Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Gambit (2022) #4 by Chris Claremont Review **spoilers**

First time doing this but I enjoyed the issue and didn’t see a thread for it

Starts out with Remy, ‘Ro, Marissa, and her mom out on a river boat cruise. Stealing laughing and having a good time

Marissa and Remy seem to be in love. ‘Ro is talking like 90s Jubilee and Marissa’s mom Gabriela is just relaxing.

After robbing the boat of rich folks we see the 4 of them delivering needed goods to the poor in a Robin Hood move.

Remy also returns the necklace to one of the women he stole from on the boat. Guess Remy can’t steal from people he likes.

They then get in the car where they are driving down to Alabama to meet up with Lily Cheney. Remy says she’s an old friend and she is going to help Marissa get new armor. Assuming from the same place Remy got his from.

‘Ro notices Remy always looking behind as if someone seems to be following them. Remy keeps playing it off as nothing but he’s clearly spooked.

While stopped ‘Ro goes back into Dreamland with Gabriella. Gabriella’s hands seem to develop a fire power in one hand and a healing power in the other. Possible symbolism or preview of things to come

When they arrive in Huntsville Alabama for Lila’s concert Remy’s spidey sense goes off again as he feels danger close by. Remy gets interrupted by Lila Cheney surprising him with a huge kiss right in front of Marissa. She asks Remy where he’s been.

She is being very playful and says she is just teasing. Lila says any friends of Remy is a friend of hers.

Lila transports Marissa away to get a suit like Remy’s.

We then see what has been causing Remy to feel so uneasy. Bounty and Solarz are at the concert trying to get their hands on Lila.

While walking Solarz is approached by bounty hunters who say Bounty is their rival and they want Solarz to help them capture Lila. Solarz agrees

Bounty ambushes Remy and gives him a pretty good beating at first. She even flirts with Remy throughout the fight but Remy says he’s with Marissa.

Marissa and Lila return back to Earth with Marissa’s new armor. Lila warns it will protect against big hits, not close small ones

Remy manages to turn the tables on Bounty and paralyze her using pressure point moves. And says only he can unlock it. He will only do it if Bounty stops chasing him and his friends and Lila. However Bounty manages to break out of the paralysis through sheer strength. But she does agree to not hunting Lila, Remy, or them on Earth. She will still chase them off of earth though . Remy agrees.

The two of them laugh together and Bounty offers to buy Remy a drink but she says someone stole her wallet. Remy says “my treat then” and shows her purse from inside his coat.

Meanwhile Marissa goes out looking for Remy and instead runs into the rival bounty hunters. Solarz sneaks up behind her and stabs her in the chest with a knife, something the armor can’t protect against

Overall the best issue of the series so far. A lot more Gambit focus which I’m happy about. Loved seeing Lila but we are still not sure how this impacts what happened in X-men #276 when it’s clear both Gambit and Lila were there but didn’t seem to know each other.
    Last edited by Gripstir; 10-12-2022 at 01:49 PM.

I reread UX 273-276 to find out how Lila and Remys scenes play out. Beyond in 276 they don’t really speak with each and both those times Deathbird and Jubilee are present. I can buy the idea that Remy and Lila talked before this and kept their previous relationship hushed to protect both of their current jobs. He also replies to her amazement on how he can dodge all those bullets “by training hard, don’t you know?”. Witch can be interpreted many ways but it works in a new way if we know they already know each other from before.

I really liked this issue. Gave us a lot of classic and cool Gambit moments. Really, people wondering how to write him should read this.

I missed some big explosions but that was pretty much all that I didn’t like.

Loved Lila popping in. She and Remy had great chemistry.

Mighty Member

I like how it highlighted his skills without saying. Instead by showing. I liked how as a thief he is more adept at reading the surroundings and sensing when somethings off. I don’t think that’s a power thing i think it’s just him being a thief. But this was the first time in the series where it felt Gambit could do things no one else in the group could.

And the fun energy both Lila and Bounty brought to the issue with Remy is great too!

This should be required reading for anyone that writes Gambit. Almost near perfect characterization. What I loved best was the classic Gambit where he makes some opening Gambit only for it to be revealed later that he was setting up a winning move.

Early on in his fight with Bounty he is taking a beating ans you are worried this is going to be another instance of him being written as a chump only to realize he was getting Bounty overconfident and then when she overextend on an attack, Gambit capitalizes.

The only downside was you sort of knew coming in that things were unlikely to end well for Marissa given she and Gambit have never crossed paths again since he joined the X-men.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Really like it. Although we still don’t know who specifically made the suite. Hope we find out but if not no biggie another mystery for the future. And like Gripstir mentioned I really liked Remy’s 6th sense, would be cool if it was added to his charm power which may have been in effect seeing as how he’s going out for drinks with someone who 10 minutes early wanted to off him.

