Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Default Marvel Star Wars Comics

I thought we had a thread on the comics, but the closest I found was on Jason Aaron's run so I figured I'd start a catch all thread for the various ongoing titles.

I just finished reading Star Wars #28, and while I thought it resolved the search for the Imperial defectors a little too quickly I have to say it was fun to see Luke on Coruscant in an Imperial Officer's uniform using his Jedi mind trick to infiltrate the search.

Anyone else reading these still?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Volume 2 of SW is the strongest title right now out of the main ongoings IMO although I haven't read that much of Bounty Hunters. Vader unfortunately I think has gone really overboard with the constant call-backs to the prequels, Aphra is kind of bland this volume IMO.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Volume 2 of SW is the strongest title right now out of the main ongoings IMO although I haven't read that much of Bounty Hunters. Vader unfortunately I think has gone really overboard with the constant call-backs to the prequels, Aphra is kind of bland this volume IMO.
    I didn't care for bounty hunters, and the crimson dawn storyline isn't the greatest but the main title has been solid. I didn't care for the last vol. of High Republic but the first issue of the new one set on Jedha was good though.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I've been enjoying it.

I think Soule does a decent job of writing the main SW cast and dealing with the repercussions of ESB and integrating Lando with the Rebels (poor Lobot). I'm curious to see when we get Lukes' green saber and they start building up to his wanting to redeem his father. I didn't like them having a fight in War of the Bounty Hunters, it felt too soon and unnecessary.

I'm really invested in Valance's journey and curious to see what's next for him, although the story with the crime boss daughter just feels like it's padding the plot out. I will miss the Valance and Dengar bromance.

Aphra is just...Aphra's crazy hijinks. Honestly I sometimes wonder why people still give her the time of day, although I guess for the most part it's the people who want to get into her pants. It's nice to see the Tagge family back though.

There are a lot of flashbacks in Vader (then again there are plenty of ESB references in Soule's run) but I think Pak is doing a good job of depicting Vaders' emotional struggle while still being...well, Vader. And doing some prequel era follow-ups. Also Ochi as Vaders' hype-man is amazing.

I'm curious where all this Crimson Dawn stuff is going.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I've been enjoying it.

I think Soule does a decent job of writing the main SW cast and dealing with the repercussions of ESB and integrating Lando with the Rebels (poor Lobot). I'm curious to see when we get Lukes' green saber and they start building up to his wanting to redeem his father. I didn't like them having a fight in War of the Bounty Hunters, it felt too soon and unnecessary.

I'm really invested in Valance's journey and curious to see what's next for him, although the story with the crime boss daughter just feels like it's padding the plot out. I will miss the Valance and Dengar bromance.

Aphra is just...Aphra's crazy hijinks. Honestly I sometimes wonder why people still give her the time of day, although I guess for the most part it's the people who want to get into her pants. It's nice to see the Tagge family back though.

There are a lot of flashbacks in Vader (then again there are plenty of ESB references in Soule's run) but I think Pak is doing a good job of depicting Vaders' emotional struggle while still being...well, Vader. And doing some prequel era follow-ups. Also Ochi as Vaders' hype-man is amazing.

I'm curious where all this Crimson Dawn stuff is going.

Think the War of the Bounty Hunters stuff was mainly a dogfight between the X-wing and Vader's TIE, not quite as personal as the saber battles (Including the one which opened the comics in the first place, where they first meet face-to-face and Luke's lightsaber gives Vader a vital clue to his identity).

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

My favorite Marvel Star Wars series will always be the original one from 77-86.

Think the War of the Bounty Hunters stuff was mainly a dogfight between the X-wing and Vader's TIE, not quite as personal as the saber battles (Including the one which opened the comics in the first place, where they first meet face-to-face and Luke's lightsaber gives Vader a vital clue to his identity).
    Still a little too close for my liking...

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    My favorite Marvel Star Wars series will always be the original one from 77-86.
    It's kind of interesting in many ways because they were made as the films were coming out so they had to tread a bit carefully. After the movie adaptation, the Empire/Vader didn't really show up for a year, and Vader was largely sidelined by villains like the Tagge family.

Funny thing is they wound up largely anticipating ROTJ during Micheline's run in particular, with the Rebels befriending a 'cute' species (The Hoojibs) and facing a Death-Star style weapon (The Tarkin)-even infiltrating it disguised as a maintenance crew (Similar to Han's cover story for passing the shield in ROTJ).

Regarding the latest SW issue, the Rebellion now knows about DS II thanks to Luke.

Kind of contradicts the ROTJ opening crawl "Little does Luke know". Then again the opening scrolls do kind of exaggerate things....and there's nothing in the rest of the movie that states this is a surprise for Luke.

No Bothans yet, but it's important to remember that the actual dialogue in ROTJ points to Endor as it's location and that the Emperor is there as the Bothans's info, not the existence of the station itself. It's possible the DS was moved to Endor after the Crimson Dawn spies escaped, especially if it's existence is compromised.

Regarding the latest SW issue, the Rebellion now knows about DS II thanks to Luke.

Kind of contradicts the ROTJ opening crawl "Little does Luke know". Then again the opening scrolls do kind of exaggerate things....and there's nothing in the rest of the movie that states this is a surprise for Luke.

No Bothans yet, but it's important to remember that the actual dialogue in ROTJ points to Endor as it's location and that the Emperor is there as the Bothans's info, not the existence of the station itself. It's possible the DS was moved to Endor after the Crimson Dawn spies escaped, especially if it's existence is compromised.
    Eh, the work the spies were doing and the high security suggests the construction of the Death Star to me.

I think the original was moved around even while under construction. Starts at Geonosis, but it's not there in REBELS.

So it's possible the second was also moved around a bit, and of course it was a lot more fully along than the alliance was led to believe despite being only 75% complete from the looks of it. (We never really see either go through hyperspace)

Is anyone checking out the High Republic comics?

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Is anyone checking out the High Republic comics?
    I didn't care for the previous volume but this latest story on Jedha has been really good. The idea that there were other branches of Force users is really interesting and something I real hope gets explored more.

On the other end of the spectrum Hidden Empire was absolute dreck. It was just one giant exposition dump. How could an editor look at that and say, "Yeah, that's fantastic, don't change a thing."?

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I didn't care for the previous volume but this latest story on Jedha has been really good. The idea that there were other branches of Force users is really interesting and something I real hope gets explored more.

On the other end of the spectrum Hidden Empire was absolute dreck. It was just one giant exposition dump. How could an editor look at that and say, "Yeah, that's fantastic, don't change a thing."?
    Is hidden empire the mystery one?

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Is hidden empire the mystery one?
    No, it's more of Q'ira. The character has potential as the concept of a criminal empire resisting the Empire is interesting...but Soule somehow makes it as dull as dish water. The stretched thin pacing certainly doesn't help, but his overbearing narration and copious amounts of exposition dumps are a death knell.

The whole Crimson Reign story has been a mess.