• SIDEKICK #8

0 0%
  • SOUTHERN BASTARDS #4

15 55.56%
  • TECH JACKET #3

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Image Comic of the Week Sep 3/14 - Southern Bastards #4, Nailbiter #5, Elephantman #59

Last Week's Winner

Saga smashed our polls last week picking up a massive 17 votes to secure top spot. It's the most votes for any comic to date since the inception of our weekly poll. Readers really enjoyed this issue as it may be a turning point with this series moving forward. Jim Zub and Steve Cummings Wayward #1 debuted with a very respectable 8 votes for second place. It would've been our comic of the week had it not been for Saga week, excellent debut issue. Lots of great titles last week in comparison to this week, today is the slowest day all year from Image. Employees at Image were probably too distraught from the death of Wolverine they only released 9 monthly titles today. Among them is the first issue of Ryan Browne's God Hates Astronauts. First released as a trade as a kickstarter project, Image has now picked up the title for an ongoing series.

"RYAN BROWNE's (THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS, BEDLAM) farcical cult-sensation returns with a new story perfect for new readers!

A NASA funded group of arrogant "super people" must stop a rash of farmers that have been using rocket-powered silos to launch themselves into outer space! As these Astro-Farmers fire themselves all over the galaxy, NASA must utilize their every resource (a guy with a ghost-cow head, a bunch of magic bears, and a Chicago cop with robot arms) to avoid an intergalactic incident!"

LOL! Could be a new cult classic.

New This Week

Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 09-03-2014 at 11:37 AM.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

I'm really interested in God Hates Astronauts.

GHA gets my insta-vote. It's just that good.
    Epic things: "TOPANGA" (GHA), Jaxson & Zefferson (PRO), Lucas (SHEL)

All-New Member

Southern Bastards for me. I've been considering it my favorite book of 2014, but wanted to wait for the first arc to finish. Got the issue, yeah this is my favorite series to come out this year.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

I also picked Southern Bastards, and will agree that it could be my favorite new series of 14. Really awesome stuff.
    "The more 'realistic' superheroes become the less believable they are." - David Mazzucchelli

As good as GHA and Nailbiter were this week, Southern Bastards was just on another level. Had to read the issue a few times to register what happened, it was that gripping.

I keep hearing really great things about Southern Bastards, I'm just a little cloudy on what it's all about.

Didn't pick up anything this week, but next week promises to be good with Copperhead #1, Lazarus, East of West, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Davenex View Post
    As good as GHA and Nailbiter were this week, Southern Bastards was just on another level. Had to read the issue a few times to register what happened, it was that gripping.
    I take back what I said about this being a slow week. I picked up GHA, Nailbiter and Southern Bastards this week, as well as the first two volumes of Skullkickers OHC (from Amazon) and my complete set of Five Ghosts (from Ebay) all arrived yesterday. Also a bunch of stuff from a few different publishers. I still have Southern Bastards to read before I vote but seriously everything I've read this week has blown me away. GHA and Nailbiter were awesome, I almost insta voted for GHA, I loved it that much LOL, but then again Nailbiter was really good as well.

I just want to say a few things. First I LOVE Image so much. The first issue of GHA has 29! pages of story for the same monthly price of $3.50. So much talk lately from the comics community about how expensive comics are and Image does it again and again routinely releasing their first issues oversized while keeping prices the same or low. I really noticed it when I was reading it along with some IDW titles that featured only 20 pages of story. It felt really short and I never knew how much that bugged me. So kudos for Image.

I'm really enjoying the heck out of Nailbiter. It had a subject matter that I had no interest in before but seeing how it was our comic of the week and some good reviews, I decided to give it a shot. I'm pleasantly surprised how good this book is, it's so underrated. If there ever was a title that will be optioned for TV, I'm sure this would be it. Excellent story and art, really great stuff. Amazing cliffhanger this week.

