Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

So the shop had already ordered Star wars #37 for me and I didn't feel like stiffing them with an extra copy, but man is this event even worse than I thought. There was absolutely nothing here to get you hooked on the threat or even hinting at what it was so there was zero forward momentum from the preview issue.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I really liked it !
    I like seeing Lando being the central character and his friendship with Lobo.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel Wars View Post
    I really liked it !
    I like seeing Lando being the central character and his friendship with Lobo.
    Lando being the focus was cool...but what is the evil sith robot's goal? Why should we feel our heroes are threatened?
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Kind of seems they are kind of still moving Lando's character progression and trust issues with the rebellion a bit slowly. Maybe he doesn't really earn Leia and the Rebels total trust until the Han mission?

The General bit in ROTJ does seem to be a recent promotion by Han's dialogue, but then again Han's spent a year frozen so it can be taken either way I guess.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    It's kind of interesting in many ways because they were made as the films were coming out so they had to tread a bit carefully. After the movie adaptation, the Empire/Vader didn't really show up for a year, and Vader was largely sidelined by villains like the Tagge family.
    I loved the House of Tagge family. They were all great villains especially Orman and Domina, but Silas, Cassio, and Ulric were good too. They all had their own distinct personalities. If Disney ever wanted to bring them into live action I would be all for it.

Kind of wonder what the thinking was back then of taking a side character (If an interesting one) from the Death Star council and making him part of a wealthy family with the Marvel writers.

Even before bringing Domina back in Aphra the current Disney-era comics seem to pay tribute to that by having Cassio survive ANH (presumabely having left the station at some point-like Vader, he wasn't particularly a fan of it) and be the original commander of the Executor before Vader and a rival in the first Vader comics.

Dies eventually by Vader's "hand", in front of Ozzel no less.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 08-10-2023 at 02:30 PM.

I haven't been keeping up with most of the Star Wars comics as I hated the Droids event but I picked up the Peach Momoko Visions issue and it was pretty decent. And while I like a good wordless comic, especially when the art is as gorgeous as Peach's, and although the main thrust of the plot was easy enough to follow visually it didn't really hit home emotionally. Silent comics work well when you already know the characters so you already know their back grounds and motivations and can easily read their emotions visually, or with non-human characters where you don't want to anthropomorphize them(Like Age or Reptiles) but with a more complex plot and completely new characters there was a distinct lack of tension. I fully got that there was some Sith magic that was infecting people and that a Jedi and her friends defeated the Sith...I ultimately didn't care all that much because I had no idea who the young, presumably jedi, woman was or why I should care about her or her friends(was one of them a robot?) so there wasn't a real sense of danger because I had no connection to the heroes or understanding of what was really going on.

It looked gorgeous though, and I like the idea of just letting creators do what they want in the Galaxy Far, Far Away so I'm still a fan of the concept of Visions even if this one wasn't the best use of the concept.

The Dark Droids storyline is pretty meh, but I have to admit a lot of the art for Vader in particular has been pretty good.

One thing that kind of bugs me is a lot of Palpatine and Vader trying to kill each other-it kind of further takes away from ROTJ IMO. Although I suppose in ROTJ he still does it for mostly selfless reasons.....

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-w...saber-for-hire

A new miniseries set in the High Republic was announced. It's a 4 miniseries titled "Saber for hire" centered around Ty Yorrick, a former jedi turned monster hunter.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-08-2023 at 02:32 PM.

Looks like Aphra and Bounty Hunters are ending after Dark Droids ends.

Still curious what plans they're having for the ongoings as it seems they're getting closer to ROTJ.

A new ongoing (Maybe not the regular title?) perhaps set during the OT-ST gap but focusing on a different set of characters like Mandalorian/Ahsoka/Book of Boba Fett/Skeleton Crew could be interesting, as long as it doesn't step on the toes of those series. Marvel does have a Mandalorian monthly but it's just comic adaptations of the series episodes.

Or perhaps a series leading into one of the new movies (provided one of them manages to get made?)
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 12-21-2023 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Looks like Aphra and Bounty Hunters are ending after Dark Droids ends.

Still curious what plans they're having for the ongoings as it seems they're getting closer to ROTJ.

A new ongoing (Maybe not the regular title?) perhaps set during the OT-ST gap but focusing on a different set of characters like Mandalorian/Ahsoka/Book of Boba Fett/Skeleton Crew could be interesting, as long as it doesn't step on the toes of those series. Marvel does have a Mandalorian monthly but it's just comic adaptations of the series episodes.

Or perhaps a series leading into one of the new movies (provided one of them manages to get made?)
    I can see them filling out the OT-ST gap but it would be kind of funny if they do Prequel comics.

Mighty Member

There are two Prequel-era books slated for 2024 and we already have Windu and Jango comics. I wouldn't be shocked if Marvel goes full Prequel (specifically, between TPM and AOTC) for the line for a couple years.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

They are doing yet another big event directly after this dark droids series. I'm blaming completionists for this, because they wouldn't keep doing event after event if someone wasn't buying them.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    They are doing yet another big event directly after this dark droids series. I'm blaming completionists for this, because they wouldn't keep doing event after event if someone wasn't buying them.
    What's the next event? And is it really an event if there are only two books in that era?
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    There are two Prequel-era books slated for 2024 and we already have Windu and Jango comics. I wouldn't be shocked if Marvel goes full Prequel (specifically, between TPM and AOTC) for the line for a couple years.
    There's certainly some room there I think, it's an era three times longer than the Clone Wars.

Although there's been some stuff in-between with Anakin and Obi-Wan (Some comics) Padme (The YA novels) and even Ahsoka's early years, etc. I'm sure they can figure out some more stuff to fill the gap.