Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    jenkins has at this point, a consistent trackrecord of walking away if she doesn't get full control. Some people here still defending her like she was the one who created the greatest WW content of all time.
    Sorry, but as far as live action, what WW content is better than the first WW film? The TV show was crap, despite Lynda Carter's glorious amazing amazon. The Cathy Lee Crosby thing was crap. The pilot with Adrienne Palicky was crap.No matter how bad WW84 was, 2017's Wonder Woman was a superbly crafted movie, and no bad sequel will ever negate that. This demonization of Jenkins to the point of retroactively acting as if her first film was "just ok" reeks of internalized misoginy. Goes to show the double standards so many people still have for women who fail at something. Jenkins failed with WW84? So now all her good work is dismissed?

Surprised to see people take this Grace person seriously.

Only time she popped up in my radar was when Gunn took time to directly call her claims bullshit.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Sorry, but as far as live action, what WW content is better than the first WW film? The TV show was crap, despite Lynda Carter's glorious amazing amazon. The Cathy Lee Crosby thing was crap. The pilot with Adrienne Palicky was crap.No matter how bad WW84 was, 2017's Wonder Woman was a superbly crafted movie, and no bad sequel will ever negate that. This demonization of Jenkins to the point of retroactively acting as if her first film was "just ok" reeks of internalized misoginy. Goes to show the double standards so many people still have for women who fail at something. Jenkins failed with WW84? So now all her good work is dismissed?
    For some...yes. Some believe any rumor that gets put out there to dismiss her, she didnt use Zack Snyders team on a sequel...even though James Wan also used no Snyder people on his film...dismissed, and she just got "lucky" with her films.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

I am never trusting somebody like jenkins to do WW again. She only knows how to use her depowered like most of ww17 and ww84. And only light in her life is a man she knew from 1 week. She decided to go back with geoff after the mess of ww84 demanding full control. Like really? She learned nothing from 84. specially if that article saying the script of ww3 had similar problems like ww84 is true. Which would mean that jenkins peaked with the first WW film. And it is better to have a new director, than to have another movie with the problems of ww84.
    Last edited by WonderLight789; 12-11-2022 at 12:45 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Definitely something like this! Think an animated thing like this would be a great way to keep the spirit of the book with varying different art styles. Maybe even bring in the artists to help supervise for each section. Way more ambitious than the action flicks the current crop are.

Think the only time DC tried something like this was with an animated Batman movie meant to ride off the coattails of the Nolan films.
    Something like The Animatrix as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Surprised to see people take this Grace person seriously.

Only time she popped up in my radar was when Gunn took time to directly call her claims bullshit.
    Come on now, even if she were as wrong as she's right about the entertainment industry, there's no denying Grace Randolph has earned a modicum of respect for carving out a niche for herself as a dedicated reporter and on youtube of all places.

Hi all! Chiming in here with my thoughts on all this. They're very mixed, tbh. At this point, I feel the same way about Patti Jenkins as I do about Rob Zombie. They both have great eyes for DIRECTING movies, but neither of them should WRITE their own movies. For Rob, his downfall is dialogue and constantly casting his wife, who should never be the lead in a movie. For Patti, she seems to be specifically honed in on Diana and Steve, as if Diana can't function without her boyfriend of all of a week after 100+ years. Now, there are quite a few things I LIKED about WW84, but I've found that it hasn't retained the re-watchability that the first movie has for me. I can watch WW 2017 any time and I'm immediately immersed. In WW84, I find myself impatiently waiting for Diana to actually BE Wonder Woman, much like the latter half of the 70s Lynda Carter show, which became Secret (barely) Agent Diana Prince, with a smattering of Wonder Woman here and there.

In all, my hopes are that the WB/DC execs can find a GOOD director, preferably one who really gets the character and doesn't fixate on one aspect, and that Gal gets the chance to play Diana one last time. Say what you will about her acting skills, but SHE seems to "get" Diana and the warmth and kindness she exudes throughout WW 2017 really do alot to elevate the movie for me. As much as I'm not a fan of Warrior WW with a sword and shield, it worked in this particular story's case, and by the end she was sans both and relied on raw power, speed, skill and her lasso.