I'll chime back in after I'm done reading Southern Bastards, but I don't know guys. I'm giving GHA and Nailbiter a perfect 10/10 so far, they took my breath away
    Last edited by Groo Odyssey; 09-04-2014 at 11:27 AM.
    Anne Bonnie, Princess Ugg, Five Ghosts, Saga, Rat Queens, Groo, Goon, Usagi Yojimbo, Sixth Gun, Wasteland, Courtney Crumrin, Jonah Hex, Walking Dead, Manifest Destiny, God Hates Astronauts, Spread, Fearless Dawn, Nailbiter, Copperhead, Stray Bullets, Birthright, Bone, Lazarus

Elephantmen for me. Their HR Geiger tribute was just...wow. So appropriately disturbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Groo Odyssey View Post
    I'm really enjoying the heck out of Nailbiter. It had a subject matter that I had no interest in before but seeing how it was our comic of the week and some good reviews, I decided to give it a shot. I'm pleasantly surprised how good this book is, it's so underrated. If there ever was a title that will be optioned for TV, I'm sure this would be it. Excellent story and art, really great stuff. Amazing cliffhanger this week.

I'll chime back in after I'm done reading Southern Bastards, but I don't know guys. I'm giving GHA and Nailbiter a perfect 10/10 so far, they took my breath away

I'm keen to see what you think of this weeks southern bastards, this wasn't a title on my pull list buy my local comic store had all the issues so I picked them up to see what the fuss was about and now I'm just anticipating the next chapter of this epic.

If you enjoy nailbiter and want to see something similar I would suggest checking out the Hannibal show on NBC, has a very similar vibe to nailbiter.
    Black Science, Copperhead, Deadly Class, East of West, The Fade Out, Five Ghosts, Ghosted, Injustice, Invincible, Lazarus, Manifest Destiny, Nailbiter, Outcast, Saga, Southern Bastards, Spread,The Walking Dead, Wayward, XO Manowar

Just finished reading Southern Bastards, OMG.

That was totally unexpected, WOW. I'm so torn, I want to throw a vote in for GHA and Nailbiter because I thought the issues was perfect. I was all set to hate on GHA thinking it would let me down but it put a smile on my face for the entire 29 pages, that's hard to do. Nailbiter with another great issue, the best so far. However, Southern Bastards was clearly the best issue this week. What a great week for Image. I thought it was going to be a throwaway week but instead it's one of the best weeks I can ever remember reading comics. Going to toss in my vote for Southern Bastards, what a riveting issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Davenex View Post
    I'm keen to see what you think of this weeks southern bastards, this wasn't a title on my pull list buy my local comic store had all the issues so I picked them up to see what the fuss was about and now I'm just anticipating the next chapter of this epic.

If you enjoy nailbiter and want to see something similar I would suggest checking out the Hannibal show on NBC, has a very similar vibe to nailbiter.
    I've seen the pilot for Hannibal a while back and it didn't grab me at first. I might have to revisit that series. Nailbiter grabbed me from the first issue and never let up and hasn't had a bad issue since. If this was a television show I would've been glued to my TV the whole way. What a fantastic series, something I was not expecting.

Didn't read anything from Image this week, but dang that Southern Bastards issue really must be something special huh? Lot of hype around it online, good reviews too. IGN Comics gave it a 10/10, which doesn't happen very often there if I'm correct.
    All the cool cats are reading CBR's Community Standards & Rules!

Amazing Member

Madame Frankenstein for me. I like the stark artwork, as well as comparing and contrasting it with Alex + Ada.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TotalSnorefest View Post
    Didn't read anything from Image this week, but dang that Southern Bastards issue really must be something special huh? Lot of hype around it online, good reviews too. IGN Comics gave it a 10/10, which doesn't happen very often there if I'm correct.
    It certainly was. Being a comic book reviewer, I got an advance copy and after I got over the shock, I knew that this was going to just shock everyone as well. It's one hell of an ending.