Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    The first time we see the siblings together is in 1976's Captain Britain #8 by Lord Claremont and Herb Trimpe.

Betsy finds Brian on his college campus to tell him that Jamie has been in a terrible car accident.
    Random question, cuz I can't remember, but do you know if that was during the time Brian was college roommates with Peter Parker still?

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Random question, cuz I can't remember, but do you know if that was during the time Brian was college roommates with Peter Parker still?
    No, it would have been before. Although I have seen several people over the years say that Peter and Brian were roommates at college, it's not clear how long Brian studied in the US; for the original CB run he was going to college in London.

Astonishing Member

Gotcha. The only thing I remember definitively about the Brian and Peter roommate thing is it definitely took place during the time Brian was wearing the red Captain Britain costume that had the lion on the front and the weird mask that covered his mouth too. And it was also during the time Brian was definitely still struggling with his alcoholism, because I do remember that coming up specifically. Anyway. Just curious. I didn't think Betsy has any history with Peter but that post had me suddenly wondering if she 'just missed him' when picking up Brian in one of those 'these two heroes were coincidentally seconds away from encountering each other but never saw each other as they crossed the same street' teases that older comics loved including.

I just double checked and Panic is right on. After the first Captain Britain run they appeared in "Super Spider-Man & Captain Britain" and then actually met each other in "Marvel Team-Up" Vol. 1 #65. Brian was a foreign exchange student from Thames and was assigned to be Peter's roommate at ESU. Peter kinda freaked out because he was worried about keeping his identity secret with a roommate present, of course not knowing Brian had his own secret. It's not clear how long they were roommates but they were featured in #65 and #66. It's so cool they have this history and I'll post some scans when back at my comp!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Then they fight until they realize they're on the same side, as young superheroes do. Then Arcade nabs them both. It's lovely.

EDIT: And oh yeah, there's a flashback of their time as roommates in Excalibur 53 which references the drinking problems, etc.
    https://cafans.b-cdn.net/images/Cate...0/exc53_28.jpg
    Last edited by JB; 10-10-2022 at 06:21 PM.

Ah, the much derided Excalibur #53. Pretty art, ugly characterisation.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Ah, the much derided Excalibur #53. Pretty art, ugly characterisation.
    Yeah I'm not a big fan of Lobdell's Excalibur. I felt he took the characters too far off track and so he doesn't get a scan, just a link. LOL.

I'll be touching on Brian and Rachel switching places because part of her multiversal development is being reestablished now by Howard, but overall I can do without that run.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post

Then they fight until they realize they're on the same side, as young superheroes do. Then Arcade nabs them both. It's lovely.

EDIT: And oh yeah, there's a flashback of their time as roommates in Excalibur 53 which references the drinking problems, etc.
    https://cafans.b-cdn.net/images/Cate...0/exc53_28.jpg
    I'm loving these scans! Definitely need to get around reading those MTU issues by Claremont/Byrne...

Brian and Betsy meeting again after years apart:

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

It's crazy how Alan Moore's only significant Marvel work gave us such iconic features like Betsy's purple hair and the 616 universe designation.

He was simply on fire in those days. Everything he produced was fantastic, even his fanzine reviews were incredibly fun reading. This was before he became (imo) over-serious and pretentious, and finally just angry.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I'm loving these scans! Definitely need to get around reading those MTU issues by Claremont/Byrne...
    I legitimately devoured these stories. The characters were of course fleshed out in bigger ways by later writers but Claremont did a great job of portraying Brian as a new hero finding his legs. His Betsy was a bit damsel in distress but there were good nuggets there.

I love this scene, one of their many reunions and the start of the purple hair. I also loved how their meeting was prompted because of her early precog abilities which I wish were explored again.

Yes, Betsy (and Tom), the Moore years:

I thought the last bit, "wire... and sores, and lice. Tom, my head's full of screaming people... and one of them's me!" is a really chilling piece of writing from Moore, and he manages to do it without going into 'for mature readers' territory.

Yes, Betsy (and Tom), the Moore years:

I thought the last bit, "wire... and sores, and lice. Tom, my head's full of screaming people... and one of them's me!" is a really chilling piece of writing from Moore, and he manages to do it without going into 'for mature readers' territory.
    Yes with these pages! Moore gave us so much depth and his run with these characters was at times, as you say, chilling to the bone. Dark stuff without being over the top dark. Betsy was attacked psychically many times and I like to believe it helped strengthen her abilities.

Tom Lennox (I'll be diving into him and the other Psi-Division members), Special Executive... all amazing creations by Moore. Despite Special Executive actually turning out to be allies, they were a scary bunch. I remain obsessed with Fascination.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckystar. View Post
    Our first news: https://tinihoward.substack.com/p/be...aptain-britain

The book will move away from Krakoa and focus on the larger Marvel U. Which is a funny thing to say, Betsy has barely spent time on Krakoa properly.

Big thanks to Luckystar. for sharing this.

“How about Betsy Braddock: Captain Britain?” I suggested to my editors and pals over a particularly noodle-baking Zoom session. We’d tossed a lot of titles around, and I’m grateful to have a team of editors that will all drop and get on the phone when one of these creative challenges emerges.

I like it because it’s welcoming to new fans, fans who haven’t read a Captain Britain comic since the eighties, or fans who haven’t heard Betsy Braddock’s name since she wasn’t in her body. It’s a title that tells you what’s up, even if you haven’t read a Captain Britain comic since Betsy was Captain the first time.

We’re leaving Krakoa behind for a time, and heading Marvel Universe-ward, reuniting Betsy with her brothers Brian and Jamie and bringing along her girlfriend, Rachel Summers, the recently christened Askani. Vasco Georgiev is our artist and he’s bringing his bright, beautiful, gorgeous superhero style to Betsy’s new adventure, giving it a real neo-Alan Davis feel.
    While one of my wishes is to see more interaction between Betsy and the other X-Men, I'm okay with her spreading out into the larger MU. I love that her name is in the title of the book. The good news is the X-Men will always be there for her to return home, they're never going away. But this could allow her a chance to become a greater name across Marvel and eventually lead to some MCU love. Howard made it a point to have Otherworld wide open to Krakoa with the Siege Perilous, and one of my submitted questions to X Me Anything (hopefully my question is picked) was if and how the other X-writers would like to use Fort Krakoa and Otherworld. It's literally wide open to mutants and anyone can use it, meaning we may see Betsy show up in other books anyway.

In terms of the family and Rachel, I think it's great too. Rachel has been tossed around for too long and I'd like to see her in a strong position as co-protector of the multiverse. The Braddocks deserve more prominence as well and I can imagine bringing the family into the MCU. We already know "Agent Braddock" appeared in one of the Avengers movies - it could easily be Brian and then we have his mutant sister. It's perfect. And if they carry over Betsy being queer, even better.