As for WW84, I liked seeing the Amazons, I liked how bright and shiny the WW armor was, I liked that they removed the brown straps and clipped the lasso to her belt, and I liked the use of the lasso and tiara. I also really liked that she learned to glide on wind as she was doing in the comics, and how that seemed to transition into just plain self propelled flight (when she knocks out Cheetah in the water and brings her to the surface, she is PLAINLY defying gravity, a la Superman). Otherwise, I am not so blind as to not see the many flaws. I don't want to list them, but suffice to say, the near OBSESSION with Steve Trevor was the most egregious for me.

My hopes aren't dashed, and I hope these new guys are open to hiring people who REALLY get Wonder Woman to collaborate on her next adventure. If it were up to me, I'd hire Greg Rucka and Phil Jimenez to consult with on character and lore, then get a good action writer to get a treatment going, then a really good editor with knowledge of Diana to go through and fine tune the treatment.

As of right now? I'm not completely convinced Diana will be a huge priority for the new boys, but I haven't totally given up all hope either. I'm totally in a state of "watch, listen, and see what happens...
    Peace and love to ALL!
    Ray
    **=w=**

Agreed to all of this ( well, I love the original TV series for what it was at the time is was created) but literally everything else is spot on. ��

I feel like folks keep jumping to conclusions without knowing Jenkins' side.

What did the PTB want her to change/ add? Was it wrong for the character? ( Let's remember, the photo of Diana with the clump of severed heads ..she ditched that nonsense. Not everyone " gets" Diana, let's be honest)

So let's not judge so quickly. Patty hd every right to walk away, as an artist, if what they wanted was too far outside what she felt was good for the character....

And who knows? Maybe in the end it will all work out for everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Come on now, even if she were as wrong as she's right about the entertainment industry, there's no denying Grace Randolph has earned a modicum of respect for carving out a niche for herself as a dedicated reporter and on youtube of all places.
    I never really understood the extreme vitriol people feel about her.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    No love for Iron Man? I put IM ahead of WW and BP. Also, I point out that BP had the added benefit of not being the actual introduction of the character to the audience. Civil War did some of the heavy lifting for the first BP movie.

EDIT: I just remembered that WW also isn't the character's introduction. Guess I subconsciously try to forget most DCEU movies exist...
    Iron Man has a pretty weak second half IMO. It starts off very strong with the Afghanistan scenes, has some very good sequences in between like the building montage but everything Obadiah Stane related is so forgettable. For all the criticisms regarding Ares and Wonder Woman's final act, the Iron Monger scenes were worse.

Honestly other than Black Panther and Guardians of the Galaxy, I don't think any of the MCU superhero origin films are particularly memorable. Their solo franchises usually take off with the sequels, after their main character has interacted with the rest of the Avengers.

I'll always be partial toward Donner's Superman but I would be shocked if younger audiences today would embrace it.

I feel like the success of Wonder Woman was proof that Donner's Superman still has a cultural impact as WW draws so heavily from that film.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I never really understood the extreme vitriol people feel about her.
    There is a little bit of misogyny that factors in as I feel her track record is no worse than that of her peer 'scoopers' but TBF there are times she gets unreasonably vicious like when she targeted Birds of Prey months before its release over a Black Mask storyline that she claimed was true but never materialized in the final film. The director Cathy Yan understandably called her the 'scum of journalism' which hurt Randolph's cred quite a bit.

Incredible Member

No offense to Jenkins, but in many respects that animated Wonder Woman film from several years back was just as good if not better. I didn't especially enjoy the weird takes on Hades and Ares and Etta, but pretty much everything else worked. The Amazons were well developed, Steve was a fun love interest, we got to see the Contest, Invisible Jet and Lasso of Truth...it was pretty darn good.

I have issues with Jenkins' WW film, too, so I think they're pretty even.

EDIT: Wait - Jenkins is off the movie now?

Wow. Didn't see that coming. I'm rather annoyed actually because now whatever we get will be tainted by the "what if?" of Patty's version.

Look, WW84 was a mess and misguided and really unfortunate...but I think it had good intentions. Would have been nice for Patty to redeem herself and complete whatever character arc she thought would be ideal. Or maybe it would have been another misfire.