Another solid issue for characterization. I especially dug the first half on the riverboat and Claremont taking the time to show Remy's cleverness, but also that being a thief doesn't mean he's a PETTY thief. It irks me when writers don't get this nuance. He's not stealing for his own wealth or because he can't help himself, but for the thrill and challenge. Also that he has his own moral code and gives most of the take to those who need it. It's all very Robin Hood.

Still not feeling overly invested in the "where does the suit come from" part of this story, but it was great to see Lila however briefly. I think Marissa's suit is by far uglier and even more illogical and impractical than Remy's. So the point feels rather moot to me. Also, things look dire for Marissa. Given she is obviously not in the picture when Remy joins UXM, I can't imagine this ending bodes well for her.

The character and villain parade has been maybe a bit crowded for my taste throughout this series. Kind of feels like Remy moved past Bounty rather quickly only to reveal yet another new bounty hunter group now for the final showdown. It's all very standard Claremont writing tics though.

This probably won't end up being my favorite Gambit solo, but it's still solidly in the top half.
    Last edited by AppleJ; 10-12-2022 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AppleJ View Post
    Another solid issue for characterization. I especially dug the first half on the riverboat and Claremont taking the time to show Remy's cleverness, but also that being a thief doesn't mean he's a PETTY thief. It irks me when writers don't get this nuance. He's not stealing for his own wealth or because he can't help himself, but for the thrill and challenge. Also that he has his own moral code and gives most of the take to those who need it. It's all very Robin Hood.

Still not feeling overly invested in the "where does the suit come from" part of this story, but it was great to see Lila however briefly. I think Marissa's suit is by far uglier and even more illogical and impractical than Remy's. So the point feels rather moot to me. Also, things look dire for Marissa. Given she is obviously not in the picture when Remy joins UXM, I can't imagine this ending bodes well for her.

The character and villain parade has been maybe a bit crowded for my taste throughout this series. Kind of feels like Remy moved past Bounty rather quickly only to reveal yet another new bounty hunter group now for the final showdown. It's all very standard Claremont writing tics though.

This probably won't end up being my favorite Gambit solo, but it's still solidly in the top half.
    I think this will turn out to be an undervalued mini that we later look back at with fondness. It's not perfect by any means but it has really fun and kinetic art, solid characterisation and plenty of charm.

Spectacular Member

I really liked this issue. The story was great. However the art had some problems. Especially the last page felt really rushed and bad. Other than that a solid issue

Fantastic Member

I like the battle with Bounty and Gambit, this is definitely the Gambit of 90s the we are missing today.

Mighty Member

the thing with Marissa that I’m kinda weird about is her fighting personality reminds me a bit too much of Rogue and I think it kinda cheapens the Rogue/Gambit quality where Remy never met someone like Rogue before. But Marissa is the tough as nails sassy kind of girl, who also apparently plays poker just as good as Remy and now is rocking Gambit type armor. Marissa feels like an amalgamation of both Rogue and Gambit and idk how to feel about that

The alien suit thing is not a piece of Gambit lore I necessarily want and he certainly doesn’t need it. Let’s not add another layer of convoluted weirdness to the tale. Doing something more character building for Remy would have been a better choice, like what he’s doing with Ro.

I hope there is a more creative spin on the Gambit/Marissa relationship ending, not involving her getting fridged. He’s got enough dead girls in his story, that is not the character building I want to see again. Her mom will heal her, then maybe convince Marissa this lifestyle is not a great idea.

But the flirt/fight was perfect.

This issue was a lot of fun! Lil Ro was feisty and observant. Loved the parts with Lila Cheney and her newfound connection to Gambit. Plus, I enjoyed the fight with Bounty and how Gambit handled the situation. My only minor disappointment would be Gambit not really getting to use his explosive powers in any meaningful way.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    I hope there is a more creative spin on the Gambit/Marissa relationship ending, not involving her getting fridged. He’s got enough dead girls in his story, that is not the character building I want to see again. Her mom will heal her, then maybe convince Marissa this lifestyle is not a great idea.
    I could not agree more with all this!

Wonder if the Marissa situation will be what pushes Gambit to join the X-men. One door closes and another opens.
    It's hard for me to listen to someone not in my position. A caterpillar can't relate to what an eagle envisions.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gripstir View Post
    Oooh i'm going to go read this now. Love this page, the artist really hit the right nail with that panel of gambit looking like he's actually being charmed.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/