Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    You’re leaving out his speculation:

He spun an elaborate scenario where WW3 getting shut down was the first step in Gunn’s master plan to completely reboot the entire DCU. If they want to keep Gadot, which he didn’t mention, then that pokes a hole in the “scenario” that Gunn is pushing to recast everyone and start completely over again.
    But it's a speculation and one possible scenario as no one knows Gunn's plans and said plans are also in flux.

"The rest of the DC slate remains in flux, or at least is being kept deep in a pocket of Gunn’s own utility belt but there are several rumors and possible scenarios to consider ahead of next week’s meeting."
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...es-1235276804/

Today, Gunn himself said he'll build upon what has worked, and this make me think at a soft reboot more than a hard-reset of the DCU:

"But, in the end, the drawbacks of that transitional period were dwarfed by the creative possibilities & the opportunity to build upon what has worked in DC so far & to help rectify what has not."
    https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status...20136621338624

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    But it's a speculation and one possible scenario as no one knows Gunn's plans and said plans are also in flux.

"The rest of the DC slate remains in flux, or at least is being kept deep in a pocket of Gunn’s own utility belt but there are several rumors and possible scenarios to consider ahead of next week’s meeting."
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...es-1235276804/

Today, Gunn himself said he'll build upon what has worked, and this make me think at a soft reboot more than a hard-reset of the DCU:

"But, in the end, the drawbacks of that transitional period were dwarfed by the creative possibilities & the opportunity to build upon what has worked in DC so far & to help rectify what has not."
    https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status...20136621338624
    I know but Borys didn’t give other “scenarios”, he only wrote up the one where Gunn goes scorched Earth on everything. Because this was all in THR, people assumed he was sharing what he heard of Gunn’s plans, and some of it was right per Gunn himself. If they’re willing to keep Gadot then I assume that means they’re going to do soft reboots for most. Batman will probably get a hard reboot, and Superman is unknown but I think Cavill will stay.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I know but Borys didn’t give other “scenarios”, he only wrote up the one where Gunn goes scorched Earth on everything. Because this was all in THR, people assumed he was sharing what he heard of Gunn’s plans, and some of it was right per Gunn himself. If they’re willing to keep Gadot then I assume that means they’re going to do soft reboots for most. Batman will probably get a hard reboot, and Superman is unknown but I think Cavill will stay.
    My personal thought was that one reason why Gunn and Safran became DC's bosses was because they were attached to the current DCU and wouldn't just came in and destroy everything to start from scratch. Safran is producer of Aquaman, Shazam, Blue Beetle, Peacemaker, TSS... Can't see him and Gunn flushing their own work out the toilet if they aren't forced to (by Zaslav?)

From Deadline:

"Granted, the optics of Gunn and Peter Safran’s arrival at the studio, and the deep-sixing of Jenkins’ Wonder Woman 3 treatment doesn’t look good optically in the wake the diversity-led-and behind-the-scenes Batgirl getting killed, (that decision made by Warner Discovery CEO David Zaslav). However, we’re hearing that Jenkins was given the chance to take another stab at a Wonder Woman 3 treatment after receiving notes from all Warner Bros. motion picture brass (it wasn’t just Gunn and Safran’s decision). There were concerns about character arcs and payoffs, and the threequel emulating similar structural problems ala Wonder Woman 1984. She decided to take her toys and go home. The studio would like to do another Wonder Woman, however, the question is will Gal Gadot do it sans Jenkins. Warners’ intent was never to be sexist, rather, the blowing up of Wonder Woman 3 came down to creative differences. Her tweet a day before yesterday’s chaotic news makes it sound like she’s still game."
    https://deadline.com/2022/12/wonder-...dc-1235193576/
    Damn.

I am/was willing to give Patty Jenkins a chance to redeem herself from WW84 and close out the trilogy. But between working with Johns again and now this, it sounds like she learned nothing from that film's mistakes.
    There was stuff in WW84 that worked and that I liked, and I think Jenkins has a good sense of Diana as a character, but is she's so unwilling to compromise and/or failing to see what didn't work with that movie, then she's a detriment. I would say at least keep her on in an advisory role, but it seems even that isn't enough for her.

I hope we still get a Wonder Woman 3. I do still want a trilogy before they start rebooting and recasting.

