Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Was excluding Jessica Drew from Spider-Man's world a mistake?

I always felt that Jessica Drew should be a reoccurring ally in the pages of Spider-Man. Was it a mistake for the Spider-Woman writers to exclude Jessica Drew from Peter's world? Here is the link that talks about that theory

https://www.cbr.com/spider-woman-not...istake-marvel/

I say so was always weirded out by her appearances in these spider verse events cause I don't associate her with Spider-Man. she rocking the spider name so first thought someone may have is what her relationship with Spider man only to find out there's barely anything between them
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Considering none of the Spider-Women more directly connected with Spidey aside from Mayday actually benefited from it (And in Julia's case you can make a point she's having it worse than before, though that likely has partially to do with her becoming Madame Web back when Marvel seemed like they wanted Jessica as the only adult Spider-Woman), no, Jessica is losing nothing.

And hell, Mayday only got benefits from her Spidey, she'd likely get fucked over if she got closer to 616 Spidey.

Not like Darthfury78 will listen, he'll go back to parroting around here and in the Jessica thread that they should become more connected and that it's a mistake they aren't lol.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 10-11-2022 at 04:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    And in Julia's case you can make a point she's having it worse than before, though that likely has partially to do with her becoming Madame Web back when Marvel seemed like they wanted Jessica as the only adult Spider-Woman
    Julia becoming Madame Web was absolutely to her detriment because now she's literally been reduced to only ever showing up to talk about the Web of Life.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    Julia becoming Madame Web was absolutely to her detriment because now she's literally been reduced to only ever showing up to talk about the Web of Life.
    Julia become Madame Web was a detriment. At the some time, she could had been a mainstay as a reoccurring ally to Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Not like Darthfury78 will listen, he'll go back to parroting around here and in the Jessica thread that they should become more connected and that it's a mistake they aren't lol.
    The fact that Jessica's origin is unrelated to Peter is a huge plus. Unlike Silk and Ghost-Spider, Jessica's powers doesn't involved being bitten by a radioactive spider. Jessica's previous series could have had Spider-Man as a guest ally in her world for a story arc and vice versa. It's all about marketing the characters to bring more readers to the Spider-Woman series, in which the creative team had failed to use Spider-Man to their advantage that has nothing to do the the Web of Life or the spider-verse.

Julia Carpenter and Jessica Drew could easily become reoccurring guest allies of Spider-Man as often as Black Cat does. Even Batman has other reoccurring allies besides Cat Woman....
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 10-11-2022 at 10:38 AM.

Astonishing Member

You know something funny? When I was a kid, I knew very little about Jessica Drew or the other Spiderwomen, so I though maybe Jessica drew was like Spider-Man's sister.

Then it came Ultimate Universe, with the female clone of Peter (which kinda make her Peter's twin sister) named "Jessica Drew".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    You know something funny? When I was a kid, I knew very little about Jessica Drew or the other Spiderwomen, so I though maybe Jessica drew was like Spider-Man's sister.

Then it came Ultimate Universe, with the female clone of Peter (which kinda make her Peter's twin sister) named "Jessica Drew".
    Which made things all the more confusing. Bendis got lazy when he named Ultimate Universe Spider-Woman Jessica Drew...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Which made things all the more confusing. Bendis got lazy when he named Ultimate Universe Spider-Woman Jessica Drew...
    They clearly wanted to explore different things in the Ultimate Universe than the universe we all know. I mean, they turned MJ into DemoGoblin (a plot that wasn't resolved), Kraven into a werelion, Scorpion was another clone of Spider-Man, we had Carnage without Cletus Cassidy.... You get the idea.

Yeah, Ultimate Jessica wasn't 616 Jessica's counterpart. She's Ben Reilly's.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

They’ve never done anything interesting with her inside the Spider-family, so I would say NO to the OP.
    I prefer when they build on her own mythology without trying to forcefully connect her to Peter’s just because they have similar codenames.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    They’ve never done anything interesting with her inside the Spider-family, so I would say NO to the OP.
    I prefer when they build on her own mythology without trying to forcefully connect her to Peter’s just because they have similar codenames.
    The problem is Jessica's mythology is not exciting. I never felt that Jessica should be associated with Spider-Man because of their code names. Rather, their personalities compliment each other. Comic book sales is about marketing a production, which the Spider-Woman creative team hasn't done. Even the current Batwoman was unrelated to Bruce Wayne(pre-new 52 DC). Yet Batman and Batwoman worked well without the forced association. The same can be applied to Peter and Jessica by having them appear in each other's series as a guest, which Marvel hasn't do so far...

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    On the other hand, if she was still Spider-Woman (Or Arachne or whatever), she'd have to directly compete with Jessica, who took her place as an Avengers member, Gwen, who's basically the most popular Spider-Woman ever, and Cindy and Anya, who have niche fanbases and minority points, so Madame Web has a perk of making her not redundant.

But yeah, Madame Web **** caused a lot of sidelining, but I think her being isolated to the Spidey side hurt her more, 'cause Spidey is very much like Barry Allen in how others of the same kind get treated when he's around, it doesn't help that Spidey fans react to other Spiders like Barry fans react to other speedsters, meaning "He's less special with so many around", and too many times there are suggestions to kill them off just because.

In other words, I think the other Spiders should stay away from him, neither one benefits from the other much.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    Julia become Madame Web was a detriment. At the some time, she could had been a mainstay as a reoccurring ally to Spider-Man.

The fact that Jessica's origin is unrelated to Peter is a huge plus. Unlike Silk and Ghost-Spider, Jessica's powers doesn't involved being bitten by a radioactive spider. Jessica's previous series could have had Spider-Man as a guest ally in her world for a story arc and vice versa. It's all about marketing the characters to bring more readers to the Spider-Woman series, in which the creative team had failed to use Spider-Man to their advantage that has nothing to do the the Web of Life or the spider-verse.

Julia Carpenter and Jessica Drew could easily become reoccurring guest allies of Spider-Man as often as Black Cat does. Even Batman has other reoccurring allies besides Cat Woman....
    And just like clockwork lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    It's pretty awkward how Jackal is somehow connected with her, even if they haven't done much with that lol.

But yeah, a superficial connection is fine, but she has her own thing going on, and if anything, she has more of a connection with Wanda since High Evolutionary messed with both of 'em.

Ironically, one of Spidey's tie-in to Evolutionary War shows a bit of when Jessica was living in Wundagore, and it's even there that it's confirmed that Jessica, Wanda and Pietro briefly lived there at the same time (Though they didn't meet):

(Web of Spider-Man Annual#4).
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Kind of, but I always viewed the Carnage symbiote as Ben Reilly. He was created out of Peter's DNA by a scientist named Ben Reilly who named it "Little Ben," and ended up getting tossed in the smokestack in the end. Jessica was definitely filling Ben's role and had a scarlet uniform, though, so I guess they both kind of were.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

When I read Bendis' Avengers I thought that Jessica and Peter had fun chemistry together and wanted to see more of that. The New Avengers novel even mentions that Jessica had a crush on Spider-Man. I don't think they should be connected in a sense of Jessica is a huge part of the Spider-Man mythos but I like the idea of Spider-Man being one of the first superheroes Jessica meets along with the passing of the name thing.

If we're going to have any spider person be more connected to Spider-Man's world how about Miles Morales? That kid is the closest thing 616's gonna have to a son man. I yearn for the day when Miles and Peter have the same writer so their comics can be more interconnected.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Regardless of that, I'm still hoping she gets brought back someday...

Last edited by K7P5V; 10-13-2022 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Corrected Grammatical Errors.