Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    No, it's more of Q'ira. The character has potential as the concept of a criminal empire resisting the Empire is interesting...but Soule somehow makes it as dull as dish water. The stretched thin pacing certainly doesn't help, but his overbearing narration and copious amounts of exposition dumps are a death knell.

The whole Crimson Reign story has been a mess.
    Oh ok. I was hoping Jedi Survivor would deal with that but I guess we dodged a bullet.

Latest Vader issue used the bacta Vader from Obi-Wan as a bit of reference, I think.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    No, it's more of Q'ira. The character has potential as the concept of a criminal empire resisting the Empire is interesting...but Soule somehow makes it as dull as dish water. The stretched thin pacing certainly doesn't help, but his overbearing narration and copious amounts of exposition dumps are a death knell.

The whole Crimson Reign story has been a mess.
    I get the sense you're not a big fan of Charles Soules' Star Wars writing (novel and comic-wise) outside maybe the Vader comic?

I'm just ready for this all to inevitably blow up in Qi'ra's face.

Between Qi'ra and Sabe and the other handmaidens from the prequels showing up in Vader I'm kind of wondering if Marvel is going to kill off one of these movie characters.

As far as characters that originated in movies but have been killed off in EU since Disney rebooted it in 2014, I think it's mainly been pretty much several members of Rebel command from ANH and Rogue One in "Hope dies" from the first volume of the comic and Madine in "Aftermath".

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I get the sense you're not a big fan of Charles Soules' Star Wars writing (novel and comic-wise) outside maybe the Vader comic?

I'm just ready for this all to inevitably blow up in Qi'ra's face.
    The character work is solid, and the plots are interesting...but he just drags everything out for far too long. Not every story needs to be a giant event, this whole crimson reign thing should have been like six issues max.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Sui Generis Member Tobei Miyake's Avatar

I'm just playing the waiting game.

I'm waiting for either a relaunch of the main title that picks up after Return of the Jedi. Or a new title that picks up after The Rise of Skywalker.

Either one will do, but preferably the latter.

Problem is after the "Aftermath" novels apparently the main characters and the galaxy at large didn't see that much action until around five years before TFA. Even the Mandalorian's adventures don't have quite the scale of Luke and co.'s major conflicts in the OT.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Problem is after the "Aftermath" novels apparently the main characters and the galaxy at large didn't see that much action until around five years before TFA. Even the Mandalorian's adventures don't have quite the scale of Luke and co.'s major conflicts in the OT.
    Thus far, they don’t have the scale of that yet, and thus far we don‘t have any major action for our favorite characters until five years before TFA.

I think we've entered a period of enough flexibility on continuity and enough greater ambition that the supplementary books and comics trying to downplay the period before TFA are likely to be ignored without explicitly retconning them - especially if Thrawn and a fleet end up as Big Bads for The Mandalorian, even if that entire conflict takes place in the Unknown Regions.

Back in the PT days of the early 00s, the story was supposed to be that the Galaxy was at peace the entree time… but that just meant they realized that planetary and even system-scale war was still on the table, since that’s not Galactic.

They’ve already mostly broken the idea that Luke was an unsuccessful Jedi Master with Leia in TROS and Grogu in The Mandalorian - they can hem and haw on that and use technicalities to try and preserve it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they eventually give that up too.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Both Leia and Grogu kind of ditched their training though for different reasons.

Fantastic Member

With all the What If's Marvel has done why not do a what if series of Star Wars like the infinite's from Dark Horse?
    Please reply.
    Last edited by Xwho; 11-23-2022 at 05:48 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Both Leia and Grogu kind of ditched their training though for different reasons.
    … and yet, let’s be honest, that's strictly a technicality in both cases, but especially with Leia, who completed her training enough to train Rey, and let’s not pretend there isn’t a 90% chance that some future story has Grogu with a lightsaber as a Jedi; he’s got too much time and it’s too tempting. Plus, LFL’s already backstabbed their intial technicality ideas with Ahsoka as well.

There’s all sorts of “half truths and hyperboles”/“true… from a certain point of view” things that already contradict the intent of vast portions of the ST, both within and without it. I mean, we can objectively say that Luke wasn’t the problem in training his Jedi, and that he totally could and effectively did train at least two Jedi who (likely) both survive Ben Solo being a worthless shitstain protected by being Rian Johnson’s man-crush.

All that Luke really needs are either more “I’m technically not a Jedi!” Students/associates, like you could easily supply with pseudo-Kyle Katarn or Mara Jade-like characters, or have some of his students get lost frozen in carbonite or otherwise cut off from the Galaxy, and you’d have a situation that is far more profitable, far more preferable, and let’s be honest, not one that is going to get any actual concerted objections to.

