Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    What exactly was she doing where being really really strong would come into play? You brought up Hercules, dont bring up people if you dont want a rebuttle.
    I only brought up Hercules to ask why Diana unlocked her abilities after 900 years, but I doubted whether this happened to other demi-gods. I could have used any demi-god as an example, but I chose probably the most famous from the Greek pantheon. And who cares if he flew or not because my only motivation to use him as an example was about 'unlocking' abilities.

Otherwise, why wouldn't Diana, after 900 years know if she was really, really strong? She only comes from a society that trains for combat every day in which they test their limits. I liked the first movie, but there was some illogical moments to ponder. As for logic, let's not discuss WW84 at all since that would not prove very rewarding.
    Last edited by BiteTheBullet; 11-21-2022 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Diana didn't fully activate her powers until the narrative required it because it was an origin movie, and it needs impactful dramatic moments. The No Man's Land scene wouldn't have landed if Diana wasn't discovering her capabilities while she was doing it.

Let's not overthink this or bring Hercules into it.

She also didn't fly because Patty specifically wanted that dramatic moment to happen in the sequel (and it's a great moment on its own merits). Since we're only getting glimpses of the 70 years since the first movie, I don't see why it matters that she didn't fly then. We aren't seeing the scenes either way, what does it matter?
    So we don't have to second guess the powers that Wondy should have. Like I said before, this did not happen to the other superheroes in their origin movie. I can guess why though, and it was the powers that are DCEU that decided they didn't want Wonder Woman to fly. She didn't in BvS or in JL even though there were plenty of opportunities for her to do so. The fact that she finally figured out flight (by a man) in her 4th movie outing leads me to believe that this was the case at first. I am genuinely surprised they let her fly, although I am still not convinced it is real flight or flying on air currents. I will have to see how it works for her in WW3.

She could have had a dramatic moment in the origin movie with flying. I mean characters like Shazam and Superman did. Can you imagine not having either of these two flying in their origin movies?

It's another reason she should not have had her movie in 1984 but in present day, and then learned how to fly so it would make logical sense because she couldn't in modern day before then. I still remember people trying to convince me based on the origin movie that she could fly. Remember the leap at the end in Paris. Or her hovering against Ares. But I still kept on asking for the proof. Then in BvS when she jumped into Doomsday which some were trying to say that it was flying. In JL, she would have been better served to fly when they were in the sewers in danger of drowning, but I think the people trying to convince skeptics like me that she could fly were dropping out of that conversation by then. So....great she can fly now, but again when the others can right out of the box (i.e. their origin movies) and she can't, and their is now countless media in which she can't fly, you can see why I have my doubts.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    So we don't have to second guess the powers that Wondy should have. Like I said before, this did not happen to the other superheroes in their origin movie. I can guess why though, and it was the powers that are DCEU that decided they didn't want Wonder Woman to fly. She didn't in BvS or in JL even though there were plenty of opportunities for her to do so. The fact that she finally figured out flight (by a man) in her 4th movie outing leads me to believe that this was the case at first. I am genuinely surprised they let her fly, although I am still not convinced it is real flight or flying on air currents. I will have to see how it works for her in WW3.

She could have had a dramatic moment in the origin movie with flying. I mean characters like Shazam and Superman did. Can you imagine not having either of these two flying in their origin movies?

It's another reason she should not have had her movie in 1984 but in present day, and then learned how to fly so it would make logical sense because she couldn't in modern day before then. I still remember people trying to convince me based on the origin movie that she could fly. Remember the leap at the end in Paris. Or her hovering against Ares. But I still kept on asking for the proof. Then in BvS when she jumped into Doomsday which some were trying to say that it was flying. In JL, she would have been better served to fly when they were in the sewers in danger of drowning, but I think the people trying to convince skeptics like me that she could fly were dropping out of that conversation by then. So....great she can fly now, but again when the others can right out of the box (i.e. their origin movies) and she can't, and their is now countless media in which she can't fly, you can see why I have my doubts.
    Blame the lack of flight in the origin movie on the version the character in your avatar. She didn't fly, and Lynda Carter is the most iconic Wonder Woman that Patty loves. So we got a movie with a flightless Wonder Woman like Carter, but it built up to her flying in the sequel (along with a quick nod to the invisible jet as well, which honestly should have been in the first movie), and now she will stay flying in the sequel. Patty wants to do a trilogy across decades with Diana evolving, and Wonder Woman's evolving power set across publication decades is well documented. Honestly an origin movie for Superman with Golden Age power levels isn't expected, but would he a pleasant surprise that a lot of Superman fans would like.

