Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Brian stands on a rooftop in London, the evening of a full moon. It's been six months since the battles with Jaspers and the Fury, Slaymaster and the Special Executive. Things have been peaceful. He reflects and thinks of his sister.

"... I've got problems." There is much to sort out. (Emma is the Braddocks' housekeeper.)

Old man Sidney Crumb walks the street below, as fate would have it. Down on his luck, he's an alcoholic and he's homeless, recently thrown out of the hostel he was staying at.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Brian reacts without hesitation, flying down following the sound of Crumb's scream.

It's interesting to note that when Betsy felt and reacted to the murders of her Psi-Division teammates in public, a comment was made that she may be "on glue." I guess this was a real life trend at the time.

Brian follows Meggan into a dark warehouse and asks her to come out and talk. She thinks back to her time in the death camp, or at least tries to.

Stay tuned...

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Brian reacts without hesitation, flying down following the sound of Crumb's scream.

The panel where Brian is struck by Meggan is an example of why I found Davis's figure-work so exciting. CB's pose is far from the stiff, over-posed figures that were the Marvel house style of the time. Not that I didn't like the Marvel style, I did, but seeing Davis draw heroes in unusual poses that weren't just Kirby-derivatives was pretty surprising stuff back then. His figures are just so fluid, and it's a big part of why I liked the revamped Captain Britain, who was powerful, yet agile.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    The panel where Brian is struck by Meggan is an example of why I found Davis's figure-work so exciting. CB's pose is far from the stiff, over-posed figures that were the Marvel house style of the time. Not that I didn't like the Marvel style, I did, but seeing Davis draw heroes in unusual poses that weren't just Kirby-derivatives was pretty surprising stuff back then. His figures are just so fluid, and it's a big part of why I liked the revamped Captain Britain, who was powerful, yet agile.
    The way Davis contorts Brian's body in so many different ways while in battle is excellent, and really gives the reader a feel of how durable he is. Taking blows that a normal human would literally break from. I love that we get a taste of this later when Betsy kills you know who, which makes that scene that much more jarring.

As we can see, mutants are just starting to appear in Britain. They're known mostly as an American thing. Brian has no issues with mutants and only wants to help Meggan. As they continue to talk, Meggan is watching but unfortunately the pain she's experiencing caused by the full moon is messing with her perception. Because Brian is holding Micky by the shirt, Meggan interprets it as he is hurting her friends that take care of her. She leaps to defend them and the scuffle ends in tragedy.

A funeral is held for young Micky and afterwards, Brian visits his family's home to apologize as he feels responsible. Micky's mother, Joan, doesn't blame him at all though and invites him inside as he sticks out like a sore thumb in this "slum." She introduces him to her father-in-law Bob, who is a fan and appreciates all that Captain Britain has done for their country. Josie, not so much.

It's a heartwarming moment, one Brian needed as he's been working tirelessly to make up for Micky's death. A nice, quiet moment that unfortunately does not last.
    Stay tuned...

The internal struggle Brian is experiencing here between what he sees as his responsibility to the people of Britain and his adventures out in the "cosmos", is in ways reflected by what Betsy is currently going through when the new title launches. She spent necessary time stabilizing Otherworld and will soon be walking into an unknown state of being in Britain. Brousseau already used her absence once (after X of Swords) to dig his influential claws deeper into Britain's government, thus leading to the breaking of ties with Krakoa. The government does not want her because she is a mutant, but Betsy is obviously not the type to be told what she can or cannot do especially when it comes to serving the people. Similar to Brian back when the authorities were trying to stop him.

At one point during Excalibur, Jamie creates a pocket reality in hopes of creating enough chaos that leads to the forming of a new Captain Britain Corps. It doesn't quite work out the way he hoped but one interesting point is that he used that pocket reality's Betsy to fill in the status quo of that reality's Britain, forming all of the details. This was the state of being she created:

We also see Krakoan gates being burned, which is alarming because it's only a short time later at the Hellfire Gala, in the actual reality, that Brousseau informs Xavier and Emma that he will be destroying the gates. Having been tied up in Otherworld until now, I suspect this is what Betsy, Rachel, and Brian will be walking into. Betsy is a precog after all.

It's interesting to note that when Betsy felt and reacted to the murders of her Psi-Division teammates in public, a comment was made that she may be "on glue." I guess this was a real life trend at the time.
    I didn't realise kids stopped sniffing glue. It was certainly a thing when I was a schoolkid in 80's Britain (though neither myself or my friends ever sniffed glue, I hasten to add).

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I didn't realise kids stopped sniffing glue. It was certainly a thing when I was a schoolkid in 80's Britain (though neither myself or my friends ever sniffed glue, I hasten to add).
    I suspect kids today probably still are sniffing it (and/or worse). I found it funny that it came up twice as possible explanations for odd behavior. Lol!

Brian's visit with Micky's family is a softer moment that is very pleasant to read. Until some randos interrupt of course.

They drop through a portal, weapons blazing. Just like Brian, Meggan instinctively pushes her friend to the ground to protect her. Without hesitation she's in the fight. Plus she was just invited to live at Braddock Manor so you better believe she's not letting these tools ruin a good time.

Joan offers them more tea. I can appreciate and relate to her positive disposition despite the giant hole in her home. Though we cannot control what life throws at us, we can control how we respond. Joan will not allow the tragedies in her life to change who she is, nor the goodwill she will continue to extend.

Note how Alison can "see" Meggan for who she really is, comparing her aura to an iridescent butterfly, which surprises Betsy.
    Last edited by JB; 11-30-2022 at 12:27 PM.