Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Immortal X-Men #7 - Review/Spoilers. "Let's catch up, evil stepmom."

I fell in love with Kurt all over again with JD #5 and now I've fallen deeper.
    But WOAH. I suspect the comments may be very active.

We open with the preview pages as the QC meets and Nightcrawler is trying his best to be positive about the situation. It's his issue and he's narrating throughout. The Zombie Celestial hasn't made its final judgment yet. Kurt thinks they'll pass, Shaw disagrees and wants to wager on it. He also thinks if they fail they can take the Celestial down. Emma wants to wager on that. Charles tells everyone to knock it off. Raven notes that Irene is being quiet. She's quiet because she's petrified.

They fail and the sky lights up red. "Pay up", says Shaw. They discuss various plans for war, evacuation, etc. Irene interjects every now and then, shaking her head or just shaking in general. Sinister suggests churning out as many Magneto clones as they can, disrespecting Erik's wishes and legacy. Kurt is disgusted with him (so am I) and he thinks that maybe the world deserves failing and everyone dying. But he will never accept that. The QC disperses with no solid plan, Kurt left standing in the middle alone. He turns his attention to Irene who is walking away with Raven, and thinks there's something she's not sharing with the group. He teleports Irene away from Raven and into the air.

"Irene... let's catch up, evil stepmom." He wants to know what she's not telling the QC but she won't say, telling him she knows he won't kill her. He reminds her that she can only see probable futures and bamfs her several times almost hitting the ground. She gets the point and tells him there's a chance but "the path is narrow and uncertain" and she's afraid to follow it. With a smile, he offers to walk with her every step of the way. They now have a plan.

He arrives at the rubble that is the Treehouse in Central Park where Captain America and Jada are talking, bones and debris everywhere. Data page of a propaganda flyer he picks up that was carried by protestors, made by Orchis which fanned the flames of anti-mutant hate. It's a bunch of rubbish. He tosses it aside and tells Cap the plan. Cap agrees and they shake on it. Kurt needs to bamf about a thousand times to get to the North Pole. One minute into the trip he takes a blood sample from Cap (who looks like he's trying not to puke). One minute later Illyana appears midair and takes the sample. They reach ZC, Cap gives his speech, they are killed.

Kurt emerges from a resurrection egg and tells us that this time he had Charles back him up live so he can remember everything. He'll always remember the trauma of this death. As we know from Judgment Day #5, the uniting of the world doesn't work and we get another look at some of the gruesome deaths of the heroes at the hands of ZC. Time for plan B.

We're on Krakoa and Hope is asking the people of Krakoa for volunteers. Krakoa is about to be destroyed and they will evacuate many but per Destiny, they need one in ten to stay to trick the Celestial. Hands in the crowd go up, more than one in ten. I'd guess Hellion didn't volunteer. Hope promises to try to bring them all back, that she won't rest, and she gets emotional. It's a beautiful page. Egg is told he has to be sacrificed. He doesn't want to die but Destiny said it has to be him, one of the Five has to stay. Sinister makes a joke and Kurt lunges at him, threatening him if he makes one more joke.

Raven and Irene are holding each other, Raven asking why they have to stay and die too. Irene tells her the prophet must die or ZC will know prophecy was followed. Irene tells her to close her eyes as Krakoa burns.

Sinister sneaks away to his Moira clone chamber as he's ready to reset the timeline and try to survive JD next time. But his big turtle (?) computer is unable to upload the data from his mind. It says "Upload failed" over and over again. Sinister gives up, saying he'll have to try next time blind. He aims a rifle at a Moira clone and pulls the trigger. Klik klik klik. It won't fire! Now we're at the Avengers Mansion where Judgment Day #5 ended.

Be still my heart, and my other things.

Data page of the current status of things. Mission One: Fail-Safe Activation - Jean and the others are working on activating the fail-safe inside the Progenitor as we know. Mission Two: Life Preservation - All forces are mobilized to try and save as many people on the Earth as possible. Mission Three: Delay Destruction - If the Progenitor forces the Earth-A.I., the "Machine", to self-destruct, it's all over. They must find ways to help the Machine resist the order. This A.I. is their only hope.