Snyder ripped us off in the present day with lack of flight, but he's gone now and the continuity in the films is in a constant flux anyway. It wouldn't inform what Patty does with her flight in WW3

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Blame the lack of flight in the origin movie on the version the character in your avatar. She didn't fly, and Lynda Carter is the most iconic Wonder Woman that Patty loves. So we got a movie with a flightless Wonder Woman like Carter, but it built up to her flying in the sequel (along with a quick nod to the invisible jet as well, which honestly should have been in the first movie), and now she will stay flying in the sequel. Patty wants to do a trilogy across decades with Diana evolving, and Wonder Woman's evolving power set across publication decades is well documented. Honestly an origin movie for Superman with Golden Age power levels isn't expected, but would he a pleasant surprise that a lot of Superman fans would like.

Snyder ripped us off in the present day with lack of flight, but he's gone now and the continuity in the films is in a constant flux anyway. It wouldn't inform what Patty does with her flight in WW3
    Just because my avatar is from the 70's doesn't mean I want that version in the 2010's or 2020's. Sure, get me Lynda in her prime with today's special effects and all would be well. But that is neither here or there and should not be any form of counter to any argument that I made about her not being able to fly.

The fact is she couldn't fly in the movies because.....really, because why? Because the people in the DCEU wanted it that way. It wasn't until her WW2017 movie became a verifiable hit that they might even have thought of her differently, that she could make bank, and better bank than the big boys like Superman MoS. Didn't her movie make more than MoS? It was certainly more profitable since they did not put the money in it like they did for MoS. Yet they stripped her of powers like flight and great strength to make sure that the big strong men like Shazam and Supes had them. Just look at the complete clown job of a fight with Supes and the JL. Again, the league should be renamed Superman and his not quite great Superbuddies.

As far as her evolving, good thing it started in year 900 instead of younger like when puberty hit for her. Would make more sense instead of ham fisting it with the 'narrative'.

As far as the Carter series which I love, Diana is not the same as back then. This was the 70's, so any flying would have looked cheesy given the special effects, and their budget wasn't going to have buildings collapse from fights. She stopped tanks, picked up cars, stuff like that they could get away with. So for even Patty to think like that is just wrong.

I have said this before, but given that the Synder films as well as WW2017 or any DCEU movie seem to be replaying all the time on TNT or TBS as well as any of us that have HBO max, I think alot of people might think the same of poor old Wondy. "Hey, Wonder Woman flys in 1984 but not in modern times. Why doesn't she fly dad?" At least, that is the conversation going off in my mind half the time when the problem could be solved by her simply being able to fly. But Synder and the DCEU people at that time decided that Wonder Woman would be second fiddle and not make her a 'flying brick' because that is too much like Superman. Instead they went the Wonder Xena route.

Why do some of us not want our cake and be able to eat it too? Why do we get a watered down version that was flightless until she suddenly gains this in her second movie (4th overall)? Why do we get crumbs with her like jobbing to Supes and Steppenwolf and just accept it? Or crap villains like Max Lord and whatever that version of Cheetah was? I would think more people on this board would object to how she is portrayed, but instead many of you always go for the great story, so doesn't matter about powers trope. WW2017 might be a good story, but what about WW84? Horrible movie, she was depowered for most of it, and apparently she can't handle a really windy day. Not the greatest of showings for Wondy, and this was the revered Patty (to some) letting us know how powerful she is. "Hey Wondy, can you help us out with this impending hurricane", only for her to run away because of her weakness to wind!

Horrible movie, she was depowered for most of it, and apparently she can't handle a really windy day. Not the greatest of showings for Wondy, and this was the revered Patty (to some) letting us know how powerful she is. "Hey Wondy, can you help us out with this impending hurricane", only for her to run away because of her weakness to wind!
    Seriously, that was one the most ridiculous scenes in the movie. Wonder Woman stopped by some wind! Where did all that money go? The action scenes look like they were actually filmed in the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Seriously, that was one the most ridiculous scenes in the movie. Wonder Woman stopped by some wind! Where did all that money go? The action scenes look like they were actually filmed in the 80's.
    The budget for some of the action scenes could have been done for the 70's Carter version.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Just because my avatar is from the 70's doesn't mean I want that version in the 2010's or 2020's. Sure, get me Lynda in her prime with today's special effects and all would be well. But that is neither here or there and should not be any form of counter to any argument that I made about her not being able to fly.

