Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    And shortly canceled thereafter (*via exploding bus for old times sake*) just like the original efforts to have them take over the title. People didn't embrace the "New Mutants" books featuring these characters or similar ones to them before,no reason to think they will now.
    Really???

Let me put this in perspective for EVERYBODY.....

Teen Titans and X-Men FAILED and had low sales. What would have happened if Marvel and DC choose NOT to hire Chris Claremont for X-Men or Wolfman, Wein and Perez for Teen Titans when they did?

Or felt Wolverine was a one time thing Hulk and not bring him over to X-Men.

Or what if Marvel felt Kirby's shot with Black Panther ongoing was enough and let Priest do his Falcon book after Cap America & Falcon run instead of his Black Panther run?

Or Marvel told Fabian and Mark Bagley they could not do a book with FAIL solos stars Speedball & Nova and collecting dusting Justice, Namorita & Firestar with new person Night Thrasher. We would have never gotten New Warriors vol 1.

We would have lost what 20+ movies, 7 tv shows and 1000+ solo and team issues.

Supergirl was RETIRED by DC and killed off.
    Squirrel Girl was ROTTING in limbo.
    Jason Todd was tossed away.

All 3 got more solos issues than many of the X-Men that so many have used to trash Synch and X-Men Academy kids.

More folks talk about Synch and Academy kids MORE than Shuri-who has a movie coming out.

Synch was in a book that went 75 issues.
    Hellion was in one that went 45.

There are some folks who can't do that. Despite having the most active appreciation threads and folks SCREAMING for a book.

Note that Hellion was in the 13 issue New Mutants run, which became the 46 issue New X-Men run. He and his squad also had their own 4 issue miniseries. Afterwards, they were used on and off in the main books for a few years, until we got deeper into the Lost Decade. Hellion and his friends did pretty well for their first outing, all things considered. Marvel just refuses to accept that these kids are catchy, offensive, brutal and gross, but with youth appeal. They fear their power.

Circling back to the youth book idea, has anyone thought about the Five? Elixir was a New Mutant, and all the other members of the Five are teenagers. The book could easily bring them back at some point, focusing on them as people instead of powers. If they bring even younger mutants in, it could be the perfect opportunity to show them take on an unofficial teaching role, and giving people even more reason to adore them.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Note that Hellion was in the 13 issue New Mutants run, which became the 46 issue New X-Men run. He and his squad also had their own 4 issue miniseries. Afterwards, they were used on and off in the main books for a few years, until we got deeper into the Lost Decade. Hellion and his friends did pretty well for their first outing, all things considered. Marvel just refuses to accept that these kids are catchy, offensive, brutal and gross, but with youth appeal. They fear their power.

Circling back to the youth book idea, has anyone thought about the Five? Elixir was a New Mutant, and all the other members of the Five are teenagers. The book could easily bring them back at some point, focusing on them as people instead of powers. If they bring even younger mutants in, it could be the perfect opportunity to show them take on an unofficial teaching role, and giving people even more reason to adore them.
    Proteus teaching Cosima how to use her reality manipulation powers to control her form, or Tempus having a time-manipulator boot camp with Tempo, Timeslip, Kiden Nixon, Sway, Lacuna and the Monroe twins (or even more specialized time-based mutants like Flashback, Timeshadow, Velocidad or the various precogs or postcognitives), or Elixer and Triage and the Morlock Healer having a healer's class, could be neat. Hope kind of subs in for anything, since she can do just about anything, and that leaves Egg, who has the most unique mutant ability of the Five and wouldn't really have much to teach others.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Frankly I've always liked the idea of this title rotating the focus on the different classes for a few arcs each. Highlight what they're up to, how they may be contributing to Krakoa, relations with their families. Start with Academy X then move to Gen X then OG New Mutants, with newbies sprinkled throughout. We can get a glimpse at the Hellions too. Then Marvel can assess sales and see what's up.
    This is what I had hoped the title would be with occasional cross-generational team ups for whatever reason. As much as I love the OG New Mutants, it would be nice to see the others.

Astonishing Member

Tbh, of all the Five, I just really want Proteus to be an actual CHARACTER. He's someone who's been around forever, has a huge impact on the franchise, and yet as a fully fleshed out character rather than a fairly two-dimensional antagonist, we've never really had much opportunity to learn anything about him beyond the big obvious beats like "sucky childhood and a little bit crazy, and thus I rawr!"

Like yeah the scene from the Hellfire Gala special where he was like if I'm being used at least now I'm being used to create, that was a nice moment, but let's see his actual CHARACTER and like....do stuff with him as an individual, y'know?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Tbh, of all the Five, I just really want Proteus to be an actual CHARACTER. He's someone who's been around forever, has a huge impact on the franchise, and yet as a fully fleshed out character rather than a fairly two-dimensional antagonist, we've never really had much opportunity to learn anything about him beyond the big obvious beats like "sucky childhood and a little bit crazy, and thus I rawr!"

Like yeah the scene from the Hellfire Gala special where he was like if I'm being used at least now I'm being used to create, that was a nice moment, but let's see his actual CHARACTER and like....do stuff with him as an individual, y'know?
    Oh hell yeah, it feels like there was a huge story sort of waiting about him and his mother's relationship.

