Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Sui Generis Member Tobei Miyake's Avatar

I like this variant cover for STAR WARS: SANA STARROS.

Phel Starros, Sana's brother who will make his first appearance in the STAR WARS: SANA STARROS comic series

This Sana Starros miniseries on the whole sounds kind of fun to me.

"Justina and Pere give you the kind of Star Wars joy ride that old and new fans will thrill and smile too," editor Mark Paniccia said. "It's jam-packed with action, hilarity, and characters you're sure to fall in love with. Plus we discover some Starros family secrets that will surprise even Sana!"

Fresh off of a string of disappointments, Sana Starros returns to her family's ancestral home for some downtime. But the reunion is far from relaxing when Stormtroopers crash dinner. They seek answers that only the Starros clan have, and the family finds themself on a collision course with the full might of the Galactic Empire!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tobei Miyake View Post
    I like this variant cover for STAR WARS: SANA STARROS.

This Sana Starros miniseries on the whole sounds kind of fun to me.
    Sounds pretty interesting, glad we're getting a focus on new directions.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

So I haven't read any of the Star Wars comics since Marvel got them back, but I'm looking for a few worthwhile trades. Any suggestions? Preferably featuring the original cast but I won't say no to anything that's got good art and writing. Didn't see a thread for recommendations so I figured I'd ask here.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Occhi seemed a little intimidating in the "Rise" flashback and the insinuation that he was some kind of some Sith fanatic. His design was fairly creepy too with the mostly featureless face and cyborg eyes. Comic keeps his helmet on most of the time though.

Then again, he's also the guy who didn't bother to check Jakku again Rey's mother's obvious deflection and died either from starving or getting eaten by a snake after falling into Quicksand.

I haven't read Shadow of the Sith yet, kind of curious how he's handled in there.

As for recommendations:

The first run by Jason Aaron on Star Wars is pretty good. The Kieron Giellen run ties in a bit more with Disney Star Wars (There's an entire storyline set on what's left of Jedha, and we learn that Rogue Squadron is named after Rogue One) and Larocca's art unfortunately just 'swipes' from the films at times. "Hope Dies" is pretty good from the second half. Continuity-wise, It explains pretty much what happened to the other Rebel generals from Rogue One and the original Star Wars who don't show up in the OT.

The first Vader comic is very good, it's basically Vader reclaiming his reputation after his humiliation at Yavin. It's also a bit like the old "Shadows of the Empire" in that Vader has rivals for the Emperor's favor.

The second isn't quite as good and the writing is a bit more 'out there' with force concepts and what not. It's basically about Vader's "early days" after Revenge of the Sith and before the OT, hunting down Jedi who escaped Order 66, creating his lightsaber, getting used to his condition, building his fortress on Mustafar etc. Also his relationship with Tarkin and attempts to 'ressurect' Padme.

The current volumes of both the monthly and Vader are OK but feature some really drawn out storytelling. They do feature the main characters but also dwell on more recent Disney creations like Qi'ra, Occhi and Holdo as well as the Dameron family.

Doctor Aphra comics are fun but are more comedy-oriented and don't really feature the main characters apart from cameos.

Princess Leia's a good mini.

Shattered Empire's pretty good, it takes place after ROTJ and introduces Poe's parents who are recurring characters in the OT comics.

Poe's own comic is decent but a bit uneven.

The new movie adaptations are decent and feature some stuff that was deleted for the films and some added stuff. Don't look for a Rise of Skywalker one though (Although a non-Marvel graphic novel in a cartoony style does exist), it got delayed because of Covid and Marvel hasn't shown any interest in releasing it yet.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 01-12-2023 at 02:54 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Oochi continues to be the worst part of the Darth Vader book. His pseudo-jive dialogue is just so grating, and he's just plain useless. He's like a lackey from a bad 80's Saturday morning cartoon which just doesn't fit the tone of the book.
    I hate this character so much.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    So I haven't read any of the Star Wars comics since Marvel got them back, but I'm looking for a few worthwhile trades. Any suggestions? Preferably featuring the original cast but I won't say no to anything that's got good art and writing. Didn't see a thread for recommendations so I figured I'd ask here.
    The first run on Star Wars by Jason Aaron from 2015 was one of my favorites, as well as Kieron Gillen Darth Vader. For something slightly apart from the original trilogy characters I'd suggest Doctor Aphra
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Wars View Post
    I hate this character so much.....
    Yeah, I just don't get why he's around. This handmaiden story would be so much better with out him in it.