The fact is she couldn't fly in the movies because.....really, because why? Because the people in the DCEU wanted it that way. It wasn't until her WW2017 movie became a verifiable hit that they might even have thought of her differently, that she could make bank, and better bank than the big boys like Superman MoS. Didn't her movie make more than MoS? It was certainly more profitable since they did not put the money in it like they did for MoS. Yet they stripped her of powers like flight and great strength to make sure that the big strong men like Shazam and Supes had them. Just look at the complete clown job of a fight with Supes and the JL. Again, the league should be renamed Superman and his not quite great Superbuddies.

As far as her evolving, good thing it started in year 900 instead of younger like when puberty hit for her. Would make more sense instead of ham fisting it with the 'narrative'.

As far as the Carter series which I love, Diana is not the same as back then. This was the 70's, so any flying would have looked cheesy given the special effects, and their budget wasn't going to have buildings collapse from fights. She stopped tanks, picked up cars, stuff like that they could get away with. So for even Patty to think like that is just wrong.

I have said this before, but given that the Synder films as well as WW2017 or any DCEU movie seem to be replaying all the time on TNT or TBS as well as any of us that have HBO max, I think alot of people might think the same of poor old Wondy. "Hey, Wonder Woman flys in 1984 but not in modern times. Why doesn't she fly dad?" At least, that is the conversation going off in my mind half the time when the problem could be solved by her simply being able to fly. But Synder and the DCEU people at that time decided that Wonder Woman would be second fiddle and not make her a 'flying brick' because that is too much like Superman. Instead they went the Wonder Xena route.

Why do some of us not want our cake and be able to eat it too? Why do we get a watered down version that was flightless until she suddenly gains this in her second movie (4th overall)? Why do we get crumbs with her like jobbing to Supes and Steppenwolf and just accept it? Or crap villains like Max Lord and whatever that version of Cheetah was? I would think more people on this board would object to how she is portrayed, but instead many of you always go for the great story, so doesn't matter about powers trope. WW2017 might be a good story, but what about WW84? Horrible movie, she was depowered for most of it, and apparently she can't handle a really windy day. Not the greatest of showings for Wondy, and this was the revered Patty (to some) letting us know how powerful she is. "Hey Wondy, can you help us out with this impending hurricane", only for her to run away because of her weakness to wind!
    My counter is more that comic book adaptations are not a new thing, and people should be aware of how they work by now. When crafting their stories, they take bits and pieces from previous iterations across media and fashion their own thing. BTAS borrowed from the Bronze age, Burton films and Frank Miller. The Arkham games borrowed from BTAS, Nolan and the post Crisis comics.

In Wonder Woman's case, her gaining the ability to fly changes in the timeline depending on what continuity she's in. She either gets flight well into her superhero career, has it from jump, or never gets it at all. Then 2/3 of her biggest media adaptations before this film had her flightless and featured the Invisible Plane, and the 2009 dtv had the vague gliding on air currents while also having the plane.

So it boils down to: her not flying in her origin film but getting it later isn't some affront to her, it's actually pretty in line with the various pieces of WW media we have had over the decades. It doesn't make sense to compare it to Superman and Shazam, because they started flying in both comics and across media MUCH earlier than she did and stayed that way.

WB/DC isn't moving forward with Snyder's vision, but Patty will at least be able to close out hers. So her not flying in JL doesn't matter, because it's going to be irrelevant to WW3. As far as Patty is concerned, she flies (and it's flying once she gains the hang of it, not gliding-she flies herself and Cheetah out of the water and floats back down. And I wouldn't say anybody revers Patty on here, we just see that she gave us one good movie and one bad movie, so that doesn't call for either extreme fawning or doom and gloom

I only remember 1 time in the early season of TV version of WW where it "appeared" that perhaps WW was "flying", really more "gliding" from a rooftop laterally to a ladder to save a young boy who was on said unstable ladder that was pulling away from the building. So did it really make sense for WW to add her weight to it too??

It was so poorly done, that everyone just thinks it was some kind of jump/leap.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Since some of the Gods are dead maybe Dr. Psycho can use Psychic/Occult powers to channel them or their powers to him and Diana can fight Psycho God or the Dead Gods

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post

Patty once liked a tweet on Twitter that asked if the first movie was about love, the second about truth, would the third about justice. Patty liked the tweet. .

Isn't every superhero movie about justice?