This is where it gets wild and I can't even properly describe it, I got goosebumps. Kurt emerges from an egg in the Avengers kitchen. Proteus gives him clothes. We learn that Charles has again been live updating Kurt because it's critical that he remembers as much as possible. Kurt runs straight into a gate that takes him to the Marauder's ship where Magik is waiting in a chamber with several stepping disks. As Kurt runs into the chamber he tells her to "open the spread 37 meters forward from the last" and leaps into a disk, appearing on the Orchis Forge near the sun. HE'S BEEN DYING AND RESURRECTING AT RAPID SPEED, remembering every detail, to get him exactly where he needs to be. Nimrod and Moira are waiting for him but this time, after so many deaths, he times his leap just right and touches Nimrod's head with his fingertips and teleports his AI brain away, causing Nimrod to freeze for a moment. It's enough time for him to grab Moira and tell her the Progenitor is going to destroy the Orchis Forge in 20 minutes... actually 2 to 3 minutes due to the time they wasted killing him over and over again. Moira immediately leaves with him in an escape pod and asks him, "Why not just message us, you little blue @%$!"

I'll let the last page speak for itself.

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Hands down the best issue of Immortal. Nightcrawler is one of the greatest heroes of all time. And Destiny did a fantastic job guiding the whole thing.
    All of this and a naked goopy Rogers? I'm so full right now.
    Last edited by JB; 10-12-2022 at 06:43 AM.

Ooooh. Kurt and Moira ! Will she remember he threatened to break her antique chair ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Hands down the best issue of Immortal. Nightcrawler is one of the greatest heroes of all time. And Destiny did a fantastic job guiding the whole thing.
    Nightcrawler rocks. Loved this issue. Really strong.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Nightcrawler was awesome in this. I like him written by Gillen.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I loved this issue so much! Nightcrawler being live resurrected, remembering every detail of his deaths and brushing it off to jump right back into the fire! He is indeed one of the greatest heroes and this issue has done a fantastic job at putting his heroism on full display.

You're right about Hellion. He would raise his hand, but he has none.

Thanks, Hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Did they use a panel from another comic instead of re-drawing the scene or am I mis-remembering?
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    100% agreed. Gillen took him to a whole other level.

Quote Originally Posted by Proxy View Post
    I loved this issue so much! Nightcrawler being live resurrected, remembering every detail of his deaths and brushing it off to jump right back into the fire! He is indeed one of the greatest heroes and this issue has done a fantastic job at putting his heroism on full display.
    This may be one of my favorite issues ever. For anyone not reading Immortal, this is the one to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Did they use a panel from another comic instead of re-drawing the scene or am I mis-remembering?
    Looks like the scenes are similar but indeed different between this and Judgment Day #5.

I'm sure everyone will nitpick the plot ("Why didn't they just have [character] do [feat] instead of [what happened]") but I thought this issue was fantastic. Gillen was in peak form, Kurt got a beautiful spotlight showing -- ironically enough this one issue was better than all of Way of X. One of my favorite issues ever, hands down!

Mighty Member

This was an excellent issue. I loved Gillen's take on Kurt and I love Kurt.

One thing I liked is how Kurt wasn't a goody two-shoes, but was allowed to get violent, lose his temper and trick people. I like when Kurt is well-rounded
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

This was very very good. Also a clever explanation for why they had Steve's DNA, though it means they must be using other means to bring back everyone else, so the theory that somehow the Eternals resurrection will do it.

Question is, that method kills humans to revive Eternals, so how would it work reviving...however many people are dead now? Several million?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    One thing I liked is how Kurt wasn't a goody two-shoes, but was allowed to get violent, lose his temper and trick people. I like when Kurt is well-rounded
    Same he used his rage and anger to keep pushing forward. That's powerful character growth