Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

There is no world in which Jeph Loeb is a better writer than Simone, Giffen, Levitz, Ostrander, or Rucka.

Extraordinary Member

Updated 10.24.22

Taylor above Rucka, Ostrander, Simone, Barks

Guess cheap fanservice gets you some fans.

Jack Kirby at 23.

From my bias could put together an argument that he deserves to be even higher, maybe much higher.

But actually, I feel it’s a result that shows there is widespread acceptance that he was a darn good writer as well as a great artist. And that actually cheers me up.

Tom King even on this list? Did they not read Batman or Hero's in Crisis?
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Extraordinary Member

Updated 10.26.22 - An all-star line-up in this group for sure.

I was expecting Denny O Neil to be in the top 10 & Marv Wolfman to be not so far behind.....the curse of getting old I guess.

At this point I'm predicting Grant Morrison & Geoff Johns to be number 1 & 2, Frank Miller in the top 10.

Who else...I imagine Chuck Dixon will be up there provided his reputation hasn't been too tarnished. Neil Gaiman, John Byrne, Alan Moore, Kevin Smith, Ed Brubaker, Garth Ennis, Mike Grell (He's probably on the artists list) Len Wein probably won't make the cut...too old.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

I'm shocked Kirkman is so low on the list considering The Walking Dead was a pop culture staple for the 2010s. Invincible has ushered in a new era of superhero animation. Surprised Mark Millar is so low too considering his work has been the most adapted for the non-Big Two. Leob's Batman:Long Halloween and Batman: Hush is what The Death of Superman is to Dan Jurgen. Marv Wolfman at 19?! Give me a break. Jack Kirby at 23? Bullshit. He should be top ten or top five for his contribution to the medium.
    Many of these names should be ranked MUCH higher.

If Stan Lee is above Kirby, this list is purely based on popularity then. Rather than their accomplishments and body of work.
    Last edited by DABellWrites; 10-26-2022 at 11:12 PM. Reason: Fixed some stuff and added stuff.

Retired

While it's depressing to see that voters know so little about comics of the past, it's not that surprising. This should simply drive us to better educate the readers coming after us, so they can see the big picture of how comic books developed and the individuals who did that work.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nostalgia View Post
    I was expecting Denny O Neil to be in the top 10 & Marv Wolfman to be not so far behind.....the curse of getting old I guess.

At this point I'm predicting Grant Morrison & Geoff Johns to be number 1 & 2, Frank Miller in the top 10.

Who else...I imagine Chuck Dixon will be up there provided his reputation hasn't been too tarnished. Neil Gaiman, John Byrne, Alan Moore, Kevin Smith, Ed Brubaker, Garth Ennis, Mike Grell (He's probably on the artists list) Len Wein probably won't make the cut...too old.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.
    I hope to goodness Geoff Johns does not get close to number 1 or 2! (Yes, subjective I know.)

Of the others you mention, think probables in top 10 (in no particular order) are Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore, Ed Brubaker, Garth Ennis, Grant Morrison, John Bryne, Frank Miller.

Less likely Kevin Smith, Mike Grell (would love to be wrong on that), Len Wein, and Chuck Dixon

Won’t Stan Lee be in top 10 because of his overall impact on comics? (Yes…know lots of doubts over how credit should be apportioned between him and various great artists. And I share those doubts.)

I’d love to see Alan Moore win…partly because of his longevity across the decades, the sheer variety of his work, and the sheer quality of his best work.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 10-27-2022 at 04:04 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Wondering if Mark Waid will make the list? He's a favorite of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Wondering if Mark Waid will make the list? He's a favorite of mine.
    Forgot about him, and James Robinson as well. I could see Waid in the top 10 and James Robinson in the top 20, provided the majority of people voting aren't too young.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I hope to goodness Geoff Johns does not get close to number 1 or 2! (Yes, subjective I know.)

Of the others you mention, think probables in top 10 (in no particular order) are Neil Gaiman, Alan Moore, Ed Brubaker, Garth Ennis, Grant Morrison, John Bryne, Frank Miller.

Less likely Kevin Smith, Mike Grell (would love to be wrong on that), Len Wein, and Chuck Dixon

Won’t Stan Lee be in top 10 because of his overall impact on comics? (Yes…know lots of doubts over how credit should be apportioned between him and various great artists. And I share those doubts.)

I’d love to see Alan Moore win…partly because of his longevity across the decades, the sheer variety of his work, and the sheer quality of his best work.
    Lol, I sort of feel the same way about Grant Morrison (Granted I have not read enough of his work) but his Green Lantern couldn't hold a candle to Geoff Johns work....personal taste though; subjective as you say.

I think Neil Gaiman has to be a shoe in for the top 10, and I still think Frank Miller will sneak in there. (The Dark Knight has to account for something), but your probably right on Kevin Smith & Mike Grell......though I hope your wrong to. Their Green Arrow runs are classics!

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I guess it's nice enough to see Garth Ennis at 15. And Roger Stern at 17. Big fan of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    There is no world in which Jeph Loeb is a better writer than Simone, Giffen, Levitz, Ostrander, or Rucka.
    IMHO, Long Halloween is such a strong work (some disagree however), especially with Loeb's writing of Harvey Dent (and other characters), that I can see it, not to mention Superman For All Seasons and some of his Marvel stories and some S/B. I fully believe certain limited stories can make one writer better than others out there maybe with more work. I definitely do not think too much of Simone or Ostrander, and I say that as someone who likes some of their work. Loeb has a market for meat-and-potatoes type conventional superhero stories (as one fan on here described it), and he does it well many times.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 10-27-2022 at 01:57 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Garth Ennis at 15. His Hellblazer was second to none.

The glory days of Vertigo, when comics made money, and obscure off the beat and path heroes like Constantine could still rise to the forefront.

On a side note, I just realized that this is top 50 comic writers, not top 50 DC comic writers.....changes things for me, as well I like Marvel, I've primarily been DC all my life.

Extraordinary Member

Updated 10.28.22 - sorry for the delay in posting. Got caught up in some other stuff yesterday.