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

The general population at this point seems to expect action packed scenes from WW. A recurring sentiment I’ve seen about 84 is that it didn’t go hard enough on the fight scenes, which I can agree with. I think there’s a way to do that in a mindful way without turning her into a generic warrior woman with a sword. They just need to find balance. After thinking about it, 84 was a bit unbalanced because both Barbara and Max were redeemable in their own ways. I know it’s supposed to be WW’s thing to redeem her enemies, and sometimes turn them into allies at times, but for the sake of balance, she has to stand against foes who are ultimately irredeemable that pose an imminent threat to the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Amazon Swordsman View Post
    The general population at this point seems to expect action packed scenes from WW. A recurring sentiment I’ve seen about 84 is that it didn’t go hard enough on the fight scenes, which I can agree with. I think there’s a way to do that in a mindful way without turning her into a generic warrior woman with a sword. They just need to find balance. After thinking about it, 84 was a bit unbalanced because both Barbara and Max were redeemable in their own ways. I know it’s supposed to be WW’s thing to redeem her enemies, and sometimes turn them into allies at times, but for the sake of balance, she has to stand against foes who are ultimately irredeemable that pose an imminent threat to the world.
    She needs to go up against foes that have more of a threat to her as well as upping the destruction of her fights with said opponents. No one that watched WW84 that I knew thought for a minute that we got good action scenes as well as scaled up destruction befitting her power levels. Most of the action they did could have been done on the 70's Wonder Woman budget (at least it looked like that to me).

Give her a known threat from the comics and put it up on the silver screen for us to see. She does not really have a great rogues gallery in my opinion, but Giganta might make for a good destructive fight. She could have gone against her godly sisters and brothers, but they killed the pantheon off. Maybe characters like Medusa, if still alive could raise the stakes. Or, let her have a Warworld arc with Mongul and see how that plays out.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Isn't every superhero movie about justice?
    Thematically? I would argue no. That's why I also included my theory of what thematically "justice" could look like with my inclusion of Medusa and Circe as villains. Medusa, in particular, is a character that our current society is reframing as a victim of the times, an injustice, and a Wonder Woman film is a great place to provide justice for Medusa. In doing so, Wonder Woman could also use Medusa as an allegory for women throughout time. Circe can do something similar, but I would keep her unrepentant.

Unlike Batman, whose villains and heroes are shaped by personal traumas, Wonder Woman and her villains are shaped by systematic structures and injustices. Medusa can show how systematic injustice turns people into allegorical and literal monsters. However, reparative justice - Wonder Woman - can heal those monstrous wounds. Circe can show the same things, but her powers to turn people into monsters can show how victims can then use those same systems that destroyed them to destroy others.

I would love something so sophisticated, and I think Jenkins could do a wonderful job bringing it to life. However, an opening Giganta battle and a spectacle Circe battle can still satiate the action cravings that audiences require.
    Last edited by PopQuezy; 11-23-2022 at 07:47 AM.

I'm seeing reports that Lynda Carter's DCEU character Astoria will be featured again in WW3, possibly in an expanded role and sharing scenes with Gal Gadot.

OK, I get it: Patty Jenkins is a huge fan of Lynda Carter and her 1970s WW show. But if she is actually bringing Lynda back again for the threequel, there's a problem.

Just because the Superman franchise is often stuck in the shadow of Christopher Reeve, doesn't mean the Wonder Woman franchise has to do the same with Lynda Carter.

I thought Lynda's appearance in WW84 was unnecessary and pure fanwank. Her appearance in WW3 would be actively detrimental IMO.

Maybe I'm wrong and more Lynda Carter in Gal Gadot's movie is a good thing.

But it feels like heading backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    I'm seeing reports that Lynda Carter's DCEU character Astoria will be featured again in WW3, possibly in an expanded role and sharing scenes with Gal Gadot.

OK, I get it: Patty Jenkins is a huge fan of Lynda Carter and her 1970s WW show. But if she is actually bringing Lynda back again for the threequel, there's a problem.

Just because the Superman franchise is often stuck in the shadow of Christopher Reeve, doesn't mean the Wonder Woman franchise has to do the same with Lynda Carter.

I thought Lynda's appearance in WW84 was unnecessary and pure fanwank. Her appearance in WW3 would be actively detrimental IMO.

Agreed. If Patty likes the 70's show so much, she should make a sequel to that instead.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

There's nothing backwards about bringing back the only other woman to play WW. Its like saying smallville should've just made a reeves sequel because they used him more than once, or any legacy character.