Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Have no intention of buying "The Dark Web." What I 'd like to see is something that the writers will never do. If Scott and Madeleine are going to have a confrontation in Dark Web, I would love to see Scott apologize to Maddie for the way he treated her. Always thought Madeleine was better written than Jean was at the time. Claremont brought something to her that seemed real, while Jean seamed so shallow. Perhaps that's because there were two different writing groups handling the situation. But I never bought Maddie's transformation into the Queen. So glad I gave up X Men comics.

--jthree
    Last edited by JThree; 10-11-2022 at 07:51 AM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JThree View Post
    Have no intention of buying "The Dark Web." What I 'd like to see is something that the writers will never do. If Scott and Madeleine are going to have a confrontation in Dark Circle, I would love to see Scott apologize to Maddie for the way he treated her. Always thought Madeleine was better written than Jean was at the time. Claremont brought something to her that seemed real, while Jean seamed so shallow. Perhaps that's because there are two different writing groups handling the situation. But I never bought Maddie's transformation into the Queen. So glad I gave up X Men comics.

--jthree
    I can respect that. I, too, would like Scott to give Madelyne an overdue apology. Not that it would change much, if anything, at this point between them, but on the principle of the matter . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

This has more justification to be named Inferno than Inferno (Hickman).
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    Not that I think we needed Inferon redux, but yeah...not that it's the first time Marvel has reused the name for an event that it really had no business being named that way.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Maddy! I hope this finally let's her move on from summer family drama and establish herself as the queen that she is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Magik's Santa hat and ugly Christmas sweater bring me joy.
    I hope she keep it on during the whole event.

Is this the first time Alex is shown in a teaser for this event ?

I really like that it makes SENSE for once to crossover this particular X-team with Spiderman against Madelyne.

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    One of Hickman's thing was rebranding everything though. Pretty sure he would have called the X-men team "Avengers" if he could get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    I hope she keep it on during the whole event.

Is this the first time Alex is shown in a teaser for this event ?

I really like that it makes SENSE for once to crossover this particular X-team with Spiderman against Madelyne.
    Yeah I believe this is the first time we've seen Alex doing something active related to this event.

And I agree. There's so many layers to play with between all these characters for this crossover.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    She must! Angelica and Ben have history from the New Warriors, plus Maddie surely hates being confused with any other redhead and will use demons to strip Angel of her fiery locks.
    I loved the call back to Spider Man and his Amazing Friends in one of the images. Firestar, Iceman, and Spider Man, that was kind of cute to see them together in the comic preview.
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Incredible Member

Have no intention of buying "The Dark Web." What I 'd like to see is something that the writers will never do. If Scott and Madeleine are going to have a confrontation in Dark Web, I would love to see Scott apologize to Maddie for the way he treated her. Always thought Madeleine was better written than Jean was at the time. Claremont brought something to her that seemed real, while Jean seamed so shallow. Perhaps that's because there were two different writing groups handling the situation. But I never bought Maddie's transformation into the Queen. So glad I gave up X Men comics.

--jthree
    When the plotline started out with Claremont,it actually had promise with the story being centered around Naze and Forge, but once Louise Simonson and the X-Factor garbage got dragged into the story, it turned into really,really,really bad episodes of a truly horrible Soap Opera that was actually so bad that the Actual Soap Operas of the time wouldn't have touched the resulting plot running in the X-Books with a 100 foot pole.
    Last edited by rcaguy; 10-11-2022 at 11:11 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    When the plotline started out with Claremont,it actually had promise with the story being centered around Naze and Forge, but once Louise Simonson and the X-Factor garbage got dragged into the story, it turned into really,really,really bad episodes of a truly horrible Soap Opera that was actually so bad that the Actual Soap Operas of the time wouldn't have touched the resulting plot running in the X-Books with a 100 foot pole.
    Who's "Naze?" Agree with you. You know there's trouble when the writers couldn't agree with the name of the baby. In one title it's Nathan (Naze?) and the other one it's Christopher In one title, Madelyne is somewhat sympathetic, in the other title a straight out villain.

--jthree

Extraordinary Member

Who's "Naze?" Agree with you. You know there's trouble when the writers couldn't agree with the name of the baby. In one title it's Nathan (Naze?) and the other one it's Christopher In one title, Madelyne is somewhat sympathetic, in the other title a straight out villain.

--jthree
    Naze was the mystic who trained Forge to be a sorcerer. He became possessed by The Adversary and the fight between Forge and his possessed mentor was the main conflict of the Uncanny part of Fall of the Mutants, where they defeated the Adversary.

