Page 33 of 161 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383133 ... LastLast

Thread: Fall of X

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    I honestly don't have a problem with the vote it really makes sense to have it during the Krakoan era, I think the main problem is the length of time we spend with the team. I can see every 2 years we change the team but every year is too short of enough time. Especially considering all the events and crossovers being thrown at the book, we spend less time with each member. So far this run I don't even think I can tell you what characters such as Angelica, Iceman, Scott or Magik have done this run, this having more to do with Duggans writing more than anything else.
    This is essentially how I feel. The public superhero team representing Krakoa makes the vote make sense for me but I also would like more time with each team.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Agreed, changing roster every year isn't doing anything for me. The characters leaving don't really get any meaningful exploration, nor do they really get their profiles raised... they're just sort of... there, and then move on to other places unknown.

I think the vote could work better with a different writer who juggles and balances teams more effectively. Duggan seems to focus more on certain characters (not just in this book, but in his Marauders run too) so everyone else becomes extraneous.
    "When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — No, you move."

Astonishing Member

Not sure if it will be Fall of X, but what if the actual "end" to this whole direction/status quo actualy results in a reboot back to X-men #1 (1992) and then just have everything go into a new direction from there?

After all that seems to be the time and appearance most people know the X-men for, it was the end point of the original "golden age" that made them such a powerfull household name, the comics and stories that came after it were often quite divisive among the fans with very few "ups" compared to a large number of "downs" and it's roughly in line with where the new TAS season would start off.

Also if Multiverse of Madness is any indicator the MCU might also take more inspiration from the TAS incarnation and classic comics rather than drawing a lot from what came after it, especialy with the post 2000's and it's ruinous tone.

So when in rome, might aswell do as the romans and try to deliver in the comics what people actualy expect to see on TV, tablet, cinema, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Agreed, changing roster every year isn't doing anything for me. The characters leaving don't really get any meaningful exploration, nor do they really get their profiles raised... they're just sort of... there, and then move on to other places unknown.
    While this is quite noticable with the X-men title, because it's applied intentionaly, it could be argued this is actualy a problem for the entire X-men line of comics because of the dominantly short shelf life of most titles.

Everytime a title gets canceled it seems half the cast is back to the box, while the other is shuffeled around and might get written differently with previous developments or alterations forgotten again.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Not sure if it will be Fall of X, but what if the actual "end" to this whole direction/status quo actualy results in a reboot back to X-men #1 (1992) and then just have everything go into a new direction from there?

After all that seems to be the time and appearance most people know the X-men for, it was the end point of the original "golden age" that made them such a powerfull household name, the comics and stories that came after it were often quite divisive among the fans with very few "ups" compared to a large number of "downs" and it's roughly in line with where the new TAS season would start off.

Also if Multiverse of Madness is any indicator the MCU might also take more inspiration from the TAS incarnation and classic comics rather than drawing a lot from what came after it, especialy with the post 2000's and it's ruinous tone.
    *Shivers*
    OMG I would like nothing better, back to when I was a wee one getting into the comics and cartoon, back to the Beast I loved!

Quote Originally Posted by Mungho View Post
    *Shivers*
    OMG I would like nothing better, back to when I was a wee one getting into the comics and cartoon, back to the Beast I loved!
    There there. I know what it's like for your favorite character to be ruined and left unrecognizable by the wrong writer. In the meantime, while you wait for Beast to get fixed, have you considered stanning another character? Hellion's very likeable, and unlikely to get derailed any further.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    I honestly don't have a problem with the vote it really makes sense to have it during the Krakoan era, I think the main problem is the length of time we spend with the team. I can see every 2 years we change the team but every year is too short of enough time. Especially considering all the events and crossovers being thrown at the book, we spend less time with each member. So far this run I don't even think I can tell you what characters such as Angelica, Iceman, Scott or Magik have done this run, this having more to do with Duggans writing more than anything else.
    There are enough books rn that I think they could do a vote every year but just have different books impacted each year. Seems like the best of both worlds to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    There there. I know what it's like for your favorite character to be ruined and left unrecognizable by the wrong writer. In the meantime, while you wait for Beast to get fixed, have you considered stanning another character? Hellion's very likeable, and unlikely to get derailed any further.
    he could shave his head and get a pink chuff just "to pay homage to the true rebellious X-teen"

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Marauders 11 spoilers:
    Not gonna lie, I had assumed for a while that a big part of Fall of X would be spoilers:
    Genosha being revived, either with the original inhabitants or the Threshold living there.

I did not expect the apparent point of "Genoshas ghosts sent back in time so they can be revived in the past, and that becomes Threshold", which if the way they described the circuit is correct would take Genosha out of the resurrection protocols. Which would be pretty much the major goal of resurrection gone. Which brings up questions for how long resurrection will be lasting now.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by gonnagiveittoya; 02-15-2023 at 04:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Marauders 11 spoilers:
    Not gonna lie, I had assumed for a while that a big part of Fall of X would be spoilers:
    Genosha being revived, either with the original inhabitants or the Threshold living there.