I will say this: judging from Gunn's tweets on this--vague as they are; just platitudes about "making sure what's best for the characters that we love blah-blah-blah..."--he at least seems aware that WW3 being potentially cancelled flat-out is a bad look.

Guess we'll see where things go from here.

From Deadline:

"Granted, the optics of Gunn and Peter Safran’s arrival at the studio, and the deep-sixing of Jenkins’ Wonder Woman 3 treatment doesn’t look good optically in the wake the diversity-led-and behind-the-scenes Batgirl getting killed, (that decision made by Warner Discovery CEO David Zaslav). However, we’re hearing that Jenkins was given the chance to take another stab at a Wonder Woman 3 treatment after receiving notes from all Warner Bros. motion picture brass (it wasn’t just Gunn and Safran’s decision). There were concerns about character arcs and payoffs, and the threequel emulating similar structural problems ala Wonder Woman 1984. She decided to take her toys and go home. The studio would like to do another Wonder Woman, however, the question is will Gal Gadot do it sans Jenkins. Warners’ intent was never to be sexist, rather, the blowing up of Wonder Woman 3 came down to creative differences. Her tweet a day before yesterday’s chaotic news makes it sound like she’s still game."
    https://deadline.com/2022/12/wonder-...dc-1235193576/
    Truly don't know how Patty Jenkins shat the bed this bad. And even if WW84 hadn't been such a massive failure, surely she knows Johns' reputation and relationship with WB. I'm just glad there's more quality control in the mix now.

I'm still pro-recast, but I could really see it going either way. Yes, WW is by far the biggest thing Gal has going, but Patty is also her close friend/collaborator so if she didn't part from WB on good terms she may walk as well. Plus she has been in the role for 6 years already, so she's looking at another decade-plus if she sticks around.

Regardless, I'm really curious to see who they'll get to replace Jenkins. I assume they'll start the search with another female director in mind, so I'd love to see Gina Prince-Bythewood do it. She did a comic book film with The Old Guard and The Woman King proved she could kill it with a big action blockbuster.

Astonishing Member

Warner Bros Didn’t Cancel ‘Wonder Woman 3,’ Patty Jenkins Walked Off the Project (Exclusive)

In an exchange with studio chief Mike DeLuca, the ”Wonder Woman 1984“ filmmaker sent him a dictionary definition of ”character arc“

Hollywood was stunned by the news this week that Warner Bros Discovery would not move forward with “Wonder Woman 3,” but in fact it was Patty Jenkins, who directed the first two films in the superhero series, who walked off the project after rejecting studio notes on her treatment, multiple individuals told TheWrap.

Jenkins’ exit came as James Gunn and Peter Safran have been getting settled into their new roles as co-CEOs of DC Films and are busy plotting out an extensive multi-year plan for DC films, TV shows and games that they will present to Warner Bros. Discovery CEO David Zaslav next week.

But the two had nothing to do with what happened to “Wonder Woman 3,” TheWrap has learned.

Although Gunn and Safran have been given a mandate to reshape the DC landscape, Warner Bros. Discovery has “ongoing enterprises” that “nobody was going to mess with,” according to one insider. This includes Matt Reeves writing the sequel to “The Batman,” J.J. Abrams’ Black-led “Superman” from Ta-Nehisi Coates, Todd Phillips’ “Joker 2,” and Patty Jenkins doing “Wonder Woman 3.”

Last week, Jenkins turned in her treatment for “Wonder Woman 3” to the studio, according to the insiders.

Warner Bros. Film Group Co-Chairpersons and CEOs Michael De Luca and Pamela Abdy didn’t think the treatment worked and decided not to move forward with the film in its current iteration. Gunn and Safran, who had nothing to do with the decision, also agreed with De Luca and Abdy that the treatment didn’t work.

De Luca and Abdy spoke to Jenkins first and communicated that they didn’t get the treatment, didn’t think it was the right direction for the franchise and asked Jenkins if she would consider pitching something else for the IP in another direction.

According to one insider, Jenkins refused and let De Luca and Abdy “know that they were wrong, that they didn’t understand her, didn’t understand the character, didn’t understand character arcs and didn’t understand what Jenkins was trying to do.”

To underscore her point, according to the first insider, Jenkins sent an email to De Luca that ended with a link to the Wikipedia definition of “character arc.”

Jenkins was told that if she wanted to come back and pitch a different direction for Wonder Woman, the studio would hear it. She stood firm to her vision and responded that if they didn’t want to do her treatment, she wasn’t going to do a different one and would instead just move on to her next film.

