Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Carol : Ms Marvel or Captain Marvel ?

one of the greatest victims of the insufferable "politically correct" is surely Carol Danvers, who has been for decades the iconic character Ms Marvel and has been transformed in the anonymous Captain Marvel. What's your opinion about this ? A couple of days ago I would have thought that we have all the same opinion, that "politically correct" is unberable, but recently I've read words that I never thought to read in a forum of marvel fans, words such as "sexualization", "set up unrealistic standards" etc. all the classic things always said by those time wasters. Starting with Carol Danvers, we could talk about this argoument in general...

image hoasting

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

She was given the title "Ms." to reflect the progressive views of the feminist movement back in the 1970s. Some thought that was "insufferable" back then. Naturally, I am not surprised that adding "Captain" to the nomenclature sets off equal displeasure and outrage from some now.

I'm just glad that Monica Rambeau never went through any b/s when it came to the Captain Marvel name. Oh, wait....

Getting the Captain Marvel name was the best thing that happened to Carol in decades. Like JudicatorPrime said, at the time she was given the name Ms. Marvel, it was a feminist statement. Who could forget Gloria Steinem's Ms. Magazine?

But the culture shifted, and it just felt off for Carol. Nowadays, the Ms name works way better on a young character like Kamala Khan.

I choose option 3 Warbird. But seriously I have no problem whatsoever with Carol being Captain Marvel.

Extraordinary Member

Marvel is going to give Captain Marvel to someone...better her because of her history with Mar-Vell than someone else.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    She was given the title "Ms." to reflect the progressive views of the feminist movement back in the 1970s. Some thought that was "insufferable" back then. Naturally, I am not surprised that adding "Captain" to the nomenclature sets off equal displeasure and outrage from some now.

I'm just glad that Monica Rambeau never went through any b/s when it came to the Captain Marvel name. Oh, wait....
    OBVIOUSLY I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE LOOK. THE COSTUME. THE NAME IS NOT A GREAT PROBLEM... they could add captain or doctor, or Mrs or whetever, for me is just the same... the problem is what they have done to her look. That is the "politically correct" thing... I've even added a picture to clarify the point... my god... maybe it's my fault, I cannot write a good english...

Quote Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
    OBVIOUSLY I WAS TALKING ABOUT THE LOOK. THE COSTUME. THE NAME IS NOT A GREAT PROBLEM... they could add captain or doctor, or Mrs or whetever, for me is just the same... the problem is what they have done to her look. That is the "politically correct" thing... I've even added a picture to clarify the point... my god... maybe it's my fault, I cannot write a good english...
    No need to get upset and sorry but nothing in the OP came across as being about the costumes. If we're talking costumes I prefer her Ms. Marvel look.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maryjane View Post
    one of the greatest victims of the insufferable "politically correct" is surely Carol Danvers, who has been for decades the iconic character Ms Marvel and has been transformed in the anonymous Captain Marvel. What's your opinion about this ? A couple of days ago I would have thought that we have all the same opinion, that "politically correct" is unberable, but recently I've read words that I never thought to read in a forum of marvel fans, words such as "sexualization", "set up unrealistic standards" etc. all the classic things always said by those time wasters. Starting with Carol Danvers, we could talk about this argoument in general...

OP makes me think I've stumbled into the 1950s or into the MCU She-Hulk's Incelligencia site. Wake up dude! It's 2022.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    OP makes me think I've stumbled into the 1950s or into the MCU She-Hulk's Incelligencia site. Wake up dude! It's 2022.
    dude, I'm talking about the costume. A costume really beautiful for a female super hero has been changed with a new one that seems the costume of a man. So, DUDE, maybe it's you that really need to wake up, first because apparently you've some serious problems of understanding of the text; second, because you're defending a position that try to take women back in the 50s by covering them and make them appear less beautiful or sexy, like in the 50s... in 2022 I suppose we should go forward, not backward.

anyway, I have a suggestion for your problem. Read the text 3, 4, 5 times before writing your answer, answer only when you're sure you've understood the argoument, you'll see, doing so, in times your problem will surely disappear, or at last it will became less serious

Yeah, as iconic as that old costume is, it makes her a sex object. Not the woman of authority she's supposed to be. The Captain Marvel suit is much more appropriate. And Kamala took the thunderbolt emblem, but otherwise has a much more modest costume too. Times have changed.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Invincible Member

The black costume was designed by Dave Cockrum cuz he felt the John Romita suit was a costume malfunction waiting to happen. It actually was a more functional suit. And comparing it to suits in the late 70's by Red Sonja and Tigra, is actually more modest.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, as iconic as that old costume is, it makes her a sex object. Not the woman of authority she's supposed to be. The Captain Marvel suit is much more appropriate. And Kamala took the thunderbolt emblem, but otherwise has a much more modest costume too. Times have changed.
    sex object ? a woman can be sexy and can dress as she want. Are you a marvel fan or what ? I cannot understand all this obsession you seem to have about sex, sex object, sexualization and all that nonsense... with "fans" (come on, you're not a real fan ) like you, in five years we will have superheroines that fight crime dressed in a burka, so they are sure to not be "sexualized", or maybe superheroines will just be abolished, and we will have only men superheroes fighting crime nearly naked (for them apparently there is not this problem about "sexualization"), women will stay in the kitchen, where you and all the ones like you want them; this will be the only possible result if you don't stop saying and thinking all that nonsense.... . Ms Marvel's costume, as Gamora's, as Wanda's, as Moondragon's, etc. were fantastic becuse they were strong and because they were sexy too, I like them sexy, as I like men sexy in comic books.
    I really hope that John Byrne, Claremont, Peter David, Starlin will never read what some of their "supposed fans" have became. They have fought all their career against censorship, against "politically correct" and now they find some of their supposed fans that fight exactly to obatain censorship and politically coorect... a real disaster...

Uh, you know the men have been covering up too, right? Sam Wilson comes to mind. Used to have an open chest. His Captain America suit and his last Falcon suit cover everything except his head.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The black costume was designed by Dave Cockrum cuz he felt the John Romita suit was a costume malfunction waiting to happen. It actually was a more functional suit. And comparing it to suits in the late 70's by Red Sonja and Tigra, is actually more modest.
    Huh? They're both leotards?
    Last edited by Digifiend; 10-09-2022 at 03:07 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

The McKelvie costume is so good it almost singlehandedly got her a movie.

I enjoy her costume now. She has become a more prominent member of the Overall marvel universe. She has become a power house and a heavy hitter. I think her new costume reflects that and it is a good thing. it would be hard to take her as serious in the old costume and I like the old costume. But the newer costume gives her a look of respect and authority that the other costume just simply does not portray.

And Ms marvel (Kamala Khan) has the thunderbolt now and I would hate to see her lose it.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.