Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    So if the first "scriptment" for WW3 by Patty Jenkins is going to be done by Thanksgiving, what is the most realistic timetable for when the movie will be released in theaters?

Are we probably looking at a ... (tabulates) ... Xmas 2024 release?
    Using that hypothetical timeline, I don't think a February or March 2024 date is out of the question. Both of those months have given us gigantic hits (adapted from already established IPs) before, like Black Panther, Deadpool, Captain Marvel, the Beauty and the Beast live action remake, The Hunger Games, etc. February of 24 seems to be kinda dead, with the only "major" films opening being a Dirty Dancing remake and Sony's Madame Web, both of which a hypothetical WW sequel with solid reviews and solid buzz would destroy at the box office. As for March, there's a whole lot more potential competition for WW3 (the Disney Snow White live-action remake with Gal Gadot as the Evil Queen and Rachel Zegler in the title role, Kung Fu Panda 4, a The Fall Guy movie remake, Godzilla V Kong 2 et al.) Then again, a February or March 2024 opening will probably interfere with postproduction. Who knows? December of 2024 will be a bloodbath for any film that dares open close to Avatar 3, although we have had multiple blockbusters make strong box office in December in the past...

August and September of 2024 are literally empty. I would take a calculated risk and open WW3 in mid August (3 weeks after the MCU's Thunderbolts opens, which is possibly enough time for it to have made all the box office it was going to make). This way, WW3 has 6 whole weeks to itself before Joker 2 and Deadpool 3 open in October and November. Plus August, traditionally a "dead" month for box office, has been extremely good for genre films (Suicide Sguad, Guardians of the Galaxy, Shang Chi, IT)
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 11-11-2022 at 02:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I like that!!!
    Thank you, my friend!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Spectacular Member

So if the first "scriptment" for WW3 by Patty Jenkins is going to be done by Thanksgiving, what is the most realistic timetable for when the movie will be released in theaters?

Are we probably looking at a ... (tabulates) ... Xmas 2024 release?
    Summer or winter 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
    Summer or winter 2023.
    No Way.

If the scriptment (not actual script) won't be turned in until Thanksgiving, then an actual finished script is at least six months away from then (late May 2023). Then there is official casting which is another few months after that. Principal shooting on a movie like WW3 is anywhere from a month to several months after that. And then there's post-production (and re-shoots) for at least another six months.

Springtime 2024 is the absolute earliest release window for WW3.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

What we got out of Queen Mother in Wakanda Forever is exactly what I want to see from Hippolyta on an even grander level either in this or a reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    What we got out of Queen Mother in Wakanda Forever is exactly what I want to see from Hippolyta on an even grander level either in this or a reboot.
    Hopefully we'll get some grand Amazon action .

Angela Bassett is a goddess and she KILLED it as Queen Ramonda. Anyway, there is a lot of elements in Wakanda (from the comics and the films) that, imo, would feel right at home in my ideal big-screen Themyscira.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    Angela Bassett is a goddess and she KILLED it as Queen Ramonda. Anyway, there is a lot of elements in Wakanda (from the comics and the films) that, imo, would feel right at home in my ideal big-screen Themyscira.
    Yeah I haven't seen Wakanda Forever yet but it kinda seems like an actually good version of what DC tried and failed to do with the Amazons and Atlanteans. If DC'd had any kind of creative vision or cohesion from the outset, they could have done something fairly similar and drawn from Jason Momoa's Pacific Islander heritage. They had the huge advantage of (really bad, but extant) source material and should have beaten the MCU to the punch.

Unfortunately Patty's Amazons are way too weak and Stone Age to create real tension with the global military apparatus and her Diana isn't powerful enough to compensate for it. Plus the message just wouldn't have been as resonant when the DCEU's Themyscira and Atlantis are both overwhelmingly white.

