Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

I want to introduce their father because there's one element to him that is of great importance to who the twins are. It's a little tricky to focus on that one element though because of several related interwoven pieces so please bear with me as I try to streamline things. In order to do this I'll also introduce one of their father's greatest inventions.

James Braddock Sr.

Former member of the Captain Britain Corps, Black Bishop of the Hellfire Club, and the scientist known as "Brother" who worked alongside "Father" and "Mother" at Weapon Plus in the World. We're going to put pins in most of that and just focus on his origin.

James was a brilliant scientist and he created an advanced computer, dubbed "Mastermind", which was housed in the basement of Braddock Manor. It was massive, pretty much the size of the entire basement. One night while James and his wife, Lady Elizabeth, were up late waiting for Brian to get home, James decided to tinker with the computer to kill time as it was having some issues. Brian was in college and that evening he was late because he was on a date and got caught up with the young lady inside of his car, if you know what I mean. Brian developed intense guilt about this because while his parents were in the basement, the computer became sentient and killed them! At the time, Brian thought it was an accident and they were electrocuted. He blamed himself because they never would have went down there had he arrived home on time.

After becoming Captain Britain, he would later find out the truth about the computer murdering his parents. He finds out because the computer became sentient and tried killing him too but luckily he defeated it. However, that's not the element I'm focusing on today but I figured I'd give some backstory.

After a very traumatic experience endured by Betsy in the Manor (I'll cover THAT another time too), Mastermind appears once again and understandably scares everyone. However he's benevolent now and has appeared to offer advice on how to handle what just happened to her and the family. He explains that it is his duty to maintain the Manor and it's environment. "I am a vast resource which has not been utilized. I must fulfill my primary function. I will renovate the Manor then I shall advise and direct you." Brian can't stand him because of what he did to their parents so as Mastermind begins to offer advice, Brian is like, "What the hell do you know?!"

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

That's the element right there! This is the moment the twins find out their father IS of Otherworld. They've visited before but they had no idea until now that their bloodline is literally of an Otherworldy magical origin. As you can see, Brian thought his costume granted him his powers, but it actually enhanced what already existed. And I know Tini has read these stories because she has referenced them several times.

Considering Betsy is about to spend much more time in Otherworld than she ever has before, I can't help but wonder if we'll see some concrete changes/additions to her powers, outside of the costume and actually what may be intrinsically present. Or some exploration into her magical origins in general. I'm hoping for both AND more backstory on James Sr. and his life on Otherworld before being sent to the 616.
    Last edited by JB; 10-14-2022 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    My favorite costume of Brian's is his modernized look from the MI13 book.

I love it because of how the flag tapers in with his body and the sleekness of it all. How the large amount of blue looks with his blonde hair. But what I love most is that his face and hair are free to serve the people. I prefer that over a mask or helmet, although understandably him being a knight for Arthur may require him to wear a helmet (if his costume is changed at all.)

I was happy that Betsy's CB helmet disappeared during KoX. That was probably my least favorite piece of her costume in Excalibur and I'd prefer for it to remain gone. Not only does her lavender/lilac hair look beautiful long and flowy, but she graced the covers of fashion magazines so I'd love an assortment of hair styles. Let's get her the mutant Jumbo Carnation of hair stylists and let's see her slay baddies with a severe high pony, or a tight side braid adorned with butterfly clips, or a sophisticated and classic updo like when she turned heads visiting the regents of Sevalith for tea in a couture vampiress gown.

Then she went on to dance a dance of swords with Death and her hair didn't move?! Can you take it? I cannot.
    I completely agree with you. I hope soon, if Marvel decides to leave Betsy as CB, that they giver a more sleek and agile looking costume. And yes! her face and hair should always be exposed. I also hopes she plays with her looks and hairstyles more like Emma does.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    I completely agree with you. I hope soon, if Marvel decides to leave Betsy as CB, that they giver a more sleek and agile looking costume. And yes! her face and hair should always be exposed. I also hopes she plays with her looks and hairstyles more like Emma does.
    Yes exactly! Seeing her switch up her looks regularly would be a lot of fun.

I love them.

I'm close with my siblings so I've always enjoyed their panel time together.

jwatson just posted a lovely Rogue in the Mr. and Mrs. X thread so I wanted to bring these over that they did for R&B.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    These two really are fun. Especially thinking of them combining the chronoskimming with Betsy telepathic power.

Should you decide to play with and sketch more of them and/or the family, I'd love to see them!

New article! Perfect timing with the Betsy and Rachel sketches.

Marvel's New Captain Britain Series Pairs Queer Love & Multiversal Antics
    https://screenrant.com/betsy-braddoc...es-multiverse/

Some highlights:

"... Marvel has announced a new Captain Britain series, featuring mutantkind's newest LGBTQ+ couple diving into interdimensional adventure. Spinning out from the events of this year's Knights of X limited series, Captain Britain is set to develop her fledgling romance with Askani gallivanting throughout the wider worlds of Marvel. Other familiar faces have been announced to accompany Betsy Braddock and Rachel Summers on their journey through Otherworld and beyond. Readers only have to wait a few short months before the action takes off in February 2023.