Hopefully that treatment/pitch will eventually make it's way to the internet for us to discuss.
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; 12-12-2022 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Iron Man has a pretty weak second half IMO. It starts off very strong with the Afghanistan scenes, has some very good sequences in between like the building montage but everything Obadiah Stane related is so forgettable. For all the criticisms regarding Ares and Wonder Woman's final act, the Iron Monger scenes were worse.

Honestly other than Black Panther and Guardians of the Galaxy, I don't think any of the MCU superhero origin films are particularly memorable. Their solo franchises usually take off with the sequels, after their main character has interacted with the rest of the Avengers.

I feel like the success of Wonder Woman was proof that Donner's Superman still has a cultural impact as WW draws so heavily from that film.
    Appreciate the honest feedback. I always enjoy seeing how people can remain polite despite disagreeing.

I think Iron Man is overall a stronger film than Wonder Woman, but I will say that on several emotional levels WW just hits better. Like I said, I think WW is a good movie, and it does deserve a lot of praise. I liked Obadiah Stane a bit, and for a Marvel villain (which is its own meme category of sorts) he's definitely in the upper half for me, but he totally falls apart as a villain when he becomes Iron Monger. I thought Jeff Bridges did well with what he was dealt and I pick Stane over the WW villains. And speaking of memes, I'll always love "In a cave! With a box of scraps!"

Since we're comparing the two, I think their respective sequels ran into similar issues. IMO, it's easy, in comparison, to make a solid origin story film than it is to make a really solid follow-up, and both kind of fell short of meeting expectations that the original movies set. But Iron Man had the benefit of introducing to us a great character in Black Widow, so its shortcomings are much easier to gloss over. This isn't to suggest that WW84 should've been more connected with the DCEU (I'm actually happy it didn't...), but just the way the MCU was developing in the late 2000s the Iron Man and Marvel franchises were just in better position to succeed due to the level of coordination that DCEU sorely lacks.

You're onto something about Jenkins' adaptation of Superman into the WW film, but I think it still needs some sort of modern translation to resonate with young, modern audiences. Showing them the 1977 film, I suspect, will fall flat.

The first WW movie holds up for me, largely because I prefer character- and dialog-driven movies to plot-driven movies and that's exactly where it excels. Diana, Steve, and the whole ragtag crew are well-developed and believable - the dialog and chemistry are really solid across the board and the film takes its time to breathe and spend time with the cast without ever feeling meandering. Diana's an amazing protagonist, likable, warm, and genuinely heroic while still being flawed and vulnerable, and the Diana-Steve romance lands perfectly on all fronts. It just all comes together and makes you actually care.

Also it's very tonally well-balanced. Pretty much a perfect blend of humor and drama, action-packed without being one big super-fight like MoS, incredibly earnest without being corny. The stakes are big enough to feel epic but not so big that it strips away its humanity. It's really entertaining without feeling like total junk food. It has plenty to say but never hits you over the head with it, even though the final act does undermine the biggest message - I especially like how its feminism never devolves into the cheesy "I am no man!" bit.

It's obviously flawed. The 3rd act totally drops the ball, the pacing is all over the place, the villains are a mixed bag, and there are a lot of things I seriously disliked about it as a fan (hate a lot of the lore choices, wasn't fond of how it portrayed the Amazons even though it could've been WAY worse, really didn't like how much it centered men). But its heart and overall watchability put it well above the majority of superhero movies for me. It's especially refreshing next to the recent MCU movies, which just feel like...content.

It's also easily the best DCEU movie with only Shazam even coming close, but I know that's faint praise.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    No offense to Jenkins, but in many respects that animated Wonder Woman film from several years back was just as good if not better. I didn't especially enjoy the weird takes on Hades and Ares and Etta, but pretty much everything else worked. The Amazons were well developed, Steve was a fun love interest, we got to see the Contest, Invisible Jet and Lasso of Truth...it was pretty darn good.
    Honestly I think it's aged like milk. It's often fun and the action is great, and I definitely thought it handled the Amazons and the lore better than the Jenkins film, but I felt like it had no depth or pathos. Steve comes across as a total dick and Diana is an unlikeable straw feminist who has to be taught the error of her ways. Very Joss Whedon-y, and I don't mean that as a compliment.

I was still on the side of Jenkins directing WW3,

But someone that would probably do the type of Wonder Woman movie that we need, and that James Gunn would probably love is Ana Lily Amirpour