In general, I feel like the character desperately needs a hard reboot because it's gonna be REALLY hard to tell stories set in Man's World in the current state. Her entire mortal supporting cast died after the first movie and political drama is gonna seem like a cheap copy of the MCU. The only compelling direction left is mythological epics with the Amazons, which could be really awesome and unique to her given the direction the MCU has taken with Thor, but Patty's decision to gut Amazon lore (no goddesses, no Heracles, no advanced tech, no magic, no Doom's Doorway...) and kill off the gods definitely doesn't help with things. Still, hopefully we'll see some badass Amazons fighting minor gods and monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Yeah I haven't seen Wakanda Forever yet but it kinda seems like an actually good version of what DC tried and failed to do with the Amazons and Atlanteans. If DC'd had any kind of creative vision or cohesion from the outset, they could have done something fairly similar and drawn from Jason Momoa's Pacific Islander heritage. They had the huge advantage of (really bad, but extant) source material and should have beaten the MCU to the punch.

Unfortunately Patty's Amazons are way too weak and Stone Age to create real tension with the global military apparatus and her Diana isn't powerful enough to compensate for it. Plus the message just wouldn't have been as resonant when the DCEU's Themyscira and Atlantis are both overwhelmingly white.

In general, I feel like the character desperately needs a hard reboot because it's gonna be REALLY hard to tell stories set in Man's World in the current state. Her entire mortal supporting cast died after the first movie and political drama is gonna seem like a cheap copy of the MCU. The only compelling direction left is mythological epics with the Amazons, which could be really awesome and unique to her given the direction the MCU has taken with Thor, but Patty's decision to gut Amazon lore (no goddesses, no Heracles, no advanced tech, no magic, no Doom's Doorway...) and kill off the gods definitely doesn't help with things. Still, hopefully we'll see some badass Amazons fighting minor gods and monsters.
    I don't think Jason Momoa would have been comfortable using his Pacific Islander heritage as a dressing for Atlantis. As for Themyscira, I feel like some want it to be too similar to Wakanda when they've never quite been the same thing, even when the Amazons had more advanced technology. DC still has the first female led superhero movie to be a success to their name and some have criticized the way the Atlanteans were handled in Wakanda Forever (warning for spoilers: https://www.escapistmagazine.com/wak...ot-its-causes/).

As for her supporting cast, we still have plenty of WW characters who have yet to be adapted to the big screen and the Amazons are still alive.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-14-2022 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't think Jason Momoa would have been comfortable using his Pacific Islander heritage as a dressing for Atlantis. As for Themyscira, I feel like some want it to be too similar to Wakanda when they've never quite been the same thing, even when the Amazons had more advanced technology. DC still has the first female led superhero movie to be a success to their name and some have criticized the way the Atlanteans were handled in Wakanda Forever (warning for spoilers: https://www.escapistmagazine.com/wak...ot-its-causes/).

As for her supporting cast, we still have plenty of WW characters who have yet to be adapted to the big screen and the Amazons are still alive.
    Yeah fair enough re: Jason Momoa, though I do still think it was odd that Atlantis was so overwhelmingly white. I'll check out that article after I've seen the movie but interesting to see, most people I hear talking about it have nothing but positive things to say about how it handles it (at least within the confines of what Disney will allow).

In terms of Themyscira vs. Wakanda onscreen, I agree that they're very different beyond just the tech and aesthetics, but DCEU Themyscira doesn't have the thematic focuses that make it unique. Black Panther deals with the legacy of colonialism and Wakanda is a utopian model of a society untouched by their neighbors' oppressors. The Amazons are women who have dealt with the trauma of gender-based oppression but were able to escape, find space to heal, and develop a culture based on shared understanding and sisterhood. Wakanda is free; Themyscira is liberated.

Their relationship with the world is also very different. The Wakandans are culturally insular, but the Amazons have an activist bent - after they open up to the world, their focus is on sharing their values and modeling a better way of living. And the Amazons are deeply, openly religious.

Patty Jenkins ditched all of that. She made a deliberate choice to cut out the Amazons' trauma because it "isn't empowering" (that mindset makes my skin crawl) and Diana's neither an activist nor a particularly engaged Amazon - she has a secret identity, she operates in secret, and she's more connected to her ex-boyfriend than she is to her Amazon heritage. The Amazons are connected to the Greek pantheon but they don't worship and they know their gods are all dead. So it's just an isolated island of people from one marginalized group without any distinct identity beyond the Ancient Greek warrior aesthetic. There's no depth beyond some vague, confused "girl power" message. Hence, discount Wakanda.

But you're right about the supporting cast. They also have a lot more options now that they're setting it in the modern day and don't have to worry about them aging up in the next movie. In addition to the Amazons it'd be cool to see them bring in Ferdinand and the Kapatelises.