I did not expect the apparent point of "Genoshas ghosts sent back in time so they can be revived in the past, and that becomes Threshold", which if the way they described the circuit is correct would take Genosha out of the resurrection protocols. Which would be pretty much the major goal of resurrection gone. Which brings up questions for how long resurrection will be lasting now.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I didn't expect that Genosha/Threshold connection either and agreed, if they can pull this off then the bulk of the mutants in the queue would be removed which brings forth more questions. Are protocols set to be taken offline? Will they offer wider access to humanity? Interesting.
    end of spoilers

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I don't think spoilers:
    the characters voluntarily take them offline if only because there's still dead non-Genoshan mutants left. But it definitely feels like the writers checking off the box of "things to do before we take resurrection away". As for the humans, hypothetically they might just not tell the humans that the Genoshans have been revived. Hell they might not even tell the rest of Krakoa that it happened.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I don't think spoilers:
    the characters voluntarily take them offline if only because there's still dead non-Genoshan mutants left. But it definitely feels like the writers checking off the box of "things to do before we take resurrection away". As for the humans, hypothetically they might just not tell the humans that the Genoshans have been revived. Hell they might not even tell the rest of Krakoa that it happened.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yup, I meant being taken offline by the X-Office. The characters in-story would keep it going since they tend to die a lot these days.
    end of spoilers

It seems like next month's issue is the last one then Orlando is doing that one-shot for pre-Fall of X, then he's getting a new book so we'll see.

Fall of X feels like to me it is channeling the spirit of its predecessor in Fall of the Mutants. That was really three separate stories running through Uncanny X-men, X-Factor and New Mutants and there wasn't much in the way of a common thread running through any of them. Well, when I look at the four one-shots that lead into Fall of X, it kind of feels the same... like they're setting up four separate stories that will make up the Fall of X phase of the X-books.

- Sons of X will obviously set up whatever replaces Legion of X, as I don't think that one is continuing; so that will be the Spurrier story, wherever it takes place.
    - Heralds of Apocalypse seems to be setting up Al Ewing's story in X-men Red (and is the one I'm most interested in personally); Al has confirmed that XMR is continuing on and has written up to issue #13 (I believe I read that he said that in one of his weekly newsletters).
    - Mutant First Strike is interesting as it seems to be a merger of some of Duggan's X-men cast (Cyclops, Jean Grey) and Orlando's Marauders cast (Bishop), which makes me wonder if Duggan might be leaving and Orlando taking over X-men and bringing Bishop with him? Regardless, this obviously sets up whatever story Orlando will be telling next in whatever book he'll be writing after Marauders ends.
    - Sinister Four is Gillen's story continuing on with the four Sinisters and I would guess in Immortal X-men, assuming that book is continuing.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Hey, how could I call myself the CBR forums unofficial Beast-stan if I stan another character? Then again, maybe I should take a break from the forums for awhile, it's been rather upsetting. I've kept reading the forum to see if there's any explanation of his behavior only to be disappointed. I may have come off as a little, uh, heavy. What would you rec-command
    for Hellion-reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Fall of X feels like to me it is channeling the spirit of its predecessor in Fall of the Mutants. That was really three separate stories running through Uncanny X-men, X-Factor and New Mutants and there wasn't much in the way of a common thread running through any of them. Well, when I look at the four one-shots that lead into Fall of X, it kind of feels the same... like they're setting up four separate stories that will make up the Fall of X phase of the X-books.

- Sons of X will obviously set up whatever replaces Legion of X, as I don't think that one is continuing; so that will be the Spurrier story, wherever it takes place.
    - Heralds of Apocalypse seems to be setting up Al Ewing's story in X-men Red (and is the one I'm most interested in personally); Al has confirmed that XMR is continuing on and has written up to issue #13 (I believe I read that he said that in one of his weekly newsletters).
    - Mutant First Strike is interesting as it seems to be a merger of some of Duggan's X-men cast (Cyclops, Jean Grey) and Orlando's Marauders cast (Bishop), which makes me wonder if Duggan might be leaving and Orlando taking over X-men and bringing Bishop with him? Regardless, this obviously sets up whatever story Orlando will be telling next in whatever book he'll be writing after Marauders ends.
    - Sinister Four is Gillen's story continuing on with the four Sinisters and I would guess in Immortal X-men, assuming that book is continuing.
    I'm not sure Sons of X will be much set-up. It's coming out a month earlier than all of the others, so I think it's more of a conclusion to Legion of X that's being branded as Before the Fall so it feels branding consistent with the others. Part of me wonders if Spurrier is done after Legion of X but we will see.

Orlando def has a new book as we've heard but I'd be surprised if Duggan is leaving since he was talking about the election as if he is the one writing the winner.