Spectacular Member Obeythemoderators's Avatar

Default Would you like Batman even if he never had any media adaptations

I am just asking because so much of what we think of as Batman is not from the medium that he originated from. From the Batcave and even possible Alfreds more lanky figure to Bat-Girl and Harley Quinn. I know that some addition are not populare such as monster Penguin and the Joker having Jack Napier as an official real name but regardless Batman would not be the same if not for other medium then the printed paper. Same can not be said about other comic book characters, I mean I do not remember Miranda Wilson ever showing up in Spider-Man after 1994-1998 show and Tony Stark has not been turned into a teenagers in printed media as far as I know.
    Last edited by Obeythemoderators; 10-14-2022 at 11:20 AM.

I would still like him because most of the media with him in it I do not enjoy. I liked Adam West Batman and the Batman Animated series and that world but most of my enjoyment of him comes from the comics. And to be honest I dont really care for Harley Quinn much so that part I dont care for.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Retired

I'll give you Alfred's appearance changed so he looked more like William Austin from the 1943 BATMAN serial, but the character was introduced in the comics first.

The T.V. producers wanted a Batgirl for the T.V. series, so Gardner Fox and Carmine Infantino created Barbara Gordon--but she was introduced first in the comics.

The bulk of Batman lore was introduced in the comics first. Maybe as other media adaptations have increased since 1989, there's a greater influence from them. But I still think that Batman is almost completely a creation of the comic books.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I would still like him because most of the media with him in it I do not enjoy. I liked Adam West Batman and the Batman Animated series and that world but most of my enjoyment of him comes from the comics. And to be honest I dont really care for Harley Quinn much so that part I dont care for.
    This is the same for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Obeythemoderators View Post
    ..so much of what we think of as Batman is not from the medium that he originated from.From the Batcave and even possible Alfreds more lanky figure to Bat-Girl and Harley Quinn.
    Other media has helped Batman comics for the better in some limited aspects, but I figure I'd still love the Batman comics a lot.

It's a more difficult hypothetical than one thinks, imagining our Batman comics without all our media...I'd probably love Batman's hypothetical HQ the "Bat-castle" (first shown in the Batman dailies on March 15, 1945 and featured in the alternative hypothetical and nonexistent Batman (1976) starring Burt Reynolds) because I saw that in that world's media. My point is: Whatever hypothetical universe with whatever Batman media would probably make us love those conventions/elements of that different hypothetical set of Batman comics.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 10-13-2022 at 07:28 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'll give you Alfred's appearance changed so he looked more like William Austin from the 1943 BATMAN serial, but the character was introduced in the comics first.

The T.V. producers wanted a Batgirl for the T.V. series, so Gardner Fox and Carmine Infantino created Barbara Gordon--but she was introduced first in the comics.

The bulk of Batman lore was introduced in the comics first. Maybe as other media adaptations have increased since 1989, there's a greater influence from them. But I still think that Batman is almost completely a creation of the comic books.
    To be honest I think the only really populare Batman things since 1989 to not influence the comics that much would be the Arkham Games and the Schumacher films, as with the exception of Nightwings new costume with the singel red bird on it and all the villains getting bigger muscles then before in the comic series the Dark Knight(not to be confused with the movies) although this time for being devoided of fear as opposed to the titan serum, those two media adaptation have not changed the comics to any large extense.

Probably not to the same level. I watched the Batman cartoon from the 2000s which introduced me to the character but it was Nolan's films and the Arkham games that made him one of my favorites. Not sure I'd have that same level of investment without those adaptations

Kind of a weird question for me because I entirely got into Batman and comics in general through the cartoons.

Retired

I got into the comics because of the BATMAN 1966 T.V. show. But the process of understanding the difference between live action and drawings on paper were part of my developing interest in comic books as its own art form, that is completely separate from other art forms like cinema, stage opera, live theatre, sculpture in the round, studio albums. These are different forms of expression and they all have their own rules and they each entertain us in completely different ways. Comic books don't deserve to be subordinate to any other medium.

All-New Member

I feel like logically, I would not know batman if he did not appear in other media. But if I were to find out about him-- I feel as if I would still love him and push for him to have appearances in other forms of media.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Comics > movies

Also, do you mind if I ask why you have the Heaven's Gate guy as your avatar?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Kind of a weird question for me because I entirely got into Batman and comics in general through the cartoons.
    same here.

If I had not seen Batman in cartoons (and, of course, Adam West), then I would not have had any interest in reading Batman comics.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    same here.

If I had not seen Batman in cartoons (and, of course, Adam West), then I would not have had any interest in reading Batman comics.
    Yeah, same boat here. If not for Adam West Bats and BATS, I wouldn't know Batman comics exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Comics > movies

Also, do you mind if I ask why you have the Heaven's Gate guy as your avatar?
    I hope I won't get banned for admitting this but this is not the first forum I have been on. So to stay on here I decided to create a reminder of how if I won't to stay I better obey the moderators as if they were my cult leaders.

Quote Originally Posted by Obeythemoderators View Post
    I hope I won't get banned for admitting this but this is not the first forum I have been on. So to stay on here I decided to create a reminder of how if I won't to stay I better obey the moderators as if they were my cult leaders.
    It's really simple, if you stick to nice civil discussion, then our beloved messianic moderators won't buy you a new pair of Nikes and make you ingest phenobarbital and wash it down with vodka.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 10-14-2022 at 06:29 AM.

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    If not for Adam West Bats and BATS, I wouldn't know Batman comics exist.
    You know, the way I see it, we really don't know that, that we wouldn't (for our entire lifetimes) know Batman comics exist or read them. That's an alternate history and we really don't know if we would have (or not) come to Batman comics some other way.

Moments like Death of Superman/Knightfall/Dark Knight Returns drew casual or non-readers to Superman or Batman comics in a way that wasn't necessarily connected to any specific non-comic media, and so some of us might have hit upon comics that way.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 10-14-2022 at 06:02 AM.