A convergence of factors led to Inferno as it was written. Firstly, Magik's story was always building towards a big battle to prevent a demon invasion of earth, though it was set up specifically to have Belasco as the villain of that story. For Madelyne the buildup really started with Mutant Massacre. first of all because that was when Mr. Sinister as a force acting behind the scenes was introduced, and that was also when the idea that there was a mystery to Maddie which needed to be resolved was introduced with her being attacked and murdered by the Marauders, coming back to life on her own, and being shown to have a connection to the Phoenix Force. Before that there was never meant to be any mystery or overarching plot for Madelyne, and they scrambled to come up with one in response to Jean being brought back and Scott running out on Maddie to start X-Factor to both get him off the hook for doing something so horrible and to get him back together with Jean. Mutant Massacre also started the countdown to the demon invasion by having Magik lose control of Limbo., but these things did not have to happen in the same story.

Unfortunately Simonson wrote everything but the Uncanny parts of Inferno. Because she forgot Magik's origin she thought Illyana had killed Belasco and so Magik was written as someone who had no problems with killing and an entirely new villain was created to take the place in the story that should have been Belasco. This ruined the New Mutants part of the story and ensured Magik's storyarc could not be properly concluded in Inferno and I will nalways be angry at Simonson for what she did there. It didn't help that Bob Harris was the editor by then and he just wanted to get rid of the magical parts of the X-Men universe as soon as possible and didn't care enough to correct Simonson's gigantic blunder, which is probably why the Sinister/Maddie and Magik/Limbo stories were so awkwardly combined in Inferno. To be fair to Simonson, she didn't intend for Inferno to be the true end to Magik's arc and intended for Magik to be revealed to have stayed in Limbo to bring it under control while leaving an alternate child version of herself behind on earth, so the real conclusion to her arc in the form of a final battle with Belasco could have been had, but 1. that would never happen as long as Bob Harris was at Marvel, and 2. she had already wasted that 'Magik sacrifices herself to stop a demon invasion' card on lesser villains, meaning any attempt to do it again properly with Belasco would just be retreading old ground. Her return was the story her death in Inferno should have been if Simonson had not screwed up her continuity so badly.

In addition to ruining Magik's big sendoff, Simonson was on a completely different page from Claremont when it came to Maddie, because while he had an attachment to Maddie as her creator Simonson hated Maddie. So Claremont would focus on the tragic aspects of her fall and Simonson would focus on making her as evil as possible with no redeeming qualities whatsoever, with even her sacrifice to save the world during Fall of the Mutants being ignored in favor of making her inherently a villain from the start.

If I could go back in time as an editor I'd have separated the Limbo and Sinister stories, replaced N'Astirh with Belasco so that Magik would get a proper death and not have to be brought back to fix this story's mistakes. With the Sinister story I'd not have the Goblin Queen be a thing at all and have Scott ultimately show how much he's grown and matured by choosing to go back to Maddie and his son even after learning she was a clone, much like Spider-Mans growth and maturity was shown by his choosing to remain with Mary Jane in a story where it looked like Gwen Stacey had returned in the 70s. Jean coming back to life did not have to mean that she and Scott got back together.
    Last edited by sunofdarkchild; 10-23-2022 at 06:40 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    In addition to ruining Magik's big sendoff, Simonson was on a completely different page from Claremont when it came to Maddie, because while he had an attachment to Maddie as her creator Simonson hated Maddie. So Claremont would focus on the tragic aspects of her fall and Simonson would focus on making her as evil as possible with no redeeming qualities whatsoever, with even her sacrifice to save the world during Fall of the Mutants being ignored in favor of making her inherently a villain from the start.

With the Sinister story I'd not have the Goblin Queen be a thing at all and have Scott ultimately show how much he's grown and matured by choosing to go back to Maddie and his son even after learning she was a clone, much like Spider-Mans growth and maturity was shown by his choosing to remain with Mary Jane in a story where it looked like Gwen Stacey had returned in the 70s. Jean coming back to life did not have to mean that she and Scott got back together.

I like that. In my humble opinion, Claremont made Madelyne a very deep character, despite the shortness of time she was in the title. Just wish Byrne hadn't middled with Jean coming back. I much preferred Claremont's vision with Maddie, that there would be "hints" that she was Phoenix. Maybe never stated clearly, but it would keep a mystery to her. Simonson never seemed to give Jean as much depth as Claremont did for Maddie. I can see Maddie being Jean with a bit more maturity.

-From the Ashes was the high light of the X Men saga for me. Scott, was the best he ever was. A great leader, and his story arc showed real depth. Both when he figured out it was Mastermind, and his resolution to the story. Best ending ever.
    Still waiting for other comics to have an ending that positive and hopeful.

--jthree

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Okay so in X-Men 16 Scott has his visor removed by force and it takes a piece of the mask with it, so Scott has one mask with the visor attached and another version with it as two separate pieces??

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Okay so in X-Men 16 Scott has his visor removed by force and it takes a piece of the mask with it, so Scott has one mask with the visor attached and another version with it as two separate pieces??
    Why not? Visor is hardware after all. Design of it can change over time.