: A waste of time reading this. Boring. Reminds me of Tini Howard’s Excalibur, even though this was more coherent than Howard’s drivel. Coherent but boring. And Curse is a horrible character. Will skip this.

Not reading Uncanny Spider-Man.
    Last edited by johnnysv75; 09-02-2023 at 12:11 PM.

So far so good
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Now that most of the first issues of the Fall of X books have been released (Nightcrawler's book launches in a few weeks), what are your overall thoughts about the event so far?

I feel like it has started strong and I'm committed to sticking with some titles until their end (Children and Dark) while giving most of the second issues a chance. I'm also all in with the 3 core books. So far so good imo!

I haven't read everything, but what of what I have read:

Top Tier:
    X-Men Red: Probably the most interesting storyline to me at this point.
    Jean Grey: this is very interesting and looking forward to more.
    Immortal X-Men: well written and introspective, really pick up the thread of Xavier alone on Krakoa really well.

Second Tier:
    X-Men: It's good but I'm not as invested in the Orchis/X-Men on the run story as I thought I'd be (though IX is good engaging in a way this is not)
    X-Force: back on board for this now that they're actually picking up on the Colossus storyline. Enjoyable and may go back and read the last six months to year that I missed.
    Dark X-Men: Pretty good initial story but the backup story was not necessary or enjoyable.

Third Tier:
    Children Of The Vault: Interesting concept but boring execution so far. I don't know if I'll continue to read it.
    Uncanny Avengers: VERY meh. I'll pick up the second issue but I honestly don't foresee me reading to completion.

First of all it's not an event, is a status quo/arc, like "Dawn of X" and stuff before.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    First of all it's not an event, is a status quo/arc, like "Dawn of X" and stuff before.
    What's the second of all?

The main difference between FoX and the other "of X" eras is that there's a checklist to it with what seems like a set endpoint. It's possible it may continue with another set of limited series though. My usual way of describing it is a baby era since it looks like it's done after the December issues.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

How unfortunate for Marrow that the first book she gets to be part of again (last time was X-force 9 years ago), seems to be one of the weakest and least important of the current shared-storyline and what looks like a stealth attempt at keeping the Excalibur/Otherworld relevant despite what appears to be declining interest by the reader/buyership after 3 canceled series.

If the whole thing just starts and ends in a resounding "meh" by the readership it's not going to improve her stock much.

What's the second of all?

The main difference between FoX and the other "of X" eras is that there's a checklist to it with what seems like a set endpoint. It's possible it may continue with another set of limited series though. My usual way of describing it is a baby era since it looks like it's done after the December issues.
    Perhaps the term "concurrent storyline" would be appropiate if "event" isn't the right term?

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    How unfortunate for Marrow that the first book she gets to be part of again (last time was X-force 9 years ago), seems to be one of the weakest and least important of the current shared-storyline and what looks like a stealth attempt at keeping the Excalibur/Otherworld relevant despite what appears to be declining interest by the reader/buyership after 3 canceled series.

If the whole thing just starts and ends in a resounding "meh" by the readership it's not going to improve her stock much.

Perhaps the term "concurrent storyline" would be appropiate if "event" isn't the right term?
    It’s a crossover like Fall Of The Mutants. It even has the Hellfire Gala as an “Alpha” issue like Age Of Apocalypse.

Invincible Iron Man #10 was the best X-book of the week for me.

Most definitely agree. Realm of X is a total bust. I just have no clue why that was approved.

And the Jean Grey book is serviceable. Just a holding pattern title till she comes back.

Iron Man is moving the overall story along and it was nice to see what they did with Feilong. It feels like the first semi-win for mutants so far.

I'm still invested in what's going to happen with Jean but it def feels like we're taking a long, slow bus ride to get there and I'm sleepy.

Realm. I dunno. I'm really just reading to see what happens with Saturnyne since I think that'll become a plot point in a later book but it's rough getting through it.

I struggle with Ms. Marvel because I don't know Kamala very well and though covers often lie, it's extra shady to put Logan and Scott on this cover and they're nowhere to be found lol. I did like the scene with Emma though.

Iron Man is moving the overall story along and it was nice to see what they did with Feilong. It feels like the first semi-win for mutants so far.

I'm still invested in what's going to happen with Jean but it def feels like we're taking a long, slow bus ride to get there and I'm sleepy.

Realm. I dunno. I'm really just reading to see what happens with Saturnyne since I think that'll become a plot point in a later book but it's rough getting through it.

I struggle with Ms. Marvel because I don't know Kamala very well and though covers often lie, it's extra shady to put Logan and Scott on this cover and they're nowhere to be found lol. I did like the scene with Emma though.
    Why does it seem like all the X-Books are dragging on so painfully slowly?
    placeholder signature until I can think of something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungho View Post
    Why does it seem like all the X-Books are dragging on so painfully slowly?
    There's a few highlights for me like Children of the Vault and Dark X-Men. Alpha Flight too. And I'm into the three core titles at the moment. But I think it's always tricky to remain fully invested in the "now" when we know there's some big announcements about January just a few weeks away.

I’m off Duggan, but good to hear Iron Man has some positive moments.

I checked out Realm 2 because I saw someone say it was better than the first issue, and while I definitely agree… I don’t know if I agree enough to get a third issue.

I’ve actually been liking Ms. Marvel because it’s been kinda nice to have a lighter series among the depressing other books. I knew those covers were a lie when Jubilee was on one.

Jean Grey #2 kinda lost me. It’s really giving “What if” now. Definitely giving… sleep.

Realm of X is well something.

A shame cause I love Dust, Magik, and Dani. But Curse is a mess. Doesn’t help as a Nature Girl stan. I just don’t give a f about Curse. She’s a monster and why do I care if she’s lost? Lol..