Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default David Finch Discusses Wonder Woman's Design, '90s 'Bad Girl' Craze

David Finch discusses Wonder Woman's New 52 look, Gal Gadot's costume, and how recent controversies affect his approach to illustrating the iconic character.

Full article here.

I'm Drowning For You Imraith Nimphais's Avatar

Once he keeps the cheese-cake-arse-back-chest-out-swimsuit-model poses to a minimum...and gives us more strong, powerful and "realistic" fighting/combat poses (when she's in action)...I'm good.
    Sun and Moon
    STORM #1...Greg Pak (W) Victor Ibanez (A/CA)...July 23rd 2014
    Those who embrace nature are in turn embraced by her.

He says the right things but...i dont know man.
    One issue Finch!

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Bring back the pants.

All-New Member

I'm puzzled by the fact that the interviewer seems to think it odd that someone could like the movie costume. I think the movie costume is the best representation of Wonder Woman we've ever gotten.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by morgothsenior View Post
    I'm puzzled by the fact that the interviewer seems to think it odd that someone could like the movie costume. I think the movie costume is the best representation of Wonder Woman we've ever gotten.
    I got yer back Finch! I'll be buying every copy of Wonder Woman you draw. Then again I'm already buying the series, but I'm in it to win it.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I'm interested to find out why Wonder Woman will be fighting the Amazons in the 2nd issue of the Finchs' run. Any number of Wonder Woman villains could be influencing/controlling the Amazons(and Swamp Thing) into fighting Wonder Woman such as:

Strife
    Dr. Psycho
    Duke of Deception
    Osira
    Hypnota
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

I don't know how much more "mainstream" Wonder Woman can possibly get. She's got as high a profile as Superman and Batman, minus the movies. I don't think she needs to be "mainstreamed" any more than she already is. I also think her costume is just fine the way it is. Her costume's color scheme might change, but the overall design is the same as it's been for decades. I don't think she should be entering the whole Spider-Woman controversy, if that even is a controversy. I think it is possible for there to be a balance between making Wonder Woman appeal to women without making her overtly sexual. She's not Emma Frost. She's not Catwoman. She's never used her sexuality as a weapon. She really doesn't need to and I don't think she needs to start.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

Some of his comments surprised me, especially considering the way he drew Catwoman in JLA not long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    I don't know how much more "mainstream" Wonder Woman can possibly get. She's got as high a profile as Superman and Batman, minus the movies. I don't think she needs to be "mainstreamed" any more than she already is. I also think her costume is just fine the way it is. Her costume's color scheme might change, but the overall design is the same as it's been for decades. I don't think she should be entering the whole Spider-Woman controversy, if that even is a controversy. I think it is possible for there to be a balance between making Wonder Woman appeal to women without making her overtly sexual. She's not Emma Frost. She's not Catwoman. She's never used her sexuality as a weapon. She really doesn't need to and I don't think she needs to start.

David explained in the article that what he meant by "mainstream" was that he and Meredith would be integrating Wonder Woman more fully into the DC Universe in her solo book.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBeast View Post
    First the interviewer tries to shame Finch by pedantically stressing how "there really is an effort to desexualize women in comics".

Then the interviewer critiques Gal Gadot's costume as "very conservative".

So, you know, you can't freaking win with some people. They are going to complain about 90% of what's out there no matter what. They have been trained to analyze things hard to see terrifying motivations behind every detail of the culture (which actually does a disservice, because when every little faux pas becomes a scandal, the actual problems and prejudices become relatively trivialized).

On the other hand, I could pick at Finch by saying that he made it seem like men would only be interested in WW as an "object" (in contrast to "a female audience who want to relate with the character as a human being and not just an object"). But who freaking cares. I'd rather just read the comics already and judge them on their own merits, not on how well or how poorly an artist fields a minefield of "gotcha!" questions.

I'd have loved it if Finch's wife actually ghostwrote his responses to all of these WW interviews. Then when the comics "journalists" attacked him, they could have just said "Actually, those were Meredith's answers."
    I don't know that "conservative" here necessarily relates to the sexiness of the costume, but how outlandishly super-hero-y it is. The Gadot costume (assuming we discuss the mostly-brown version that was presented, although word on the street is that it is actually more colorful than that), isn't the Lyndia Carter satin tights. It's a much more traditional ancient-Greek-type outfit like we would have seen in Gladiator or Troy, not as much as super-hero costume.

Also, it's not unreasonable for someone to dislike the movie costume. It is quite a departure from many peoples' expectations.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I'm interested to find out why Wonder Woman will be fighting the Amazons in the 2nd issue of the Finchs' run. Any number of Wonder Woman villains could be influencing/controlling the Amazons(and Swamp Thing) into fighting Wonder Woman such as:

Strife
    Dr. Psycho
    Duke of Deception
    Osira
    Hypnota
    Other than Strife, I'd be happy to see any or all of these.

Even I, devout mythology-nut that I am, am more than ready for a nice, long vacation from myth-based Wonder-rogues. Well, I suppose Circe can be an exception.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard-01 View Post
    Other than Strife, I'd be happy to see any or all of these.

Even I, devout mythology-nut that I am, am more than ready for a nice, long vacation from myth-based Wonder-rogues. Well, I suppose Circe can be an exception.

I doubt that it's Strife unless she's playing a sub-role to the villain that the Finchs are reintroducing in the New 52. Are there any other Wonder-rogues who can control/manipulate people?

BANNED

I doubt that it's Strife unless she's playing a sub-role to the villain that the Finchs are reintroducing in the New 52. Are there any other Wonder-rogues who can control/manipulate people?
    I'd say if you need that to happen in a Wonder Woman story, Dr. Psycho should be your go-to guy.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Other than the people you listed?

Zara could maybe have some new kind of manipulation power.

Queen Clea never had mind control before. But she does have magic, so that helps.

Other than that? Devastation messed with people's minds, didn't she? If not, maybe she should.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--