Yeah fair enough re: Jason Momoa, though I do still think it was odd that Atlantis was so overwhelmingly white. I'll check out that article after I've seen the movie but interesting to see, most people I hear talking about it have nothing but positive things to say about how it handles it (at least within the confines of what Disney will allow).

In terms of Themyscira vs. Wakanda onscreen, I agree that they're very different beyond just the tech and aesthetics, but DCEU Themyscira doesn't have the thematic focuses that make it unique. Black Panther deals with the legacy of colonialism and Wakanda is a utopian model of a society untouched by their neighbors' oppressors. The Amazons are women who have dealt with the trauma of gender-based oppression but were able to escape, find space to heal, and develop a culture based on shared understanding and sisterhood. Wakanda is free; Themyscira is liberated.

Their relationship with the world is also very different. The Wakandans are culturally insular, but the Amazons have an activist bent - after they open up to the world, their focus is on sharing their values and modeling a better way of living. And the Amazons are deeply, openly religious.

Patty Jenkins ditched all of that. She made a deliberate choice to cut out the Amazons' trauma because it "isn't empowering" (that mindset makes my skin crawl) and Diana's neither an activist nor a particularly engaged Amazon - she has a secret identity, she operates in secret, and she's more connected to her ex-boyfriend than she is to her Amazon heritage. The Amazons are connected to the Greek pantheon but they don't worship and they know their gods are all dead. So it's just an isolated island of people from one marginalized group without any distinct identity beyond the Ancient Greek warrior aesthetic. There's no depth beyond some vague, confused "girl power" message. Hence, discount Wakanda.

But you're right about the supporting cast. They also have a lot more options now that they're setting it in the modern day and don't have to worry about them aging up in the next movie. In addition to the Amazons it'd be cool to see them bring in Ferdinand and the Kapatelises.
    To be fair on casting mostly white background characters... a lot of that simply has to do with where they're filming. If it's in a location with mostly white people that come up to be extras or whatever that's what you're gonna get.

That ANNOYED the F out of me. I remember someone making a video dissecting the subtextual messages of the first and second WW films and basically said it was white feminism in embodiment. DC and her really removed so much of amazon culture and history (which is barely involved in the comics to boot) because it wasn't empowering, and like... if we can't talk about/explore this stuff in fiction how are we gonna find the words to talk about its reality?
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Patty Jenkins ditched all of that. She made a deliberate choice to cut out the Amazons' trauma because it "isn't empowering" (that mindset makes my skin crawl)
    Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    That ANNOYED the F out of me. I remember someone making a video dissecting the subtextual messages of the first and second WW films and basically said it was white feminism in embodiment. DC and her really removed so much of amazon culture and history (which is barely involved in the comics to boot) because it wasn't empowering, and like... if we can't talk about/explore this stuff in fiction how are we gonna find the words to talk about its reality?
    I don't agree with it, but I've seen plenty of people who think Jenkins made the right choice there. There are already people who think the first movie (and the rest of the DCEU) were too bleak, so using that backstory would have just given them more ammo, regardless of how well it was handled.

Someone mentioned elsewhere (on the DC forums here) that the current rumor is that Diana will have an unambiguously lesbian love interest in WW3.

I'm trying to track down anything that says this could be true. It strikes me as false.

My gut says that

1) after WW84 disappointed, Patty won't be given anywhere near that kind of control again, and

2) Warner still wants the global box office, and many of whose countries are openly homophobic but still loaded with disposable income.

I think Frozen III will have the first openly Lesbian romance in a major cinematic I.P.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Someone mentioned elsewhere (on the DC forums here) that the current rumor is that Diana will have an unambiguously lesbian love interest in WW3.

I'm trying to track down anything that says this could be true. It strikes me as false.

My gut says that

1) after WW84 disappointed, Patty won't be given anywhere near that kind of control again, and

2) Warner still wants the global box office, and many of whose countries are openly homophobic but still loaded with disposable income.

I think Frozen III will have the first openly Lesbian romance in a major cinematic I.P.
    Considering she's involved in the script writing and they want her to continue on....i dont think her control will waiver much

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Considering she's involved in the script writing and they want her to continue on....i dont think her control will waiver much
    Then we can expect another WW84. Everything is Awesome!!!