Jenkins especially didn’t want to hear what newly installed DC Chiefs Gunn and Safran had to say, even though they had nothing to do with decision to not move forward with her version of “Wonder Woman 3.”

The studio hasn’t killed the “Wonder Woman” franchise altogether and Gal Gadot is still attached to the role at this point. The studio has yet to discuss with Gadot how she feels about continuing as the Amazonian warrior without Jenkins, and hopes she wishes to stay on.

On Tuesday, Gadot tweeted “A few years ago it was announced that I was going to play Wonder Woman.I’ve been so grateful for the opportunity to play such an incredible, iconic character and more than anything I’m grateful for YOU.The fans.Can’t wait to share her next chapter with you”
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

God, Patty's awful.

Oh, how quickly the turns table.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Incredible Member

I honestly cackled reading that The Wrap article. So it seems that WB are still committed to Wonder Woman III, and that the movie is under the direct supervision of the Co-CEOs of WB Pictures and not Safron and Gunn.

I'm honestly shocked that Jenkins had that response. I find her response genuinely perplexing. While I understand staying true to your vision, I can't believe that she'll have that response that could possibly harm her career. This article actually reminds me of the Hollywood Reporter article about Lord and Miller after they were fired from their Star Wars film. It was an obvious hit piece to destroy their credibility, yet they never once argued the details and events shared in that article. If Jenkins doesn't have a response to this article, I think that would be damning to her career.

Anyway, Wonder Woman III and Gadot still seem like priorities ad WBD. It could be a fun thread to propose directors for her film. I actually wouldn't mind seeing Kathryn Bigelow take a shot at the film or maybe even a Sophia Coppola.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I find it funny that Patty is now villain and knows NOTHING about WW. If she stuck to studio notes, we wouldnt have had the most iconic scene from WWs short time in live action.

Now I dont think anyone needs 100% creative control and it is a very give and take but lets not act like Jenkins knows nothing about a possible good film.

I just hope they get someone like Greg Rucka, Gail Simone, or Phil Jimenez and actually listen to them.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I just hope they get someone like Greg Rucka, Gail Simone, or Phil Jimenez and actually listen to them.
    I prefer Rucka or Jimenez. I thought Simone's Wonder Woman 2009 was awful.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I find it funny that Patty is now villain and knows NOTHING about WW. If she stuck to studio notes, we wouldnt have had the most iconic scene from WWs short time in live action.

Now I dont think anyone needs 100% creative control and it is a very give and take but lets not act like Jenkins knows nothing about a possible good film.
    Yeah, I'm not thrilled by by Jenkins pairing with Johns again and refusing studio notes and proposals for a different direction if it was going to be similar to WW84. On the other hand, the people telling her to change stuff are unknown quantities. Jenkins' views on the franchise may be flawed, but we don't know if these others are even worse.

We could have been spared from a poor direction, or we could end up getting something even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    I think this is absolutely absurd of Jenkins. I actually love WW84, but I would never move forward as is after the film's - hyperbolic and outlandish - response. The fact that Jenkins wrote another Treatment with Johns is genuinely insane. If Jenkins isn't comfortable with comic lore, I don't understand why she didn't have WB connect her to Phil Jimenez. The man just wrote an Eisner-winning Wonder Woman story. That would immediately show that Jenkins understood past criticism - whether she agreed with it or not - and was dedicated to righting the ship. Working with Johns again indicates that Jenkins has no idea why she and the film received the criticism they garnered and that she can't be trusted to right the ship.
    Did a story from his first run win an Eisner? He didn't write Historia, he did the art for the first issue. Kelly Sue DeConnick is writing the whole series, though it seems Phil was a heavy collaborator.

Either way, I agree he should be one of the creatives used as a consultant. I'd throw DeConnick and Rucka in there too.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 12-08-2022 at 07:18 PM.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    That would make too much sense.

Really? I loved it for the most part apart from Steve/Etta. That opening would make for a badass opening for a live action film.

She came up with the story that was then made a re-written screenplay by writer Michael Jelenic.

Odd to act like that's the only WW thing she's written or had involvement with. Or that she was even the main creative driving force behind it to where it can be called "Simone's Wonder Woman 2009".
    Last edited by Gaius; 12-08-2022 at 07:37 PM.