In previous lives, Moira had to lock her son in a cage because of his mutation, and when he got out, he'd do fun family bonding stuff like possess his father and creepily threaten his mother in dad's body until finally killing dear old dad... And then Moira creates a better world, in which there's a mutant paradise and her son is not only no longer 'the thing under the stairs' but is a celebrated and vital part of the mutant miracle, with his own built-in circle of friends (the others in the Five). There's gotta be boat-loads of guilt for how Moira, the world's foremost recognized authority on genetic mutation, could only basically serve as a prison warden *to her own son.* And that's just Moira's magazine rack full of issues about it. What about Kevin, and what he feels?

He *seems* to be riding high as pretty much a linchpin of mutant paradise, but he's deliberately chosen a sexless form for himself. Does he even remember once creepily stalking his mom in his dad's body, and is he repressing his entire sexual awakening out of self-loathing? Or has he no memory of that 'past timeline,' and is he perhaps simply asexual by nature? A mini exploring the Five, and perhaps highlighting some of the stuff we've seen hinted at in other books (like them hating Quentin's endless catalog of desired upgrades), could be neat. We'd get to see their 'day job,' resurrecting some old favorites perhaps (like the cool sequence of Wind-Dancer being resurrected in X-Factor), and also see what they get up after they clock out and are no longer on the job. Do any of them have relationships, or even friendships outside of the Five? Is Hope always dashing off to hang out with Cable and leaving the other four sort of like 'now what?' Do Tempus and Goldballs remain in contact with anyone from 'their generation,' like Triage? Is Elixir still hopelessly in hate/love with Hellion? (not sure I'm even kidding about that last part...)

Seriously though, Elixir was a *vastly* different character in the Academy X years, than he has been in the Age of Krakoa, when he's sort of seemed like the calm and authoritative voice of the Five for well over a year, before someone remembered that Hope was supposed to be a big deal and she stepped up to start speaking for them all the time. Back in the day, he was petty, picked fights (once waiting for Colossus to armor down before hitting him in the back of the head with a steel rod!), fooled around and cheated on girlfriends, and even his patience-of-a-saint roommate Prodigy told him off for creating so much drama. He's practically a completely different character now, and I'd like to see some sort of reason for this growth.

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    I like the idea of 'New Mutant' becoming a Krakoan political ideology and "The New Mutant Party" gaining traction as a foreground storyline.
    Hmmm Interesting....what would be their party's ideaology? LEaders? First dissenters? Opposition?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Back in the day, he was petty, picked fights (once waiting for Colossus to armor down before hitting him in the back of the head with a steel rod!), fooled around and cheated on girlfriends, and even his patience-of-a-saint roommate Prodigy told him off for creating so much drama. He's practically a completely different character now, and I'd like to see some sort of reason for this growth.
    I wouldn't hate seeing Petty Elixir again lol
    GrindrStone(D)

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Mercury starts cosplaying as human archetypes and just flat out becomes a Ideological Supremacist. Cheerleader costume becomes a staple, hair gets sleeker, Violent non Radical casual class trash surprises her friends who have long stopped using the term "flatscan" if ever. Organic non dissociative progression of her Krakoan Identarianism.

BANNED

Jokes aside, I would like a multi-era book. Academy X is neglected and all, but when was the last time we even saw Laurie do anything? Or Sprite? Did Velocidad do anything after he died post-Disassembled? They've been weirdly pushing Shark-Girl in the Voices book, she got stories 2 years in a row. It'd be great to see the WHOLE next generation of mutants get time to shine.
    Hey, maybe Iara Dos Santos will get a full-time boyfriend in this book

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

What does the future hold for New Mutants? An ongoing book, I would hope.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    What does the future hold for New Mutants? An ongoing book, I would hope.
    Well there is currently one and it does not seem it is ending soon, is it?
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Well there is currently one and it does not seem it is ending soon, is it?
    Nothing has been announced but I know my Marvel, I think the book is done after the current guest-writer arc. I'm just hoping a relaunch immediately follows.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    Hey, maybe Iara Dos Santos will get a full-time boyfriend in this book
    Wasn't she dating the dude who serial-dated Sofia, (three of) the Cuckoos and Laura? Oh, but that was positively ages ago. He's probably three girlfriends past her by now.

Appropo of nothing, I *need* to see a bickersons team-up between Roberto DaCosta and Julian Keller. Two egos the size of solar systems, trying to fit on the same page? Yes, please.

2023: The Year of Hellion. The reason why he's not in any other books is because he, Sofia and the other Academy X students will have a home here.

Tune in for New Mutants #1, celebrating the 20th anniversary of the Academy X students.
    What would Hellion look like these days?
    How does he style his hair? Is it cut different? Grown out? What's his aesthetic?

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    What would Hellion look like these days?
    How does he style his hair? Is it cut different? Grown out? What's his aesthetic?
    I can't help but picture Hellion when I see this dude, just with gloves and a X (or maybe an H if he's made up with Emma?) instead of a S.

00.jpg
    01ddeb1843f5b8b7d2be31545ecd2371.jpg
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...