Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bill's speech about Superman in Kill Bill 2

Why do people assume that Bill's speech about Clark Kent being "Superman's critique on the whole human race" reflects Tarantino's own opinions on Superman? Tarantino has never said anything negative about Superman as far as I have seen and Bill is a villain who outright calls himself a "murdering bastard".

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Why do people assume that Bill's speech about Clark Kent being "Superman's critique on the whole human race" reflects Tarantino's own opinions on Superman? Tarantino has never said anything negative about Superman as far as I have seen and Bill is a villain who outright calls himself a "murdering bastard".
    Keep in mind these are generally the same people who don't like Superman to begin with.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Even if it is.Clark kent being caricature human...why is humanity above critique?are we gods or something?why shouldn't humanity be made fun of?You don't need to be perfect to make fun of something that you feel is irrational,stupid or even malicious.Let tell you, humanity ain't above these things..from personal experience.It's nice to be humble.

Also,clark kent with glasses is based on slapstick characters.Make of that what you will.And I don't know what's the opinion of Tarantino.Good or bad..People only think that's a bad take cause "an alien has the balls to mock the sacred concept that is humanity.."
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-13-2022 at 03:46 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

Why do people assume that Bill's speech about Clark Kent being "Superman's critique on the whole human race" reflects Tarantino's own opinions on Superman?
    No idea, Tarantino rarely inserts his own opinions into his characters dialogues, it's not how he works. Bill is saying this because Tarantino thinks this character would have that opinion if he really existed, not because Tarantino himself thinks so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Keep in mind these are generally the same people who don't like Superman to begin with.
    From my experience, it's the people who like Superman who think is Tarantino's opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Even if it is.Clark kent being caricature human...why is humanity above critique?are we gods or something?why shouldn't humanity be made fun of?You don't need to be perfect to make fun of something that you feel is irrational,stupid or even malicious.Let tell you, humanity ain't above these things..from personal experience.It's nice to be humble.

Also,clark kent with glasses is based on slapstick characters.Make of that what you will.And I don't know what's the opinion of Tarantino.Good or bad..People only think that's a bad take cause "an alien has the balls to mock the sacred concept that is humanity.."
    Not relevant to the thread.

I think just because Tarantino wrote the speech. It's like the Like a Virgin speech from Reservoir Dogs. I'm not saying Tarantino will go to his grave insisting on that interpretation of the song or anything, but it has to be a line of thought that occurred to him, or he wouldn't put it in his script.

My issue with Bill's speech is not that I think it's just Tarantino's opinion veiled by a script, but just that the Clark Kent he's talking about is only based on the Christopher Reeves movies, really. I don't really recall comics Clark ever being portrayed as particularly weak or bumbling.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

I always chalked that whole thing up to Tarantino being Tarantino. I was going to liken it to the whole "Like a Virgin" thing from Reservoir Dogs but I got beat to the punch.

Speaking of which, Madonna has said that that's not what the song is about, which I'm sure doesn't matter to Tarantino, what matters is the discussion itself. It would be funny if some Superman writer came out and talked about the Bill diatribe.

Frankly, what I take the most umbrage about the whole thing is when he says that Superman is not very well drawn. C'mon man, what comics has he been reading?
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

From my experience, it's the people who like Superman who think is Tarantino's opinion.
    why wouldn't anyone not think that's his opinion?it was written by him..There is no evidence to suggest contrary opinion other than the guy being "murdering basterd".Tarantino hasn't as far i know said otherwise.Villains, antagonists and any character can and do make valid points that doesn't mean they can't be bad or wrong or in a major way.

Based off some of his other works, I wouldn't be surprised if it was based off a conversation he had with one of his video store friends.

why wouldn't anyone not think that's his opinion?it was written by him...
    By this logic, all writers agree with their villains since they wrote that dialogue too.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    No idea, Tarantino rarely inserts his own opinions into his characters dialogues, it's not how he works. Bill is saying this because Tarantino thinks this character would have that opinion if he really existed, not because Tarantino himself thinks so.
    ^^^This is pretty much my opinion on the matter so, QFT.

By this logic, all writers agree with their villains since they wrote that dialogue too.
    They do sometimes,sometimes they agree partially and they don't other times.When i write something,every character will come from me and is some what of an extension of me and my personal experience at some level..

There was no reason to reference superman unless the writer didn't want to say something here..There are tons of non-human characters out there.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-13-2022 at 09:22 AM.

They do sometimes,sometimes they agree partially and they don't other times.
    So why are you so sure Tarantino agrees with Bill in this case?

There was no reason to reference superman unless the writer didn't want to say something here..There are tons of non-human characters out there.
    Superman is a popular character who is frequently referenced. That's it.

So why are you so sure Tarantino agrees with Bill in this case?

Superman is a popular character who is frequently referenced. That's it.
    Fine..i am not sure..i never said i did.I believe there is a chance he does. first post.As for superman fans,most i have seen believe it to be what Tarantino thinks..And they think it's "wrong".

Ok..why not wonder woman?