Betsy Braddock, formerly known as the X-Men's Psylocke, has held the title of Captain Britain since the opportunity was given to her in the 2019 volume of Excalibur. Betsy may not have settled into the role smoothly, but her new post was a fitting extension of mutantkind's newfound status quo on the island nation of Krakoa. As the X-Men renegotiated the status of mutants on Earth, Betsy as Captain Britain redefined and defended a new status quo for mutants in the mystical realms of Otherworld.

Captain Britain's Story Is Expanding Beyond The X-Men

The promise of a new Betsy Braddock book as she ventures heroically into the wider Marvel Universe with her girlfriend and brothers in tow is sure to excite fans of the new Captain Britain. The possibility of one of Marvel's newest queer couples having a multiversal journey together was teased in dialogue between Askani and Captain Britain near the end of Knights of X. This would be in line with many classic stories featuring Captain Britain, as the Captain Britain Corps is a multiversal entity designed to protect the Marvel Omniverse, and its headquarters lie in the center of Otherworld. The edge to this new series that adds special interest is the opportunity for Betsy to reintroduce herself as Captain Britain to the Prime Marvel Universe. Betsy's ties to the larger superhero community of Earth-616 rarely extend outside the X-Men. Just as being Captain Britain has allowed Betsy to redefine herself to readers after her confusing, decades-long body swap journey as Psylocke, Captain Britain's new series could be a useful vehicle to reestablish herself among her fellow Marvel superheroes.

For the first time in a long time, everything in Betsy Braddock's life is going her way. This does not mean her mystical frenemy Opal Luna Saturnyne is done plotting against her. Just as well, spending more time with her brother Jaime [sic] also implies that some wild happenings are heading Betsy's way. All these elements mean that Captain Britain's next adventures have more personal stakes than ever. As if this was not an exciting enough set up for a new limited series, getting one of Marvel's long awaited LGBTQ+ couples to develop their romance throughout the Marvel Multiverse and beyond is just icing on the cake.
    "

So much of what is said above is how I feel, especially, "the edge to this new series that adds special interest is the opportunity for Betsy to reintroduce herself as Captain Britain to the Prime Marvel Universe."
    She needs a new costume!

Jesus Saiz variant for Excalibur #14.

And my Felipe Massafera KoX #4 variant arrived last week. I don't collect many floppies anymore but this one is beautiful and I wanted to own it.

More stories and scans tomorrow!

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Jesus Saiz variant for Excalibur #14.

And my Felipe Massafera KoX #4 variant arrived last week. I don't collect many floppies anymore but this one is beautiful and I wanted to own it.

More stories and scans tomorrow!
    I also really love that KoX cover, Betsy's gear really gives me Australian armor vibes and Rachel also looks gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I also really love that KoX cover, Betsy's gear really gives me Australian armor vibes and Rachel also looks gorgeous.
    It really is such a beautiful cover and the glow from their powers is such a pretty touch. The purple family really is Betsy's color family and I'd love a costume paying homage to the Outback armor like the one Psyknight posted. One that can even transform into a bodysuit like Captain Marvel's look.

I think this thread needs more Violet Swan love.

Violet_Swan_(Earth-8311)_from_Excalibur_Vol_4_15.jpg

I wonder what powers our feathered beauty has. And does she also have a twin brother? Will she have a crossover with Spider-Ham? What shampoo does she use? Is it even a she?! So much potential and so much history to explore!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I think this thread needs more Violet Swan love.

Violet_Swan_(Earth-8311)_from_Excalibur_Vol_4_15.jpg

I wonder what powers our feathered beauty has. And does she also have a twin brother? Will she have a crossover with Spider-Ham? What shampoo does she use? Is it even a she?! So much potential and so much history to explore!
    Omg a Violet Swan/Spider-Ham one-shot crossover, yes. I love that they're from the same universe. You pose good questions.
    She (?) was part of the telepathic circuit circle to reach the Quiet Council so there's that, but is there more? Was she a supermodel? Has she ever contemplated purple feathers?

Animal representation is strong in the Corps. There's Violet Swan, a dragon (Captain Plumdragon), a dinosaur (Britannica Rex), a frog (Captain Amphibian), and an incredibly handsome purple fox. I need to know the fox.
    Last edited by JB; 10-17-2022 at 06:50 AM.

Picking up what Claremont, Friedrich, Lawrence, Thorpe (and others) had started, Alan Moore and Alan Davis reintroduced Brian and Betsy in some of the most critically acclaimed stories of their time. As a whole, it's my favorite run from the Braddocks' early years.

S.T.R.I.K.E. PSI DIVISION
    Alan Moore & Alan Davis

Last edited by JB; 10-17-2022 at 09:12 AM.

Stay tuned...

As I'm looking over these pages I'm haunted and blown away all over again. I'm posting them in doses to allow for time to digest, comment, ask questions, or refill a beverage.

Stay tuned...

As I'm looking over these pages I'm haunted and blown away all over again. I'm posting them in doses to allow for time to digest, comment, ask questions, or refill a beverage.
    I agree that these pages are haunting, terrifying even. You had the feeling the stakes were incredibly high... and they haven't even unleashed the Fury yet! Also love that they're showing Forbidden Planet in Soho/London as I was just there on Saturday