Oochi continues to be the worst part of the Darth Vader book. His pseudo-jive dialogue is just so grating, and he's just plain useless. He's like a lackey from a bad 80's Saturday morning cartoon which just doesn't fit the tone of the book.
    That's actually why I find him so amusing .

There's a new Vader mini anthology announced, seems to be part of the Black, White and Blood line but also is sort of spiritual sequel to "Dark Visions" I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's actually why I find him so amusing .
    If the rest of the book were in that style it might work, with Vader acting like Cobra Commander...but when the rest of the book is going for the usual Star Wars tone it just sticks out like a sore thumb. There's literally no reason for Vader not to kill him for being a bumbling fool.

If the rest of the book were in that style it might work, with Vader acting like Cobra Commander...but when the rest of the book is going for the usual Star Wars tone it just sticks out like a sore thumb. There's literally no reason for Vader not to kill him for being a bumbling fool.
    I guess to me I enjoy the comedy relief and Ochi being a Vader hype-man and simp, and it never detracted from the tone of the book because Vader is as effective as Vader is and just uses Ochi as a pawn who can at least get some stuff done.

Extraordinary Member

I've always felt like the Poe comic was screwed over when the writers realized that the character was being retconned into an entirely different and much less likable or interesting character by Rian Johnson, with the LFL Story Group's full support, even when the writers were being recruited to write a comic based off a to-be-retconned characterization from TFA.

Ochi has a sort of different thing going on, in my opinion. I think the Story Group and most writers in general have really complex, contradictory feelings about anything from the ST - and while Ochi has a good enough idea to spark their interest without getting into inevitable fights with other creators or audience members because of the baggage that comes form the main ST cast, Ochi is still a weird, purely functional character made up of odd contractions to get his role in TROS's backstory done.

He arguably doesn't fit into the part of the timeline where Vader is still around because of Vader's inability to suffer fools the way Palpatine can and does.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I've always felt like the Poe comic was screwed over when the writers realized that the character was being retconned into an entirely different and much less likable or interesting character by Rian Johnson, with the LFL Story Group's full support, even when the writers were being recruited to write a comic based off a to-be-retconned characterization from TFA.

Ochi has a sort of different thing going on, in my opinion. I think the Story Group and most writers in general have really complex, contradictory feelings about anything from the ST - and while Ochi has a good enough idea to spark their interest without getting into inevitable fights with other creators or audience members because of the baggage that comes form the main ST cast, Ochi is still a weird, purely functional character made up of odd contractions to get his role in TROS's backstory done.

He arguably doesn't fit into the part of the timeline where Vader is still around because of Vader's inability to suffer fools the way Palpatine can and does.
    For me I think Ochi gets around it by being a useful fool that can more or less accomplish what Vader needs him to do.

Jody Houser's new Yoda story with Count Dooku was a fantastic story, can't wait to see the conversation he has with Yoda as a force ghost.

Does it make sense that Dooku could be a force ghost? No, but I really want to see what they talk about; does Dooku regret falling for Palpatine's seduction? Does he have advice on Luke?

I think it's sort of been confirmed that Sith force ghosts are a thing in the canon, we see it with the Inquisitor (Although there seem to be two contradictory versions, one a good one in the Lothal temple and another 'evil' one employed by Vader), the ones we see in the original Clone Wars finale (Yoda on Moriband) and of course presumabely that's how Palpatine made it to his second(?) body and how he would possess Rey.

Going by the comics at least,They generally don't seem to be as powerful or content as Jedi ones, and seem to 'haunt' certain locations or objects (Again, with the exception of Palpatine?) while Jedi ghosts seem to have more freedom to pop up in different places rather than where they died.

BTW although I brought it up in another thread, any thoughts on Lando and Holdo?