Even the most die hard TLJ fans aren’t that level of killjoy.

And if they don’t do that… then I smell yet more “Dave Filoni’s going to sneak more of his Jedi characters out of the doom they’re supposed to have” situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Xwho View Post
    With all the What If's Marvel has done why not do a what if series of Star Wars like the infinite's from Dark Horse?
    Please reply.
    Part of me wants to see that… but I think that might open LFL to some issues if they do it to the ST and accidentally “prove” that some of the story directions they rejected are better than the ones they went with, creating possible “pull” towards retconning some stuff that they would be unwise to retcon, given the ramifications of doing so.

The bug advantage the MCU has is that the biggest complaints people have are stuff like “Iron Man 3 had a bad Mandarin idea” that could be addressed with a better movie later - with Star Wars, and especially the ST, there’s a lot more “fracture points”.

I mean, imagine if they had two What Ifs, with one being “Rey is a Skywalker” and the other being “Ben Solo survives TROS” - likely both would be more popular with their opposing fan factions than TROS, and both would likely create demand for more stories in those opposing universes than any demand we’ll ever get out of TROS itself.
    Last edited by godisawesome; 11-23-2022 at 08:16 PM.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    … and yet, let’s be honest, that's strictly a technicality in both cases, but especially with Leia, who completed her training enough to train Rey, and let’s not pretend there isn’t a 90% chance that some future story has Grogu with a lightsaber as a Jedi; he’s got too much time and it’s too tempting. Plus, LFL’s already backstabbed their intial technicality ideas with Ahsoka as well.

There’s all sorts of “half truths and hyperboles”/“true… from a certain point of view” things that already contradict the intent of vast portions of the ST, both within and without it. I mean, we can objectively say that Luke wasn’t the problem in training his Jedi, and that he totally could and effectively did train at least two Jedi who (likely) both survive Ben Solo being a worthless shitstain protected by being Rian Johnson’s man-crush.

All that Luke really needs are either more “I’m technically not a Jedi!” Students/associates, like you could easily supply with pseudo-Kyle Katarn or Mara Jade-like characters, or have some of his students get lost frozen in carbonite or otherwise cut off from the Galaxy, and you’d have a situation that is far more profitable, far more preferable, and let’s be honest, not one that is going to get any actual concerted objections to.

Even the most die hard TLJ fans aren’t that level of killjoy.

And if they don’t do that… then I smell yet more “Dave Filoni’s going to sneak more of his Jedi characters out of the doom they’re supposed to have” situations.

Part of me wants to see that… but I think that might open LFL to some issues if they do it to the ST and accidentally “prove” that some of the story directions they rejected are better than the ones they went with, creating possible “pull” towards retconning some stuff that they would be unwise to retcon, given the ramifications of doing so.

The bug advantage the MCU has is that the biggest complaints people have are stuff like “Iron Man 3 had a bad Mandarin idea” that could be addressed with a better movie later - with Star Wars, and especially the ST, there’s a lot more “fracture points”.

I mean, imagine if they had two What Ifs, with one being “Rey is a Skywalker” and the other being “Ben Solo survives TROS” - likely both would be more popular with their opposing fan factions than TROS, and both would likely create demand for more stories in those opposing universes than any demand we’ll ever get out of TROS itself.
    What about not during the ST era but the others?

Extraordinary Member

What about not during the ST era but the others?
    Oh, I think it would work fine then - just like it did previously.

Though you might get a general objection that Star Wars “shouldn’t” do alternate universe stories - even back when they had explicit Infinities, they always seemed to be something LFL was leery about, and it’s notable how much Star Wars Tales became more and more of a canonical book as time went on, suggesting that LFL feels much more comfortable building a single “mythos” than it does splitting off into different realities.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Oh, I think it would work fine then - just like it did previously.

Though you might get a general objection that Star Wars “shouldn’t” do alternate universe stories - even back when they had explicit Infinities, they always seemed to be something LFL was leery about, and it’s notable how much Star Wars Tales became more and more of a canonical book as time went on, suggesting that LFL feels much more comfortable building a single “mythos” than it does splitting off into different realities.
    Could Disney and marvel lead things in a another route?

Extraordinary Member

Could Disney and marvel lead things in a another route?
    They *could*… but right now Marvel seems to mostly base its Star Wars business off of trying to make OT-era stories ad infinitum and occasional tie-in material… but they’re even getting somewhat leery of too much tie-in material since they don't want to have some director contradict their stuff later.

I 5knk they’re quite capable of stuff like Infinites comics and stories - but I don’t think they would.

…Which is partially why I think they should do something like Tales, and just make it “ambiguously canon” where they don’t have to say if it happened or not, and can experiment with stuff that they may be nervous about doing and yet still let directors adapt it or contradict it at will.